JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2016

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monday, December 19

Man must live . . . on every word that comes from Jehovah’s mouth.—Matt. 4:4.

How can those who love God’s righteousness avoid being swept along by today’s flood of satanic propaganda? How can they separate the good from the bad? “By keeping on guard according to [God’s] word”! (Ps. 119:9) God’s written Word contains essential guidance that enables us to distinguish truthful information from deceptive propaganda. (Prov. 23:23) We need to learn how to apply Bible principles in our life. For example, long before Moses recorded Jehovah’s law against adultery, the young man Joseph understood that such conduct was a sin against God. He never even considered disobeying Jehovah when Potiphar’s wife tried to entice him to do what was wrong. (Gen. 39:7-9) Joseph did not allow her voice to deafen him to the voice of God. Essential to distinguishing right from wrong is listening to Jehovah’s voice and shutting out the incessant din of satanic propaganda. w14 8/15 4:5

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Tuesday, December 20

Do not be exasperating your children, so that they do not become downhearted.—Col. 3:21.

If your children are to open up to you, they need to view you as available and approachable. When parents always appear to be too busy to talk, youths in the family are likely to keep their problems to themselves. And what about being approachable? More is involved than simply saying the words, “You can come to me anytime.” Your teens need to sense that you will neither discount their problems nor overreact to them. Instead, aim for a balanced approach. A young sister named Emily observes: “When my parents talk to me about dating, they don’t make the subject seem negative. They emphasize the joy of getting to know someone and finding a marriage mate. This has helped me to feel comfortable talking to them about it. In fact, I want to involve them in any relationship I have rather than hide it from them.” You too can show that you are approachable by patiently listening to your children.—Jas. 1:19. w14 9/15 3:6-8

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

13 minutes ago, GrumpysWife said:

When my parents talk to me about dating, they don’t make the subject seem negative. They emphasize the joy of getting to know someone and finding a marriage mate.

Good advice!  Teenage daughters are hard work, and this is a positive way to keep the lines of communication open.

Wednesday, December 21

I was beside him as a master worker.—Prov. 8:30.

Following his Father’s example, Jesus also assigned important work to his disciples. Arousing in them eager expectation for what they could accomplish, he said: “Most truly I say to you, whoever exercises faith in me will also do the works that I do; and he will do works greater than these, because I am going my way to the Father.” (John 14:12) To stress the urgency of such works, Jesus explained: “We must do the works of the One who sent me while it is day; the night is coming when no man can work.” (John 9:4) Even prior to Jesus’ day, humans were given fulfilling work to do. Although Adam and Eve failed to perform the assignment they were given, others did as God directed. (Gen. 1:28) Noah was given specific instructions on how to build an ark to preserve life through the great Deluge. Thanks to his conscientiousness in doing so, we are here today!—Gen. 6:14-16, 22; 2 Pet. 2:5. w14 10/15 3:1, 3, 4

Thursday, December 22

Happy is the people whose God is Jehovah!—Ps. 144:15.

As early as the 20th century B.C.E., Jehovah had a distinct people on earth. Abraham, called “the father of all those having faith,” was the head of a household numbering into the hundreds. (Rom. 4:11; Gen. 14:14) Rulers in Canaan considered him to be “a great chieftain” and treated him with respect. (Gen. 21:22; 23:6, ftn.) Jehovah made a covenant with Abraham and his descendants. (Gen. 17:1, 2, 19) God told Abraham: “This is my covenant between me and you, that you and your offspring after you will keep: Every male among you must get circumcised. . . . And it will serve as a sign of the covenant between me and you.” (Gen. 17:10, 11) Accordingly, Abraham and all the male members of his household were circumcised. (Gen. 17:24-27) Circumcision was a physical sign that distinguished Abraham’s descendants as the only people who were in a covenant relationship with Jehovah. w14 11/15 4:2