JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

iOS 8 support for JWL being dropped soon

The next version of JW Library for iPad/iPhone will require iOS 9, according to the release notes for version 9.1 of JW Library for iOS.

Version history:

Sep 2015:  dropped support for iOS 6

May 2017:  dropped support for iOS 7

later in 2017(?): dropping support for iOS 8

I think it's safe to say that one day an update will come that will drop support for iOS 9, meaning, those who have invested in their first iPad in order to use the latest 'digital' spiritual provisions will have to either:

1. pay money to buy new hardware (either a newer iPad, or, switching to Android by saving your notes backup file to google drive and manually restoring it to the android device)

2. continue to use the older version of JW Library, which may be able to receive new publications for a certain amount of time, but may eventually stop being able to update publications or download new ones

3. switch to ePub files / iBooks app, which supports basically all the reading functionalities of JW Library, but for audio and video, you could use a second app such as Documents by Readdle

If you want to go with option 3, it's probably not wise to rely on using JWL for permanent highlights or notes as there is currently no way to transfer these to iBooks. You may wish to use JWL for 'temporary' notes, such as those for an upcoming meeting, while keeping 'permanent' gems that you want to always have long term in multiple places; perhaps copying those out into rich text file that should be backwards compatible with nearly everything, probably as long as this system goes on for (and who knows, maybe after that also).

The next version of JW Library for iPad/iPhone will require iOS 9, according to the release notes for version 9.1 of JW Library for iOS.

Version history:

I think it's safe to say that one day an update will come that will drop support for iOS 9, meaning, those who have invested in their first iPad in order to use the latest 'digital' spiritual provisions will have to either:

1. pay money to buy new hardware (either a newer iPad, or, switching to Android by saving your notes backup file to google drive and manually restoring it to the android device)

2. continue to use the older version of JW Library, which may be able to receive new publications for a certain amount of time, but may eventually stop being able to update publications or download new ones

3. switch to ePub files / iBooks app, which supports basically all the reading functionalities of JW Library, but for audio and video, you could use a second app such as Documents by Readdle

If you want to go with option 3, it's probably not wise to rely on using JWL for permanent highlights or notes as there is currently no way to transfer these to iBooks. You may wish to use JWL for 'temporary' notes, such as those for an upcoming meeting, while keeping 'permanent' gems that you want to always have long term in multiple places; perhaps copying those out into rich text file that should be backwards compatible with nearly everything, probably as long as this system goes on for (and who knows, maybe after that also).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Version history:

Or simply update, which you really ought to do for security reasons, anyway.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

36 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Or simply update…
Johan

You do realize some of our brothers and sisters are using 1st gen iPad minis, don't you?

If (read: when) iOS 9 support is dropped, they'll be left with having to spend money which they may not have, or losing ability to keep their JW Library app up to date.

You do realize some of our brothers and sisters are using 1st gen iPad minis, don't you?

If (read: when) iOS 9 support is dropped, they'll be left with having to spend money which they may not have, or losing ability to keep their JW Library app up to date.

I do. It's the nature of any digital devices you get that sooner or later their capacity will not be enough, be they android or iOS or whatever.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Whatever happens I hope iOS 8 uses get the Study Bible upgrade before their OS is dropped.

Edited by ChrisTheConfused

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

The iPad Mini was made in 2012, making it 5 years old.  By the time JW Library stops supporting iOS 9, the iPad mini will probably be a 10 year old device. 

It looks like the iOS 9 will be needed for the Study Bible.  iOS 9 was released in 2015 for the iPad Mini, 2 years ago.

They are only now dropping support for iOS 8.  Why assume that dropping support for iOS 9 is going to be soon?  Never be anxious for the next day etc ...

In any case, the current JW Library will still work and download publications and videos.   Study notes and the new study bible will still work etc.

As for spending money on new devices.  iPads are one of the most expensive tablets to buy, as are Microsoft Surface devices.  If money was a problem, you probably would not have chosen to buy an iPad and gone for a cheaper Android or Windows device instead - Buy within your means is the scriptural advice we should all follow, even if it is for theocratic purposes.

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

I think it's safe to say that one day an update will come that will drop support for iOS 9

Unless the new world comes before that happens. Problem solved. >:D<

But really, you may be counting your chickens before they hatch. According to Wikipedia, there is no device out there that runs iOS 8 that can't run iOS 9. Not supporting that operating system means less work for our developers and testers. Our brothers also have access to analytics like which devices are using JW Library and what iOS version they are on. According to the May broadcast...

Spoiler

changes are made to our mobile apps when they address a real need and if the Governing Body approves of the change.

So yes, it's a real possibility but any changes that are made are doing so for the benefit of the whole brotherhood. Perhaps by the time such a change is made, the cost of a apple device (new or used) that runs a supported version of JW Library will be very accessible. We'll have to wait and see.

5 hours ago, Trey said:

Unless the new world comes before that happens. Problem solved. >:D<

But really, you may be counting your chickens before they hatch. According to Wikipedia, there is no device out there that runs iOS 8 that can't run iOS 9. Not supporting that operating system means less work for our developers and testers. Our brothers also have access to analytics like which devices are using JW Library and what iOS version they are on. According to the May broadcast...

Hide contents

changes are made to our mobile apps when they address a real need and if the Governing Body approves of the change.

So yes, it's a real possibility but any changes that are made are doing so for the benefit of the whole brotherhood. Perhaps by the time such a change is made, the cost of a apple device (new or used) that runs a supported version of JW Library will be very accessible. We'll have to wait and see.

I hear the price of the iPad New Generation (i.e. iPad 5) has gone down to $329. I have an iPad 3, which I really like, but if the time comes where I need to get a iPad 5, I'll gladly do it to continue using JW Library, even if it requires a 6-month payment plan. But this is coming from a millennial.  :whistling:

I use an iPad 3. 

I had a bad experience in past wiht my iPod 3rd Generation while I was trying to upgrade the iOS. So I had been very reluctant to upgrade my iPad from iOS8 to 9, but I had to because of the JW Library update.

As it seems that iOS 10 is not avaliable for Ipad 3, I really hope the next updates of JW Library ( for more 5years, at least, ) dont require the iOS 10.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-06-01 at 4:28 AM, JJMS said:

I really hope the next updates of JW Library ( for more 5years, at least, ) dont require the iOS 10.

There will come a time when the latest version of JW Library will require iOS 10 or later, but even when that happens, it doesn't mean your version of JW Library will stop working completely.

On 2017-6-17 at 6:24 PM, Brandon said:

There will come a time when the latest version of JW Library will require iOS 10 or later, but even when that happens, it doesn't mean your version of JW Library will stop working completely.

But surely it won't get all the updated videos and publications. 

13 hours ago, leoperales said:

But surely it won't get all the updated videos and publications. 

Truthfully, we don't know. That would seem likely, but it's certainly possible currently for an older version of JW Library to download new publications.

The things you definitely won't receive are new features, as those are released via new app binaries (the software application bundle). Example would be the notes feature, and the Study edition (yet to come).