JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

If you live in this area...

I knew a sister from Babylon NY. Their congregation is called: The Babylon Congregation. The brothers hated it so much they asked the Bethel brothers if they could change it. They said that since it was named after the town, they'd have to keep it. I don't know if it is still named that since this was at the beginning of the last century.

When I go to a get-together I would never call them 'deviled eggs' I always refer to them as 'theocratic eggs.' :yes:

When I go to a get-together I would never call them 'deviled eggs' I always refer to them as 'theocratic eggs.' :yes:

You serious?

Call'em what you want, they sure are tasty! :eat:

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Bob... laugh it up!!!! :bouncing:

I do like to say that and make the explanation that I hate giving Satan any credit for anything! They always laugh! :raspberry:

Interesting snippet from Wikipedia...

The term "deviled" dates back to the 19th century, referring to the use of particularly hot spices in cooking... the term "deviled", in reference to food, was in use in the 18th century, with the first known print reference appearing in 1786. In the 19th century, it came to be used most often with spicy or zesty food, including eggs prepared with mustard, pepper or other ingredients stuffed in the yolk cavity.

In some parts of the Southern and Midwestern United States, the terms "salad eggs" or "dressed eggs" are used, particularly when the dish is served in connection with a church function - presumably to avoid dignifying the word "deviled".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deviled_egg

I am privy towards hot and spicy food... which must mean I am very fond of deviled dishes :devil2::eat:

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Dismal_Bliss

I am privy towards hot and spicy food... which must mean I am very fond of deviled dishes :devil2::eat:

LOL!!!!!

I would be in trouble if I had born into a 'spicy food cultured family.' Spicy food makes me ill. If I taste any kind of pepper (not green ones, obviously) my lips begin to swell. Just one taste and this happens. I have Irish heritage and potatoes are as spicy as I get! Yet from the Italian side I do love garlic and other non-spicy foods.

How about things named after other beings: Angel food cake (so light and airy you feel like you can fly!), Devil's food cake (so delicious that it must be a sin to eat it!).

Personally I LOVE deviled eggs and can make them really well. UMMMM! :chef:

Dismal_Bliss

LOL!!!!!

I would be in trouble if I had born into a 'spicy food cultured family.' Spicy food makes me ill. If I taste any kind of pepper (not green ones, obviously) my lips begin to swell. Just one taste and this happens. I have Irish heritage and potatoes are as spicy as I get! Yet from the Italian side I do love garlic and other non-spicy foods.

How about things named after other beings: Angel food cake (so light and airy you feel like you can fly!), Devil's food cake (so delicious that it must be a sin to eat it!).

Personally I LOVE deviled eggs and can make them really well. UMMMM! :chef:

OK, I get it now. One side of tongue is Irish and the other Italian. Spicy food goes in one side of mouth and non-spicy the other. Just put the deviled-egg in the Italian side of mouth and you won't have to rename it.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

In Ohio about an hour east of Columbus there is a camp ground named Hocking Hills and they have a hiking trail called "Devil's Basin." I believe there is also "Devil's Bathtub" there also. My family, friends and I go there every year around the last weekend in October and stay in the cabins at Hocking Hills State Park.