JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2014

Friday, March 14

Though against me war should rise, even then I shall be trusting.—Ps. 27:3.

Why is our preaching activity on the increase despite worsening world conditions? Why do we give freely of our time and energy while many are experiencing economic reversals? How can we remain courageous when many others fear the future? An inspired song of King David, recorded in Psalm 27, gives us the answers. David begins this psalm with the words: “Jehovah is my light and my salvation. Of whom shall I be in fear? Jehovah is the stronghold of my life. Of whom shall I be in dread?” (Ps. 27:1) While fear can exert a weakening influence, the feeling of dread is even more severe. But no underlying dread should agitate one who fears Jehovah. (1 Pet. 3:14) When we make Jehovah our stronghold, we “will reside in security and be undisturbed from dread of calamity.”—Prov. 1:33; 3:25w12 7/15 3:1, 2

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About a year ago, maybe a bit more, my husband told me he didn't want to hear anything about Jehovah again, it was my life and he didn't want me trying to drag him into something he didn't want. It was very hard but I honored that. Last week, when he came home from work, we had our usual catch up time for about an hour, he then started talking about how he feels something is wrong, he let all his worries out, I gave the best witness of my life. Is Jehovah searching his heart? Is he just being emotional again? I don't know but I did feel Jehovah's spirit there, my words came out easy and he got a good witness. I told him he has to choose, it's not a matter of IF her wants to choose but which way he'll choose. 

So yes, I do agree that Jehovah is compelling us all to make our choice, more than ever before. Things are different now. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

That's awesome Cheryl, Grumpy started to come back in the past few months and it has improved things so much. I'm happy for you. Maybe he is going to reach out. ;-)

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Saturday, March 15

Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations.—Matt. 28:19.

Citizens of human governments will publicly rally support for a political party, even going from door to door to do so. On a much larger scale, Kingdom citizens vigorously support God’s Kingdom both on the street and from door to door. In fact, TheWatchtower, which announces Jehovah’s Kingdom, is now the most widely distributed journal on earth! One of the greatest privileges we have is that of telling others about God’s Kingdom. Are you zealously engaging in the preaching work? Soon God’s Kingdom will be the only government ruling the earth. It will oversee all aspects of daily life, not only spiritual but also civil. Will you be a good citizen of God’s Kingdom at that time? Now is the time to prove that you will be. In all the decisions you make each day, do all things for Jehovah’s glory and thus prove that you are carrying on as a good citizen of God’s Kingdom.—1 Cor. 10:31w12 8/15 2:15, 16

An interesting scripture...

To me it shows that there will be a multitude of people who don't realise or accept that anything is amiss about the world in which they live. Poor souls, but to be that way they must ignore the message of truth, a message that's now being preached by millions earthwide.

Some, of course, will hold to the beliefs of Babylon the Great. Secure in the knowledge that they will be raptured, or whatever their false prophets convince them is coming.

Satan's ultimate deception (2 Cor 4:4) will reap its huge reward, but it will not reward the 'god of this system of things' at all. Such waste, how appalled Jehovah must be at the knowledge that so many could have lived in the peace and harmony in the coming system. Yet we see them laugh at us, don't we? And they tell us they will pray for our salvation... but to whom are they praying.

This happened to an elderly brother and myself out in the field a week or two back. "You people are so misled, I will pray for you to see the light," we were told. Old Tony sidled up to me at the meeting the following night, "Do you feel better now?" he asked.

Yes, there is a strand of humour there, but it pales alongside the tragedy...

Sunday, March 16

Look! I am making all things new.—Rev. 21:5.

Do we yearn for the day when God makes all things new, removing the problems we now face? Though we have ample reason for believing that the end of Satan’s system is very near, it can be difficult to wait patiently for that day. Yet, the Bible shows that we must have patience. Like God’s servants before us, we will receive what God has promised if we have strong faith and wait patiently for his time to fulfill those promises. (Heb. 6:11, 12) Jehovah himself has been patient. He could have put an end to wickedness at any time, but he is waiting for the right time. (Rom. 9:20-24) Jehovah has been patient, knowing that it would take time to answer the questions raised by the rebellion in Eden. Having thorough knowledge of the deeds and attitudes of individuals in heaven and on earth, he certainly is acting in our best interests.—Heb. 4:13w12 9/15 3:1-3

On face value you wouldn't think that allowing centuries of misery and suffering would be in our best interests. A million years from now,though,  when everything is new and we are safe and secure in the knowledge that no-one or no thing can disrupt the sweet beautiful peace in heaven and on earth, we will have this period of suffering to thank for it. This temporary suffering will be a distant memory and will never cause us distress again. Praise Jah for his far-sighted wisdom.  

Edited by Purple Triangle

Originally posted by GrumpysWife

.....Having thorough knowledge of the deeds and attitudes of individuals in heaven and on earth, he certainly is acting in our best interests.

How good it is to see it pointed out that Jehovah's methods and decisions are influenced by our[/l] needs. Very humbling.

Ro 9 regarding Jehovah as the potter and we as the clay is one of my favorites.  Who are we to say to him "why are you doing things this way?"  It reminds me to be soft so he can mold me.  I am inpatient in a lot of ways so this text is a good reminder.

Monday, March 17

Keep proving what you yourselves are.—2 Cor. 13:5.

Whether you are newly baptized or have been serving God for decades, you need to examine yourself periodically. Proving true to our dedication vow means that we must be faithful in all matters. For example: Are you married? Then continue to honor the precious vow you made to love and cherish your marriage mate. Have you signed a business contract or filled out an application form for theocratic privileges? Then be true to your commitments and to what you have promised. Have you accepted an invitation to a meal by someone of humble means? Then do not cancel it if a seemingly better invitation is made by someone else. Or have you promised someone you met in the house-to-house ministry that you would call again to give that person further spiritual help? Then by all means let your “Yes mean Yes,” and Jehovah will bless your ministry.—Matt. 5:37; Luke 16:10w12 10/15 4:14, 15

Tuesday, March 18

I exhort you as aliens and temporary residents.—1 Pet. 2:11.

Peter spoke of those who, like him, had been anointed by holy spirit and given “a new birth to a living hope” to rule with Christ in the heavens. (1 Pet. 1:3, 4) It was fitting to apply the term “temporary residents” to anointed ones in the first century. As is true of the remnant of this group alive today, their existence on earth was not permanent. The apostle Paul, himself a member of the anointed “little flock,” explained: “As for us, our citizenship exists in the heavens, from which place also we are eagerly waiting for a savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.” (Luke 12:32; Phil. 3:20) Given that their “citizenship exists in the heavens,” at death anointed ones will leave the earthly scene for something far better, immortal life in the heavens. (Phil. 1:21-23) Thus, in a very literal way, they could be termed mere “temporary residents” of the earth under Satan’s control. w12 12/15 3:1, 2

Cheryl--I complain about the aging process but I too now appreciate the wisdom that comes with getting older in Jehovah 's loving care. I now understand that wisdom of some sorts comes with age and hard knocks but TRUE wisdom is only found between the pages of our Father's word.

I now have to suffer the consequences of making poor choices in life because I based my decisions on my wants, desires and so called needs. Stupid is as stupid does. I can't undo a lot of those poor voices but I like something I heard Dr Phil say one time---' you can make a good decision or you can make a decision good'. All gratitude and love goes up to the One who contines to give me inside knowledge and time to make better decisions and try to make amends for the past mistakes or just outright selfish actions.

Looking so forward to that time when we do not have to have these hurtful memories come up to haunt us!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I was just talking about 'not remembering' and how long in the New System we'd have to go to have it. I truly believe it won't take long. It'll be so wonderful. The relief so intense, we'll be so busy with recovery and positive thoughts that to think of this ratty old system would not even be something we'd do. At least I'm hoping so.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Wednesday, March 19

He that conducts himself as a lesser one among all of you is the one that is great.—Luke 9:48.

The year was 32 C.E. Jesus was in the district of Galilee when difficulties arose. A few of his apostles were arguing about who was the greatest among them. (Luke 9:46-48) Patiently but firmly, Jesus helped the apostles to see the need for humility. The Greek word translated “lesser one” means someone who is modest, humble, lowly, insignificant, or of little esteem and influence. Jesus used a young child to make clear to his apostles that they should be humble and modest. That admonition is as applicable to true Christians today as it was in the first century. We may find it challenging to conduct ourselves as lesser ones—at least in some circumstances. The human tendency toward pride may motivate us to seek prominence. The competitive environment in which we live and the spirit of the world might influence us to be egotistical, combative, or manipulative. w12 11/15 3:1, 3

Thursday, March 20

The blessing of Jehovah—that is what makes rich, and he adds no pain with it.—Prov. 10:22.

If you are a young person who is contemplating a career, how can you choose the right path? Would training and employment in the field that you are considering allow you to pursue Kingdom interests more fully, or would it distance you from Jehovah? (2 Tim. 4:10) Is your goal to imitate the lifestyle of people whose happiness rises and falls depending on the size of their bank account or stock portfolio? Or will you choose to reflect the confidence of David, who wrote: “A young man I used to be, I have also grown old, and yet I have not seen anyone righteous left entirely, nor his offspring looking for bread”? (Ps. 37:25) Remember, one path will distance you from Jehovah, while the other path will lead you to the best life ever. (Mal. 3:10) Which path will you choose? w13 1/15 2:10

Friday, March 21

When you catch sight of the disgusting thing that causes desolation, . . . begin fleeing to the mountains.—Matt. 24:15, 16.

For the Christians who had fled to the mountains, heeding Jesus’ instructions meant saving their lives. They saw firsthand that Jehovah knows how to deliver his people. What lesson can we learn from this account? As events unfold during the great tribulation, Christians will need to heed instructions from God’s Word and organization. For example, Jesus’ command to “begin fleeing to the mountains” has a modern-day application. Just what form our flight will take remains to be seen. However, we can be sure that Jehovah will make clear the meaning of those instructions when the time comes for us to follow them. Since our deliverance will depend on obedience, we do well to ask ourselves: ‘How do I respond to instructions that Jehovah provides for his people now? Am I quick to respond, or do I hesitate to obey?’—Jas. 3:17w12 4/15 4:13, 15, 16

Edited by GrumpysWife

Since our deliverance will depend on obedience, we do well to ask ourselves: ‘How do I respond to instructions that Jehovah provides for his people now? Am I quick to respond, or do I hesitate to obey?’

This is something I've noticed the Brothers bringing up a lot in meetings and in Assemblies. We really need to be faithful in all things, not walking the line or pushing boundaries. 

So true Cheryl. We need to determine in our mine now, that no matter what we are going to be obedient. We practice with the little things and then the big things will be easier to do.

Saturday, March 22

She is free to be married to whom she wants, only in the Lord.—1 Cor. 7:39.

Jehovah cares about your choice of marriage mate. With regard to inhabitants of Canaan, the Israelites were commanded: “You must form no marriage alliance with them. Your daughter you must not give to his son, and his daughter you must not take for your son. For he will turn your son from following me, and they will certainly serve other gods; and Jehovah’s anger will indeed blaze against you, and he will certainly annihilate you in a hurry.” (Deut. 7:3, 4) Centuries later, Ezra the priest declared: “You yourselves have acted unfaithfully in that you gave a dwelling to foreign wives so as to add to the guiltiness of Israel.” (Ezra 10:10) If a dedicated servant of Jehovah married an unbeliever, this would be an act of disobedience to God. And it would be illogical to expect blessings while admitting in prayer, ‘Jehovah, I deliberately disobeyed you, but please bless me anyway.’ w12 5/15 1:6, 7

Sunday, March 23

The thoughts of men . . . are as an exhalation.—Ps. 94:11.

The vast and reliable wisdom found in the Bible indicates that the book is from a Source higher than man. The apostle Paul wrote: “Who has come to know the mind of Jehovah, that he may instruct him?” (1 Cor. 2:16) That verse is based on what the prophet Isaiah asked those of his day: “Who has taken the proportions of the spirit of Jehovah, and who as his man of counsel can make him know anything?” (Isa. 40:13) The answer, of course, is no one. No wonder that applying Scriptural counsel on marriage, children, entertainment, association, industriousness, honesty, and morality brings superior results! We never get bad advice from the Bible. Humans, on the other hand, are simply not wise enough to recommend what always works. (Jer. 10:23) Their advice is constantly being revised and updated as they come to realize that earlier advice was flawed. w12 6/15 4:11

A good example when I was reading the ds is the android phone.not only the apps but also Google itself keeps updating every now and then.they are supposed to be the unique people who seem to have the whole net world under control and also would like to govern America.how funny.

Sent from my Q800 using Tapatalk

I think, if properly modified, this would make a great conversation starter.

This made me think of a Barnes and Noble book store, how many self-help books, up-dated self-help books, manuals for new products that are now obsolete and need new manuals, just to name a few. 

Reminds me of Ecc. 12:12

12 To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion [to them] is wearisome to the flesh. 13 The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the [true] God and keep his commandments. For this is the whole [obligation] of man.

Interesting