JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Going to Venice and Rome

I'm gonna visit Rome in March. Thank you, Greg, for opening this topic. :)

I'm wondering if I should buy skip the line tickets for the main attractions. Will there be agglomeration in March?

11 hours ago, carlos said:

Our guide was an archaeologist who had been researching those same facilities, so she knew all kinds of interesting details. You can make your reservation in the Colosseum website (I don't think you can buy that visit at the entrance, just online).

Which is the website you are talking about?

" Indeed, what do you have that you did not receive ? "

5 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Please include photos from your Roman Holiday.... I would like to see it 

roman-holiday-original.thumb.jpg.ef4444325cfb2a9fc2b8d1ee07a4f022.jpg

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I'll PM you.  I stayed 4 days in Rome after a Mediterranean cruise back in July 2013.  I did a day trip to Pompeii too.  Carlos mentioned Ostia Antica, which is perfect alternative.
I confirm what hatcheckgirl said. Ostia antica is one of my favourite places.
I went there just 4 months ago.

Inviato dal mio SM-A300FU utilizzando Tapatalk

Can't wait for pm.... thanks :ecstatic:
Greg, The colosseum is often open also in late evening and early nighttime hours. Consider that option too. Less crowded, less hot, more fascinating.
I had my night visit last year, fantastic.
In summer time you will find also other late opening. I'll check for you as soon as the schedule will be available.

I'm gonna visit Rome in March. Thank you, Greg, for opening this topic. 
I'm wondering if I should buy skip the line tickets for the main attractions. Will there be agglomeration in March?
March is a mid-high for tourist presente here. The secret is simple... for main attractions get up Early and arrive before opening time :)

12 hours ago, Adelin said:

There is a tourist card named Roma Pass that allows you to jump the queues in all the attractions. You can save some money with it if you visit several of the included places.

The website to book the underground and third ring tour in the Colosseum is:

https://www.coopculture.it/en/events.cfm?id=6

Keep in mind that you need to buy the ticket to enter the Colosseum APART from the price of the tour. The Roma Pass I mentioned above includes that ticket and it's great to jump the queue.

Edited by carlos

16 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Is Rome a "walking city" or do I need a lot of transport to get from point to point?

What attractions are close by to walk around? (clustered together?)

Well, every neighborhood in Rome is packed with interesting places, but the must-sees are quite close to one another and you can cover them walking. The Colosseum is just across from Titus' arch and the Forums. The Pantheon, the Trevi fountain, Campo dei Fiori,  Piazza Navona, Piazza de Spagna, Vila Borghese, it's all within walking distance (but be prepared to walk for hours and enjoy every minute of it). Michelangelo's horned Moses at San Pietro in Vincoli church is not a long walk from the Colosseum either. You will meet Vittorio Emmanuele's mausoleum on your way to the Trastevere and the Vatican, on the other side of the river. The most popular bridge to cross the Tiber is in front of the Sant' Angelo castle. The catacombs are outside of the city and you will need to take a bus to get there.

A lot of tourists spend a lot of time to visit la Bocca de la Verità. IMO, it's not worth it at all. It's quite far and it doesn't have anything special.

Apart from the regular bus or subway ticket, there are 24, 48 or 72 hour passes that allow you to take any subway or bus as many times as you wish. We bought those but didn't use them that much, except to and from our hotel to the center. To be honest, nobody pays the bus in Rome except tourists. :lol:

Finding an open pharmacy during weekends can be a bit tricky, though. They have some kind of schedule where they take turns to be open on such days. Googling can guide you in the right direction, though.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2018 at 1:49 AM, carlos said:

There is a tourist card named Roma Pass that allows you to jump the queues in all the attractions. You can save some money with it if you visit several of the included places.

Did you use the Roma Pass for Vatican Museums? I didn't find any option to combine a Vatican guided tour (by a person) with the Roma pass. 

On 7/2/2018 at 12:46 PM, Adelin said:

Did you use the Roma Pass for Vatican Museums? I didn't find any option to combine a Vatican guided tour (by a person) with the Roma pass. 

Vatican Museums are not included in Roma Pass. If you are looking for a guided tour you should book that specific visit elsewhere.

On 2/7/2018 at 12:46 PM, Adelin said:

Sorry, Adelin, somehow this post of yours fell through the cracks. :innocent:

As Massimo said, the Vatican Museums are not included in the Roma pass. The Vatican is not Rome, it's a different city and country!

To visit the Vatican we did this tour and it was really worth it:

https://www.getyourguide.com/rome-l33/skip-the-line-vatican-museums-sistine-chapel-st-peter-s-t1103/

You save hours of queues since you access directly with your guide. Our tour was in Spanish and the guide was a very good professional who explained lots of interesting details.

Adelin, the queue to get in is only the first problem. Vatican Museums are always crowded, expecially in the week-end. If you want to make your visit more enjoyable i suggest you to book your tour in the middle of the week. 

On what day are you planning to came here in Rome?

The first time we visited Rome we stayed very close to the Vatican. Every day when left int he morning we saw the huge queues and decided to leave it for the next day. After five days, we ended up coming back without visiting the Vatican. :lol:

Last time we went to Rome it was in January and there were practically no queues. But anyway, by joining an organized tour you make sure that you won't have to wait. Besides, visiting the place with a good guide makes all the difference.

3 hours ago, Zax said:

Adelin, the queue to get in is only the first problem. Vatican Museums are always crowded, expecially in the week-end. If you want to make your visit more enjoyable i suggest you to book your tour in the middle of the week. 

On what day are you planning to came here in Rome?

March 7-13

Unfortunately, I already booked a tour for saturday in the morning ... I hope it won't be that crowded in March.

31 minutes ago, Adelin said:

March 7-13

Unfortunately, I already booked a tour for saturday in the morning ... I hope it won't be that crowded in March.

Adelin,

Which tour did you book.. I would like to have a look..:D

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

1 hour ago, Adelin said:

Does it include a mass service? :lol2:

That tour looks very ok too. You visit the same places as all tours do, and it's true that at 14:00 it's lunch time and there'll be less people visiting. Take lots of pictures!

Edited by carlos

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2018 at 12:39 AM, GeordieGirl said:

Slightly left of topic but still within the subject matter - there is an interesting article on the Arch of Titus in the February Public WT and its connection to Bible prophecy. Page 9, I think.

you mean the second edition of the WT for public ... indeed, great ... thanks

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/watchtower-no2-2018-may-jun/arch-of-titus-accurate-prophecy/

6 hours ago, Adelin said:

you mean the second edition of the WT for public ... indeed, great ... thanks

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/watchtower-no2-2018-may-jun/arch-of-titus-accurate-prophecy/

Yes, the second one, not February. Old habits die hard. Sorry Brother Adelin, I didn't mean to confuse and mislead. 

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

I took the tickets for the Colloseum tour (Belvedere and Underground). What else should I buy? I see there are tickets for skipping the line - Palatine Hill, Roman Forum and Colloseum. Should I take that as well or I can skip the line with the tour ticket and buy and entrance ticket there?

I took the tickets for the Colloseum tour (Belvedere and Underground). What else should I buy? I see there are tickets for skipping the line - Palatine Hill, Roman Forum and Colloseum. Should I take that as well or I can skip the line with the tour ticket and buy and entrance ticket there?

My impression is that the tours are rather useless and just skim the information, sometimes incorrectly even. So, read up a bit on the forum romanum and the palatine hill and then go on an adventure by yourself. Bring a bottle that you can refill from the fine fountains.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

The "skip the line" tickets are usefoul for places like coloseum or vaticans museum, but normally in all other places you'll be stuck in line just for some minutes.
Here in Rome there are a lot of places to visit. After many years i still discover new ones from time to time. It's up to you to choose wich one to visit, all depends on your available time and your preferences.
Anyway, like suggested previously, a good place to visit is "Ostia Antica". Is just outside Rome but you can go there in few minutes by underground. Take a good pair of shoes, you are going to walk a lot.
Note that if you are low on budget there are also free entrance museums or archeological sites.
Let me know if you need help to arrange your schedule.
Obviously if you want we can meet somewhere and share a walk in the center of Rome :)
Feel free to contact me in PM.

So, I bought that Colloseum tour ticket (it is only the coopculture site that provides this) ... the question was - do I need any other ticket in order to visit the Colloseum? (for entrance or for skipping the line etc)

Edited by Adelin