JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Pope Francis approves of falling asleep during prayer

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2364 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41829338?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Pope Francis has admitted that he sometimes nods off while praying. 

But he said that falling asleep during prayer actually pleased God and that Christians were called to "feel like children lying in their fathers' arms".

@Dages I like the example too!  i take care of the important things or what ways heavily on my mind first, then talk as with my most trusted friend till I fall asleep.  I have wondered before if Jehovah has ever thought 'Alright! Enough already! Go to sleep.' 

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

6 hours ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

I suppose ‘saying the same things over and over again’ is a bit like counting sheep.

I wonder how the Popes personal prayers go.  If they are really repetitive, or if he even prays regularly.  

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

10 hours ago, Dages said:

It happens to me quite often. I usually do a normal prayer, then after the Amen, I feel the need to continue speaking to Jehovah and I fall asleep. I have to say I like the example the pope gave on this one.

I like the example too!  i take care of the important things or what ways heavily on my mind first, then talk as with my most trusted friend till I fall asleep.  

Interesting. I used to think like this as a child. But when I was having my Bible studies with a brother, he told me off for it and said Jehovah was angry with me when I did that, as it was rude and that I should never pray in bed to avoid it. 

All these years and I have still had that idea ingrained into my head. That I had to ask Jehovah for forgiveness if I ever feel asleep praying at night in bed. 

Edited by EccentricM

1 hour ago, EccentricM said:

All these years and I have still had that idea ingrained into my head. That I had to ask Jehovah for forgiveness if I ever feel asleep praying at night in bed. 

Nothing wrong with apologizing for it.  Suppose you were on the phone with someone or you were sitting together and you nodded off?  You'd come to and apologize.  Of course, your friend would be understanding about it.

I can also see the falling asleep in your father's arm aspect.  You don't apologize for that.  You were being rocked to sleep, after all.

That's why I'd rather sit to pray, finish my prayer then get in bed and continue to express some feelings to God.

To continue the example of the kid/father, it's like the kid have an important conversation with his father, then get in bed and continue a little bit... and... fall... asleep... :snoring:

As a father I like that very much with my daughters... the slow "falling asleep with a smile" moment is very cute.