JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

First Amendment Audits

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2316 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

In the United States the First Amendment protects many rights. "The First Amendment to the United States Constitution prevents Congress from making any law respecting an establishment of religion, prohibiting the free exercise of religion, or abridging the freedom of speech, the freedom of the press, the right to peaceably assemble, or to petition for a governmental redress of grievances. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, as one of the ten amendments that constitute the Bill of Rights." As a form of expression, photography is protected in the U.S. by the First Amendment to the Constitution. But photographers are often forced to defend their right to take pictures (and record video) in public places. That has been especially true since the 9/11 terrorist attacks and the passage of the Patriot Act

Basically what these auditors do is with digital cameras that either take photos or video they go to government facilities, i.e. Post Office, Police Departments and use their photo equipment to record officials or buildings. Sometimes this has led to intense interactions with such official's often calling the police. They are exercising their right to photograph in public, which the government has deemed there is no expectation of privacy in public places. They often stand on public sidewalks or easements to make sure they are legally what they are doing.

Many are members of a group called Photography is not a Crime. They have encountered people who make up the law, lie about the legality of what they are doing. They are well prepared in what they do. I could see those who oppose us doing the same thing. Videoing or taking photos from the sidewalk or street of us entering a Kingdom Hall or out in the Ministry.  We could be simply just standing doing Cart Witnessing too. My point is this, we have to be aware that people may try to antagonize us into a fight or look bad. I just watched one of these online and in fact,  one of these First Amendment Auditors was being interviewed in Texas, when the news Videographer noticed Jehovah's Witnesses setting up a cart , for public witnessing. The television photographer asked is that Jehovah's Witnesses and read off the title on placard that goes with the cart. 

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

Is there a link to a news source thus is from?  Of not, I'll move it to the more appropriate forum 

Shawn, I chose not to include a link because there were lots of colorful metaphors (swearing) in the news story that were bleeped out, but still might offend. If you feel it should be moved go ahead and move. 

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”