JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Lets Talk About Rice

Rice is a daily meal for us. 

Especially white rice. It's also very common rice (yellow) mixed with anything: chicken, corn, vegetables, fish, pork. But the favorite recipe is rice and black beans cooked together (cooked separately is very usual too). We call it "Congrí". 

Rice pudding is a popular dessert. Cooked with milk and cinnamon.

Just bought 30lbs of rice for my pantry.  I'm not a rice expert so not really sure what parboiled means, but that's what I bought.  I've been trying to stock my pantry a little.  My wife (not a jw) says I'm an 'idiot' and why am I wasting money on this junk and she's not eating it!  She said I should be buying 'normal' food (she doesn't really cook and prefers everything the easy way--instant rice, microwave veggies in a steamer bag, pre-diced onions, etc) I've been trying to buy shelf stable food mostly.  Like rice, pasta, dried beans, powdered milk, flour, canned goods, etc.  I have found that besides lasting longer it is also more affordable and larger volume.  Yes, it may take longer to prepare but so what does that matter if we are stuck in the house for a month on lockdown.  

I figure I can make lots of good dishes w the rice.  I did buy a bunch of cartons of broth to cook it in, and bouillon when broth runs out.  Rice and beans! 

Edited by rolypoly

On 3/10/2020 at 2:18 AM, rolypoly said:

Just bought 30lbs of rice for my pantry.  I'm not a rice expert so not really sure what parboiled means, but that's what I bought.   

Google tells me that they partially boil it in the husk to give it nutrients, then they process it. 

I find a good rule of thumb is 1 cup water to 1 cup rice. If too dry add more water and less if to mushy.

Put rice in pan, add water.

Bring to a boil, when little bubbles start being consistent turn to low and cover.

Simmer for 12 minutes. When done, fluff the rice with a fork and leave covered for 10 mins ( you can skip this if you want.

I find this makes good jasmine imo. You can make a fantastic fried rice doing this. What rice foods you like? 😊 

Thanks Sister Cheryl for starting this lovely topic that is close to my heart.

We call it "Congrí"

Chinese people also like to eat rice. If possible everyday. It is very filling if eaten with dishes. Because rice is so bland it goes so well with anything. 

In this country, it is spelt 'congee'

What do you eat when you have your teeth pulled out? A bowl of chew-friendly Chinese porridge/congee. | rasamalaysia.com

For ingredients, Rasa Malaysia recommends dried oyster and chicken breast fillet. Top the porridge with fresh shredded ginger, chopped scallions, a few drops of sesame oil and a dash of white pepper powder.

A while back my husband went on a keto diet and so I started looking at low carb foods and discovered riced cauliflower. You can use it the same way as regular rice, and there's a riced broccoli-cauliflower that I like even better. You can get it in all the supermarkets, and here's what you can do with it:

Healthy-Cauliflower-Rice-1.jpg.f85f2c49dfb638fe43d21ddaf19ee820.jpg

I also have gluten intolerance, but am also keto. So I eat mostly keto rice, whenever rice is on the menu here in our home. So the family gets normal rice, and I usually take out a bag of frozen chopped cauliflower, and use that in place for my plate. I shredded a bunch of cauliflower and put them in small freezer bags in the freezer to take out whenever I need it. Simple and fast to prepare.

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

On 3/19/2020 at 8:15 AM, Motherhen said:

A while back my husband went on a keto diet and so I started looking at low carb foods and discovered riced cauliflower. You can use it the same way as regular rice, and there's a riced broccoli-cauliflower that I like even better. You can get it in all the supermarkets, and here's what you can do with it:

Healthy-Cauliflower-Rice-1.jpg.f85f2c49dfb638fe43d21ddaf19ee820.jpg

I like colorful food

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I made shrimp-fried rice prior to my meeting but didn't have time to eat it then.  The rice went zzzooom soon afterwards! :)

Shrimp marinaded for 45 minutes in the fridge with: fresh ginger, 3 large cloves of garlic, chopped green onions, salt, pepper.

Stir fried with bean sprouts, add'l spring onions, dark soy sauce, sesame oil and 2 scrambled eggs.

20200617_191123.jpg

20200617_173713.jpg

20200617_172423.jpg

Edited by Omoyeme

On 3/9/2020 at 1:06 PM, Donna said:

Rice is a daily meal for us. 

Especially white rice. It's also very common rice (yellow) mixed with anything: chicken, corn, vegetables, fish, pork. But the favorite recipe is rice and black beans cooked together (cooked separately is very usual too). We call it "Congrí". 

Rice pudding is a popular dessert. Cooked with milk and cinnamon.

My husband is always making gallopinto from the rice and bean leftovers.  It’s sooooo good!

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

Gallopinto (Nicaraguan Rice and Beans) Recipe

Gallopinto (Nicaraguan Rice and Beans) Recipe

Ingredients

• For the beans
  • 1 (16-ounce) bag dried small red or black beans
  • Salt
  • 7 garlic cloves, peeled
  •  
  • For the rice
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
  • 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup), divided
  • 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
  • 3 cups water or low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, cored and seeded
  •  

On 6/26/2020 at 11:19 AM, BLEmom said:

My husband is always making gallopinto from the rice and bean leftovers.  It’s sooooo good!

Some people here make it like that, with leftovers, but the common way is cooking first the beans and later add the raw rice. So they are cooked together

• 2 months later...