JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 706 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

As my wife and I were watching the TODAY show a news report on a kidnapped victim (Sherri Patini)  who is alive had been abducted and her weight down to around 87 pounds.   In the news shot on the today show it showed a Kingdom Hall that was taped off.     What caught me and my wife's attention was the JW.ORG sign on the side of the Hall.     Does anyone know how this may be related to the kidnap victim?   Just curious.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by A fellow servant

No real idea but if the name is papini not patini then the only info a quick search in google brings up is that she knocked on the door of a local church when released by the side of a road.  (The church is a kingdom hall.)  Who knows if that is true.

Edited by Mykyl

3 hours ago, A fellow servant said:

In the news shot on the today show it showed a Kingdom Hall that was taped off.     What caught me and my wife's attention was the JW.ORG sign on the side of the Hall.   

http://www.today.com/video/abducted-mom-sherri-papini-s-husband-she-has-been-branded-820762179981

Sherri Papini today show.jpg

2 hours ago, Jmystro said:

News reports state that she knocked at a church.

Closest church to where she was found is a KH.

https://goo.gl/maps/kmKEWUR9P5U2

Woodlawn CA KH

I gave a talk there many years ago, I missed the exit and it made me late for the talk..:(

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

23 minutes ago, futurepromise said:

I searched for a report that she knocked on a church.  I did not find anything mentioning that.  Please tell us where you found the article.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/11/29/husband-abducted-calif-mom-sherri-papini-addresses-rumors/94593338/

Thats the first two that popped up in a search.

4 minutes ago, Mykyl said:

"We weren't specific on how she was restrained," he said. "After being released, dropped off, however you want to refer to it, she walked to a nearby church, and then nobody was there, and then walked to I-5 near Road 17, where she flagged down a motorist."

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

"We weren't specific on how she was restrained," he said. "After being released, dropped off, however you want to refer to it, she walked to a nearby church, and then nobody was there, and then walked to I-5 near Road 17, where she flagged down a motorist."

Sorry about that, meant to post what it said. Doesn't mention Kingdom Hall, just a church.

Edited by Mykyl

2 hours ago, vern said:

awe.. she got there in the off ours.....  i hate the picture.. makes it look like a crime scene....

That's because it is a crime scene - at least until they clear it. This is not necessarily because anything bad happened there; it's because she visited that location before being "rescued." I suspect the police will want to search the whole area she travelled (between being dumped and rescued) to see if she was followed, or in case something fell off her clothing/body that they could use as evidence. 

Richard,

That is what was not clear to us when we had heard the news briefly.     We were sure hoping it wasn't a bad publicity on Jehovah's people.    But something good may come out of their showing the JW.ORG   on the screen.     Maybe some people will be curious and look it up ......including the police that were investigating.   I'm trying to look at some of the positive on the JW.ORG being flashed across our television screens.  

The news keeps saying that she was branded in some way but they wont say what it is.

Maybe I watch too much TV but my guess is that she was kidnapped and was going to be sold to someone out of the country. The brand may indicate who her new owner was supposed to be. Maybe the deal failed and the kidnappers decided to let her go..

From the little I've heard, your suspicions are correct. But because her story was all over the media and she was getting too well known and easily recognized, they felt they couldn't really 'sell' her or use her the way they intended, so they let her go.

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

4 minutes ago, morningdove said:

From the little I've heard, your suspicions are correct. But because her story was all over the media and she was getting too well known and easily recognized, they felt they couldn't really 'sell' her or use her the way they intended, so they let her go.

I suspect that if they planned to smuggle her out of the country they would have done it despite the media coverage, I suspect the buyer cancelled and the sellers didn't want to risk being caught for murder, so they let her go.

Did anyone see the 20/20 interview with the husband on Friday night?  I felt uneasy the whole show watching her husbands response/actions to the questions.  I hate to admit it but I felt from his behavior that he had something to do with it.  I was surprised when they 'cleared' him.  I know he was under unimaginable stress but I still find his reactions so bizarre and unsettling. 

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

You didn't think his actions were strange?  The crying and his description of his first seeing her in the hospital?  I understand his intense emotional state but the crying just did not seem....real...some of his descriptions when he spoke about his children and their comments and actions just seemed off...

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

2 minutes ago, LeslieDean said:

You didn't think his actions were strange?  The crying and his description of his first seeing her in the hospital?  I understand his intense emotional state but the crying just did not seem....real...some of his descriptions when he spoke about his children and their comments and actions just seemed off...

Was it a live broadcast or edited?

No telling how many takes it took to do the full interview.  I'm surprised he could talk at all and relive the events...

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)