JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hospital Donations

Only incidental donations if the opportunity arises and I have spare cash. The hospital system in NZ is a bit different to the US ... ie: if we are NZ citizens we don't have to pay for tests, exams or  hospital visits unless we choose to go private.  It's difficult to prioritise who gets our donations there are so many worthy causes aren't there? 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

It’s hard to stop and think about the need. Children’s hospitals, SPCA stuff to tug at your heart. (Pets, animals)  The list goes on and on. Sometimes, the majority of the money goes to, “administration”. 

Hard cash. I’m pretty particular. In reality I think if a person was a multimillionaire, he could give it all away, and, still lack really helping. God’s Kingdom will be our only hope. 

I don’t have a lot of money, but I make sure that what I give is directly helpful to Jehovah and his organization. His people. 

However...I am married to a person not yet in the truth. I do have freedom to donate how much, and to whom, by him. (We have separate money, savings, and checking, with joint money, to pay household bills. He has his money, too.) My point is, he feels it is up to us to help the local homeless when it takes his fancy. Up to us to share. And, sometimes, I am the one opening the window, and opening my little stash of cash. There is not much money  involved. So, my money goes to two sources. Jehovah and his people, and a few dollars to homeless. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

There is nothing wrong with giving to a charity, provided you've made sure the charity is legit and the funds get used as expected ;-)

I moved this topic from Comfort, Consolation, & Support to General Discussion since it is not a personal issue.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

28 minutes ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

funds get used as expected

That is the problem with many charities. Money goes to administration and only pennies go to where it was donated for.

We have United Way always pushing for donations for a host of charities they support.

United Way is not a charity per sey. It is a Professional money gathering organization that divvies out money to various charities - minus their cut.

I do not donate to United Way.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Here in the United States there is the McDonald House.

Yes, it is run by  that McDonald,  the hamburger place. 

When my youngest child, a baby boy of less than 3 yrs of age, got diagnosed with brain cancer,  we didn't have a whole lot of money and were pretty distraught, worrying about his health and how we were going to manage. 

When Stephen had to have brain surgery to remove the tumor in his head it was at a hospital that was some distance from our house,  just on the edge of a comfortable drive,  about an hour each way.  I would make that drive almost every day,  and continue getting back to my job for 8 or 10 hours a day.

The hospital arranged for us to have a room at the McDonald house,  free of charge.  There were basic foodstuffs and amenities there, it was a huge help for us. My wife stayed in the McDonald house for a couple of weeks,  maybe a bit longer,  I don't recall exactly.

After Stephens 5th surgery,  and the cancer had spread to his spine, we no longer needed the room, as there was nothing more that Drs could do for him. It took him an additional 5 months to die, but he did it at home.

I  will always appreciate that provision that was offered us, to stay at a room close to the hospital,  rent free.  It was an immense help.

Anytime I go to McDonald's for a fast meal, I always put my change in the box to support the House.  It's not much,  and it will never be paid off or evened up, I  still feel compelled to contribute so some other family that is in the same situation as we were in can be offered the same helping hand.

Besides the donation boxes at the Kingdom Hall that is the only other donation that I make...

36 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

Anytime I go to McDonald's for a fast meal, I always put my change in the box to support the House.  It's not much,  and it will never be paid off or evened up, I  still feel compelled to contribute so some other family that is in the same situation as we were in can be offered the same helping hand.

Besides the donation boxes at the Kingdom Hall that is the only other donation that I make...

I cannot even imagine the pain of losing a child, so please note my "like" on your post was for this portion.

I follow the FB page of a sister in Atlanta whose son was seriously injured when a gust of wind caused a tree to fall on his head. She continually expresses her appreciation for the Ronald McDonald House, and assists in fund raising for it. As her boy continues to be medically fragile, she continues to make use of it when necessary. 

5 hours ago, pnutts said:

I do not donate to United Way.

I have. Many years ago my employer strongly supported United Way and strongly encouraged all employees to participate. The employer would even match the employee contribution.

I started contributing when i found out that i could direct my contributions to the WTB&TS. The employer match exceeded the UW overhead costs so the WTB&TS received all of my contribution and some from my employer.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I have occasionally contributed to St. Jude. The strange thing is it is not a Catholic Hospital despite the name. Founded by Danny Thomas, it is dedicated to helping children with cancer. Read about St. Jude here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Jude_Children's_Research_Hospital

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

My brother and i spent a lot of time growing up with a brother in our congregation that had muscular dystrophy, I don't contribute tó the muscular dystrophy foundation but it touches my heart any time i see a muscular dystrophy drive..

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Sylv said:

I cannot even imagine the pain of losing a child, so please note my "like" on your post was for this portion. 

Thank you.  It was quite a few years ago and time eases pain, and we have Gods promises to bolster our faith...

I look forward to seeing him again,  and also evening the score; I am a little jealous,  the little snot got two helicopter rides! He owes me!....