JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2016

Wednesday, December 30

There are new heavens and a new earth that we are awaiting.—2 Pet. 3:13.

To please God, decisive action is needed. Recall Elijah’s words to the Baal worshippers and the apostate Israelites at Mount Carmel: “How long will you be limping upon two different opinions? If Jehovah is the true God, go following him; but if Baal is, go following him.” (1 Ki. 18:21) The sons of Israel knew what they ought to do, but they were “limping” with indecision. In sharp contrast, years earlier, Joshua set a fine example when he told the Israelites: “If it is bad in your eyes to serve Jehovah, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve . . . As for me and my household, we shall serve Jehovah.” (Josh. 24:15) Joshua and those who stuck with him were blessed with settling in the Promised Land, “a land flowing with milk and honey.” (Josh. 5:6) As the Greater Joshua, Jesus is now poised to bring this corrupt system to its end and lead his followers to the promised new world of righteousness. w13 9/15 4:15, 18

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday, January 1

Give thanks to Jehovah, for he is good.—Ps. 106:1.

Jehovah, the Giver of “every good gift and every perfect present,” is indeed worthy of our thanks. (Jas. 1:17) As our loving Shepherd, he tenderly cares for all our physical and spiritual needs. (Ps. 23:1-3) He has proved to be “our refuge and strength”—especially in times of distress! (Ps. 46:1) Today, many take their blessings for granted. Influenced by the commercial world and its advertising, millions of people strive to obtain more instead of being content with what they have. We too can be affected by this unappreciative spirit. Like the ancient Israelites, we could become ungrateful and lose appreciation for our precious relationship with Jehovah and for the blessings that we have received from him. (Ps. 106:7, 11-13) When faced with difficult trials, we could easily become overwhelmed and lose sight of our blessings.—Ps. 116:3w151/15 1:1-3

Edited by GrumpysWife

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Someone unfriended me on Facebook today because I shared this text on my page (it means a lot in particular to me). :(

I thought that a quote from our articles, such as a daily text is, falls under "fair use"- especially if credit and source is given. Am I mistaken? I know not to post full articles, etc anywhere. But a few lines?

Please advise... :(

I thought this text was so loving--

are u sure this is why you were unfriended? or could it have been for another reason?   im confused.

in any event sometimes the truth hurts.

Visit my website: www.Hcgessentials.com

Growth Demands Change!

Someone unfriended me on Facebook today because I shared this text on my page (it means a lot in particular to me). :(

I thought that a quote from our articles, such as a daily text is, falls under "fair use"- especially if credit and source is given. Am I mistaken? I know not to post full articles, etc anywhere. But a few lines?

It's exactly why. He told me so. He thinks I'm disobeying the Slave's counsel. :(

It's sad.

facebook ...  counsel (FDS already gave)   ...   advise (you asked) ...  sad  ...  really!      ... give me a break!   ...  ???

Edited by timpin

It's posted here on a publicly visible forum and I know the moderators are very careful not to do anything wrong, so based on their example I wouldn't think there was anything wrong with what you did.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

facebook ...  counsel (FDS already gave)   ...   advise (you asked) ...  sad  ...  really!      ... give me a break!   ...  ???

tim I'm confused by your comment, the difference between jwtalk and face book? All social media.....I don't get your point...

Visit my website: www.Hcgessentials.com

Growth Demands Change!

What you have encountered, my dear, is what I have personally dubbed an "Over-Sensitive Net-Witness".

Did you just copy and paste the text? Or, did you use the share function at the bottom of this page? In other words, did your Facebook post link back to JWTalk?

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

No- I actually manually typed it myself, reading from the text in the JW Library. It wasn't a paste at all, from this site or anywhere.

Is that forbidden by the Branch?

No, copy and pasting the contents of the days text is not forbidden by the Branch. We've been doing it here in this forum for years and have never received a request to stop. However, we only allow the most recent 2 weeks to be shown, and the rest get hidden automatically beyond 2 weeks. This way, we are not having an entire copyrighted publication on our network.

If it's not forbidden to share the text every now and then, is there anything to support that?

Probably not. Given the caution about social networks, it's not likely that we will find a statement that says it is okay to post the Daily Text on Facebook. The text is provided for our consumption, not redistribution. However, this does not mean that we cannot discuss it, whether in real life or through electronic means.

"Examining the Scriptures Daily" is a collection of quotes from the Bible accompanied by quotes from previous Watchtower articles. By posting the days text, you are neither sharing the entire book, nor are you sharing an entire article. It's just a snippet, and your intent was probably to discuss it.

While distributing an electronic copy of an entire publication via a website, social network, mass email with multiple recipients, or forum like this one is a copyright infringement, doing so via a one-on-one email message counts as a literature placement.

In short, you've done nothing wrong, and nobody is upset that you were touched by today's daily text and wanted to discuss it..... except for the oversensitive net witnesses who must pharisaically let everyone know that somehow their spirituality is bigger than yours.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

tim I'm confused by your comment, the difference between jwtalk and face book? All social media.....I don't get your point...

this makes it sound like you are saying there is no difference between the two, as if they are equal to each other, on the same level  -  really, oh my!

...   best to get on with the next daily text.

Edited by timpin

Saturday, January 2

The little one will become a thousand.—Isa. 60:22.

In the 20th century, millions of people died as a result of warfare, especially during the two world wars. But as World War II was raging in 1942, Nathan Knorr, who was then taking the lead among Jehovah’s Witnesses, delivered the convention discourse “Peace—Can It Last?” That talk presented evidence from Revelation chapter 17 that the war then raging would lead, not to Armageddon, but to a time of peace. (Rev. 17:3, 11) The conclusion of World War II did not bring total peace. According to one count, there were 331 episodes of armed conflict between 1946 and 2013. Millions died. During those years, however, many countries enjoyed relative peace, and Jehovah’s people took advantage of that situation to proclaim the good news. What has been the result? In 1944, there were fewer than 110,000 Kingdom publishers worldwide. Today, there are some 8,000,000! w15 2/15 4:6, 7

Edited by GrumpysWife

bump   ...  http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/h/r1/lp-e

Sunday, January 3

By faith Moses, when grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter.—Heb. 11:24.

Moses knew what Egypt had to offer. He belonged to the royal household. He “was instructed in all the wisdom of the Egyptians.” (Acts 7:22) Within his grasp were the wealth, power, and privilege that a common Egyptian could only dream of! Yet, when he was 40 years of age, Moses made a decision that must have baffled the royal Egyptian family who had adopted him. He chose, not even the “normal” life of a common Egyptian, but a life among slaves! Why? Moses had faith. (Heb. 11:24-26) By faith, Moses saw far more than the physical world around him. As a spiritual man, Moses had faith in “the One who is invisible,” Jehovah, and in the fulfillment of God’s promises. (Heb. 11:27) We too need to see more than what appears to our physical eyes. We must be “the sort who have faith.”—Heb. 10:38, 39w14 4/15 1:1-3

Edited by timpin

Sunday, January 3

By faith Moses, when grown up, refused to be called

the son of Pharaoh’s daughter.—Heb. 11:24.

Moses knew what Egypt had to offer. He belonged to the royal household. He “was instructed in all the wisdom of the Egyptians.” (Acts 7:22) Within his grasp were the wealth, power, and privilege that a common Egyptian could only dream of! Yet, when he was 40 years of age, Moses made a decision that must have baffled the royal Egyptian family who had adopted him. He chose, not even the “normal” life of a common Egyptian, but a life among slaves! Why? Moses had faith. (Heb. 11:24-26) By faith, Moses saw far more than the physical world around him. As a spiritual man, Moses had faith in “the One who is invisible,” Jehovah, and in the fulfillment of God’s promises. (Heb. 11:27) We too need to see more than what appears to our physical eyes. We must be “the sort who have faith.”—Heb. 10:38, 39w14 4/15 1:1-3

Edited by GrumpysWife

Monday, January 4

He became overjoyed in the holy spirit and said: “I publicly praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have carefully hidden these things from wise and intellectual ones.”—Luke 10:21.

Can you imagine what it was like to see Jesus Christ become “overjoyed in the holy spirit”? Perhaps you picture his features lit up by a broad smile, his eyes twinkling with pleasure. What was it that moved him so? He had recently sent out 70 of his disciples to preach the good news of God’s Kingdom. He was keenly interested in how they would handle their assignment. There were many powerful enemies of the good news, such as the clever and highly educated scribes and Pharisees. They influenced many to look down on Jesus as a mere carpenter and on his disciples as “uneducated and ordinary men.” (Acts 4:13; Mark 6:3) Nonetheless, the disciples returned from their mission aglow with excitement. They had preached despite opposition, even from demons! w15 3/15 1:1

Edited by GrumpysWife

Tuesday, January 5

Let your words always be gracious, . . . so that you will know how you should answer each person.—Col. 4:6.

A number of years ago, a Christian sister was discussing the Bible with her unbelieving husband. During their discussion, her husband said that he believed in the Trinity. Discerning that he might not have realized what the Trinity teaching is all about, she tactfully asked, “Do you believe that God is God, that Jesus is God, and that the holy spirit is God; yet, there are not three Gods but one God?” Surprised, the husband said, “No, I don’t believe that!” A lively conversation about the true nature of God then ensued. That experience illustrates the value of asking tactful, well-chosen questions. Also, we do not need to feel intimidated by challenging topics, such as the Trinity, hellfire, or the existence of a Creator. If we rely on Jehovah and on the training he provides, we can often give a persuasive answer, one that may reach the heart of our listeners. w14 5/15 1:1, 2

Edited by GrumpysWife

Wednesday, January 6

You must love Jehovah your God.—Matt. 22:37.

Jehovah’s Son, Jesus Christ, declared: “I love the Father.” (John 14:31) Jesus also said: “The Father has affection for the Son.” (John 5:20) That should not surprise us. After all, for ages during Jesus’ prehuman existence, he was God’s “master worker.” (Prov. 8:30) As Jehovah and Jesus worked together, the Son learned much about his Father’s qualities and had innumerable reasons to love him. Love involves a feeling of deep affection for someone. The psalmist David sang: “I have affection for you, O Jehovah, my strength.” (Ps. 18:1) That is how we should feel about God. But can we really love God, since we cannot see him? (John 4:24) Yes, love for Jehovah is possible, and we are commanded in the Scriptures to express that love. For example, Moses told the Israelites: “You must love Jehovah your God with all your heart and all your soul and all your strength.”—Deut. 6:5w14 6/15 1:1-3

Edited by GrumpysWife

The fact that you have love for someone means that they are a separate being.

Yes, you can love your self, but that becomes narcissistic, and that isn't God like.

To love someone means that you treasure  them, their characteristics and achievements.

I think this shows that Jehovah and Jesus are separate beings.

Thursday, January 7

Present yourself with all your supporters before Jehovah tomorrow,

you and they and Aaron.—Num. 16:16.

At first glance, all the men standing before High Priest Aaron seemed to be loyal worshippers of Jehovah. Unlike Aaron, however, the others were arrogant renegades attempting to usurp the priesthood. (Num. 16:1-11) They had deluded themselves into thinking that God would accept their worship. But such an expectation was insulting to Jehovah, who can read hearts and could see their hypocrisy. (Jer. 17:10) Appropriately, the day before, Moses had predicted: “In the morning Jehovah will make known who belongs to him.” (Num. 16:5) Sure enough, Jehovah differentiated between genuine worshippers and counterfeit ones when “a fire came out from Jehovah and consumed [Korah and] the 250 men offering the incense.” (Num. 16:35;26:10) At the same time, Jehovah spared the life of Aaron, signaling approval of the real priest and genuine worshipper of God.—1 Cor. 8:3w14 7/15 1:1, 2

Edited by GrumpysWife

Friday, January 8

It is not good for the man to continue to be alone. I am going to make a helper for him, as a complement of him.—Gen. 2:18.

God’s gift of a woman was unique in that she was to be the man’s perfect helper. She would also have the special privilege of bearing children. In fact, “Adam named his wife Eve, because she was to become the mother of everyone living.” (Gen. 3:20; ftn.) What an amazing gift God gave that first human couple! They had the ability to produce other perfect humans. By this means, the earth would eventually become a paradise populated by perfect people who would have other living things in subjection. (Gen. 1:27, 28) To receive the blessings set before them, Adam and Eve would have to obey Jehovah and acknowledge his rulership. (Gen. 2:15-17) Only under those circumstances could they fulfill God’s purpose for them. Sadly, though, they were influenced by “the original serpent,” Satan, and sinned against God.—Rev. 12:9; Gen. 3:1-6w14 8/15 1:1-3

Edited by GrumpysWife