JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Fatal stabbing at a KH in the UK

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2252 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

8 minutes ago, Omo_Yeme said:

alleged"?! I find this terminology ludicrous.

It's purely to avoid being sued (lawsuits). The UK is becoming more like the USA in that regard so until something has been proved in court (even like in this case where there is no doubt), the media have to use the term "alleged" so they don't open themselves up for charges from opportunists looking to make some money or derail the case.

It's bigger on the inside!

On 6/10/2017 at 1:55 PM, M&M said:

Yup, pretty much par for the course everywhere these days. 7 shot last night in Fort Worth. Unfortunately, it's seems to happen so much these days that I don't think it really phases people like it used to.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/7-injured-2-killed-in-fort-worth-shooting/447603112

Not sure if I am supposed to quote myself but was just watching the new video and thought of this thread. He mentioned gradualism as a reason why people accept some abnormal things as normal.

https://tv.jw.org/#en/mediaitems/LatestVideos/pub-jwb_201706_9_VIDEO

William Malenfant: Morality in the Last Days (2 Tim. 3:13)

9 hours ago, Omo_Yeme said:

"alleged"?! I find this terminology ludicrous.  It is an undeniable fact that he was murdered!!  (Not suicide nor MIA but his life was deliberately taken away.)

(But I digress...my apologies.)

In legal terms it's not a fact hence the qualifying use of the term "alleged".  It might sound pedantic but the whole point of the court is so that the case for both prosecution and defence is presented.   The judge and jury then determine guilt.   In terrible situations like this it may seem open and shut but in principle there may be facts and circumstances that only become apparent during the police investigation.  I don't think that will prove to be the case here but I hope the general point is clear.

37 minutes ago, seagull said:

In legal terms it's not a fact hence the qualifying use of the term "alleged".  It might sound pedantic but the whole point of the court is so that the case for both prosecution and defence is presented.   The judge and jury then determine guilt.   In terrible situations like this it may seem open and shut but in principle there may be facts and circumstances that only become apparent during the police investigation.  I don't think that will prove to be the case here but I hope the general point is clear.

37 minutes ago, seagull said:

The news artical was referring to the crime, not the alleged perpetrator. The 'alleged murder'. Not the alleged murderer.

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

On 6/12/2017 at 11:56 PM, Old said:

The news artical was referring to the crime, not the alleged perpetrator. The 'alleged murder'. Not the alleged murderer.

Murder is also a legal technicality. Until the coroner releases cause of death, it legally is not murder.  Even then it might not be ruled a murder until the criminal trial. 

2 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Murder is also a legal technicality. Until the coroner releases cause of death, it legally is not murder.  Even then it might not be ruled a murder until the criminal trial. 

The "legal" terminology of this wicked system :devil2: never ceases to amaze me.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

6 hours ago, Shawnster said:

This information is from the family of Philip:

In this particular case, they're waiting for the autopsy.  Only then can the authorities determine the actual cause of death.  That is also why the court date isn't until July 6th.  

It may seem unfair, but they need to know if the stabbing was the cause of death, or maybe, for instance, the stabbing caused a heart attack which killed our Brother.  That changes the sentencing  guidelines in English courts.  There is no question he did it - the police picked him up minutes after the incident, covered in blood and carrying the knife.

Hence, as Shawnster says,  the description "alleged murder".

My heart has been so heavy with sadness this past week since we found out. Literally spent the week struggling to do anything because of the shock. My husband (also an electrician) had known Philip for a number of years, they shared common customers as well as working on quick builds etc before my children were born. My husband is still in shock I think. I'm waiting for it to actually hit him. Its something you just never expect to happen to someone you know.  My heart aches for his poor wife. 

Though shocking, it is reassuring to some of the comments appeal to patience until the facts are known.

In a talk at our KH a couple of weeks ago, the speaker asked, "if Jehovah has been willing to give Satan 6000yrs...."  Whats a couple of weeks or months to prove without the circumstances of this brothers death, we're not a baying mob!

"The fruitage of the spirit is....patience.  Against such things there is no law."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...