Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2014

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Monday, May 26

I do lift up my hand in an oath to Jehovah.—Gen. 14:22.

Perfect creatures who love God and imitate him do not need to make an oath; they always tell the truth and have complete trust in one another. But things changed with the introduction of human sin and imperfection. Eventually, when lying and deception were common among men, it became necessary for them to swear to the truthfulness of important matters. Making oaths was a legal tool that the patriarch Abraham used to good advantage on at least three occasions. (Gen. 21:22-24; 24:2-4, 9) This occurred, for example, when he returned from defeating the king of Elam and his allies. (Gen. 14:17-20) When the king of Sodom wanted to reward Abraham for rescuing the king’s people from the invading armies, Abraham swore: “From a thread to a sandal lace, no, I shall take nothing from anything that is yours, in order that you may not say, ‘It was I who made Abram rich.’”—Gen. 14:21-23w12 10/15 3:4, 5

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

one of the wonderful sayings of Jah:  "by myself I swear

even 'perfect creatures do not need to make an oath', how much more is that true to Jehovah

so, this shows something regarding the way he wants us to see his promises (-how important is faith in His promises-)

" Indeed, what do you have that you did not receive ? "

Tuesday, May 27

God kept making it grow.—1 Cor. 3:6.

Although Jehovah is the one who makes the seeds that we plant and water grow, he bestows upon us an honorable position of working with him. (1 Cor. 3:9) Is that not an astonishing example of humility on God’s part? Surely Jehovah’s example of humility should be of great encouragement to each of us to behave as a lesser one. God’s example of humility had a tremendous effect on the psalmist David. He sang to Jehovah: “It is your humility that makes me great.” (2 Sam. 22:36) David attributed any greatness he had in Israel to Jehovah’s humility—to God’s condescending, or humbling himself, to pay attention to him. (Ps. 113:5-7) Is it any different with us? In the way of qualities, abilities, and privileges, what do any of us have that we “did not receive” from Jehovah? (1 Cor. 4:7) The person who conducts himself as a lesser one is “great” in that he becomes more valuable as a servant of Jehovah.—Luke 9:48, ftn. w12 11/15 3:6, 7

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Wednesday, May 28

Keep abstaining from fleshly desires.—1 Pet. 2:11.

Some desires, when satisfied in the manner decreed by the Creator, are not wrong in themselves. For example, there are the normal desires to enjoy good food and drink, to participate in refreshing activities, and to find delight in wholesome companionship. Even the desire for sexual pleasure with one’s marriage mate is fitting and has its place. (1 Cor. 7:3-5) Peter, though, correctly limited the “fleshly desires” of which he was speaking to those that “carry on a conflict against the soul.” Making it obvious just what is meant, some Bible translations speak of “fleshly lusts” (King James Version) or “sinful desires” (New International Version). Clearly, any human desire that conflicts with Jehovah’s expressed purpose and that could negatively affect one’s good relationship with God must be kept in check. Otherwise a Christian’s hope of keeping his soul alive could be seriously endangered. w12 12/15 3:8, 9

I appreciate that Peter here says KEEP abstaining because the desires do not go away as long as we continue alive in the imperfect flesh...which we all hope to do right on through the end of this system! 

Thursday, May 29

A word at its right time is O how good!—Prov. 15:23.

Elders today see the importance of putting their feelings of appreciation for their brothers into words. (Prov. 3:27) Whenever an elder does that, he tells his brothers, in effect: ‘I noticed what you did. I care about you.’ And fellow believers definitely need to hear the elders’ reassuring words. A sister in her mid-50’s spoke for many when she said: “At work I seldom get a compliment. There’s a cold and competitive climate. So when an elder commends me for something I’ve done for the congregation, it’s so refreshing, so energizing! It makes me feel loved by my heavenly Father.” A brother who received heartfelt commendation said: “The elder’s words gave me a real boost!” Indeed, by sincerely commending fellow believers, an elder lifts their spirit and deepens their joy. That, in turn, will give them added strength to keep on walking on the road to life “and not tire out.”—Isa. 40:31w13 1/15 5:9

Friday, May 30

No man can come to me unless the Father, who sent me, draws him.—John 6:44.

Each person whom Jehovah draws becomes part of a worldwide congregation of genuine friends who love what is right. Our loving God helps such ones to gain his approval. He has also been selecting from among humankind prospective members of his heavenly government. Upon gaining their heavenly position, these devoted ones will help obedient humans to reach perfection and endless life. Clearly, even while he is patiently waiting, Jehovah has been working to fulfill his promises—for our good. It can be challenging to keep this in mind as we grow older or suffer in this wicked system. We might become discouraged or feel that God is slow to fulfill his promises. (Heb. 10:36) Never forget that he has good reasons for being patient and that he is employing the intervening time for the benefit of his loyal servants.—2 Pet. 2:3; 3:9w12 9/15 3:5, 7

Saturday, May 31

What is mortal man that you keep him in mind?—Ps. 8:4.

Does it seem farfetched that God would take an intimate interest in lowly humans? The psalmist David pondered this question, saying to Jehovah the words of today’s text. Perhaps his question was prompted by David’s own experience. In him, the youngest son of Jesse, Jehovah had found “a man agreeable to his heart” and had taken him “from following the flock to become a leader” over Israel. (1 Sam. 13:14; 2 Sam. 7:8) Imagine how David must have felt upon realizing that the Creator of the universe had paid attention to his private meditations, the musings of a shepherd boy! It is no less astonishing to contemplate the remarkable personal interest that Jehovah is showing in us today. He is collecting together in true worship “the desirable things of all the nations,” and he is helping his servants to maintain their integrity.—Hag. 2:7w12 4/15 5:3, 4

Sunday, June 1

By faith Rahab the harlot did not perish.—Heb. 11:31.

Because of her acts of faith and courage, Rahab and her household were spared when the city of Jericho fell to the Israelites. (Jas. 2:25) Of course, Rahab abandoned her immoral life so as to please Jehovah. Some who have become Christians have had the faith, courage, and moral strength to make similar changes to please God. After Joshua’s death, the Moabitess Ruth courageously took her stand for true worship. When her widowed mother-in-law, Naomi, urged Ruth to return to her own people, the Moabitess replied: “Do not plead with me to abandon you, to turn back from accompanying you . . . Your people will be my people, and your God my God.” (Ruth 1:16) Ruth meant that. In time, Naomi’s kinsman Boaz married Ruth, who bore a son and became an ancestress of David and of Jesus. Yes, Jehovah blesses acts of faith and courage.—Ruth 2:12; 4:17-22; Matt. 1:1-6w13 1/15 1:9, 10

Monday, June 2

Solomon . . . did not follow Jehovah fully like David his father.—1 Ki. 11:6.

David’s son Solomon was greatly favored by Jehovah God. In time, however, Solomon failed to show respect for God’s Law. He did not heed Jehovah’s command that an Israelite king should “not multiply wives for himself.” (Deut. 17:17) In fact, Solomon married many foreign women. When he grew old, “his wives themselves had inclined his heart to follow other gods.” (1 Ki. 11:1-5) If unbelievers make romantic advances toward us, does our response reflect a viewpoint like that of David or one like Solomon’s? True worshippers are told to marry “only in the Lord.” (1 Cor. 7:39) If a Christian chooses to get married, he or she should marry a fellow believer. And if we discern the spirit of this Scriptural requirement, we will not only refrain from marrying an unbeliever but also refrain from entertaining any romantic advances from such an individual. w12 11/15 1:15, 16

The recent turn of events with my fleshly sister too confirm that it is not only romantic relationships we must refrain from but unwholesome friends/and family who have no respect for Jehovah s laws and standards. When we long to have a close relationship with these individuals we are on a slippery slope we may not be able to recover from. It is so treacherous and deceiving because family values are instilled in us. We naturally love our children and ca

Only members but their lifestyles and choices can lead to our demise by not keeping Jehovah first and foremost. It is agonizing to watch so I can not imiagine what the hurt is like to endure.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Tuesday, June 3

There . . . arose a heated dispute among them over which one of them seemed to be greatest.—Luke 22:24.

Jesus’ disciples had a problem. They kept arguing about who was greater. (Mark 9:33-35; 10:43; Luke 9:46) From his long experience with the Father, Jesus knew how Jehovah feels about such prideful tendencies. (2 Sam. 22:28; Ps. 138:6) Moreover, Jesus had seen such inclinations manifested by Satan the Devil. That egotistic individual cared greatly about prominence and position. Hence, how grieved Jesus must have been to see an ambitious attitude continue among the disciples he had trained! It was even found among the ones he had chosen as apostles! They showed an ambitious attitude until the very last day of Jesus’ life on earth. Yet, Jesus kept on reproving them with kindness, without ever losing hope that they would eventually learn to imitate his own humble mental attitude.—Luke 22:25-27; Phil. 2:5-8w12 4/15 1:12

Wednesday, June 4

Its feet were partly of iron and partly of molded clay.—Dan. 2:33.

A prophecy in the book of Daniel describes an image in human form that represents successive world powers. The final world power is depicted as the feet and toes. This indicates that no other human world power will appear on the scene. During World War I, Britain and the United States forged a special partnership. Yes, the fifth part of Daniel’s image is the Anglo-American World Power. That the feet and toes are made up of iron and clay pictures the weakened state of the Anglo-American World Power. The same prophecy indicates that God’s Kingdom, pictured by a large stone, was cut from the mountain of Jehovah’s sovereignty in 1914. That stone is now hurtling toward its target—the feet of the image. At Armageddon, the feet and the rest of the image will be smashed. (Dan. 2:44, 45) Thus, the Anglo-American World Power will still be the dominant world power when Armageddon strikes. How thrilling it will be to witness the complete fulfillment of this prophecy! w12 9/15 1:13, 14

So will China take over? Of course not. Prophecy indicates otherwise. The fact that countries such as China, the BRICS countries, etc... are challenging the Anglo-American dominance and seem to be biting at it's heels is another indication of the fulfillment of Bible prophecy showing the weakened state caused by the iron and clay mixture. It may begin to fracture and fall apart, but before it does, Jehovah steps in and puts an end to it all.

We must be close!

Thursday, June 5

You, O Jehovah, are good and ready to forgive.—Ps. 86:5.

It is normal to be deeply grieved when a beloved family member leaves Jehovah and is disfellowshipped. Yet, if you choose the path of resentment toward Jehovah, you will distance yourself from him. Really, what your beloved family member needs to see is your resolute stance to put Jehovah above everything else—including the family bond. So to cope with the situation, be sure to maintain your own spirituality. Do not isolate yourself from your faithful Christian brothers and sisters. (Prov. 18:1) Pour out your feelings to Jehovah in prayer. (Ps. 62:7, 8) Do not look for excuses to associate with a disfellowshipped family member, for example, through e-mail. (1 Cor. 5:11) Stay absorbed in spiritual activities. (1 Cor. 15:58) However, it is not wrong for you to entertain the hope that your loved one will return. w13 1/15 2:16, 19, 20

Friday, June 6

He is . . . humble.—Zech. 9:9.

Jesus Christ’s course of humility and obedience on earth culminated in his death on a torture stake. He thus proved beyond a doubt that humans can remain loyal to Jehovah even when tested to the extreme. Jesus also showed that Satan was wrong in claiming that humans serve Jehovah for selfish reasons. (Job 1:9-11; 2:4) Christ’s record of perfect integrity also upheld the rightfulness and righteousness of Jehovah’s universal sovereignty. (Prov. 27:11) By his death on a torture stake, Jesus also paid the ransom price for mankind. (Matt. 20:28) This provided an opportunity for sinful humans to live forever, and it satisfied the demands of righteousness. (Rom. 5:18) Jesus’ death opened up the prospect of immortal life in heaven for spirit-anointed Christians and everlasting life on earth for the “other sheep.”—John 10:16; Rom. 8:16, 17w12 11/15 2:9-11

Saturday, June 7

I myself returned that I might see all the acts of oppression that are being done under the sun, and, look! the tears of those being oppressed, but they had no comforter.—Eccl. 4:1.

Things are similar, if not worse, today. Who among us has not shed tears for some reason? True, at times they may be tears of joy. Generally, though, tears reflect the outpouring of an anguished heart. Because of the tragic events—small and large—that befall us, mankind is sorely in need of comfort and relief. That is what the Thousand Year Reign will bring to its subjects: “[God] will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore.” (Rev. 21:4) As wonderful as it is that mourning, outcry, and pain will be no more, God’s promise even includes doing away with mankind’s ultimate enemy—death. w12 9/15 2:10, 12

Sunday, June 8

To the point of excess I kept on persecuting the congregation of God and devastating it.—Gal. 1:13.

Paul was not proud of having to write such things about himself, but neither did he try to act as though none of that had ever happened. (1 Cor. 15:9; Phil. 3:6; 1 Tim. 1:13) He was well-aware that he had made serious mistakes. (Acts 26:9-11) Paul’s example clearly shows that if we confess our sins and change our course, Jehovah is willing to blot out even grievous sins on the basis of Jesus’ ransom sacrifice. What a good lesson this is for any who find it hard to believe that the benefits of Christ’s sacrifice could be meant for them personally! (1 Tim. 1:15, 16) Even though Paul had been a rabid persecutor of Christ, he could write: “The Son of God . . . loved me and handed himself over for me.” (Gal. 2:20; Acts 9:5) Yes, Paul learned the principle of how to serve without amassing more regrets. Is that something that you have learned? w13 1/15 4:6, 8

Monday, June 9

Serve [Jehovahwith a complete heart . . . ; for all hearts Jehovah is searching.—1 Chron. 28:9.

Jehovah is the Examiner of all hearts, including ours. (Prov. 17:3; 21:2) And what he finds in our heart has a strong bearing on our relationship with him and on our future. Thus, we have good reason to follow David’s inspired counsel by doing our utmost to serve Jehovah with a complete heart. Our zealous activities as Jehovah’s people show that we have, indeed, a deep desire to serve God with a complete heart. To check that our resolve to serve God is not weakening—that we are not letting our guard down—we need to peer regularly into our heart. How can we do that? Obviously, our inner personality is unseen—much as the core, or heart, of a tree cannot be seen. Still, as Jesus mentioned in the Sermon on the Mount, just as fruits reveal the condition of a tree, so our activities demonstrate the true condition of our heart.—Matt. 7:17-20w12 4/15 3:5-7

Tuesday, June 10

There are four kingdoms from his nation that will stand up, but not with his power.—Dan. 8:22.

In one vision, Daniel saw Greece depicted as a leopard with four wings, indicating that this empire would conquer swiftly. (Dan. 7:6) In another vision, Daniel described how a goat with a prominent single horn quickly kills a two-horned ram, Medo-Persia. Jehovah told Daniel that the goat symbolized Greece and the large horn depicted one of its kings. Daniel further recorded that the large horn would be broken and four smaller horns would grow in its place. Even though this prophecy was written hundreds of years before Greece became dominant, every detail came true. Alexander the Great, the most prominent king of ancient Greece, led the charge against Medo-Persia. This horn was soon broken, though, the great king dying at the height of his power and at only 32 years of age. Then, his kingdom was eventually divided among four of his generals.—Dan. 8:20-22w12 6/15 1:15

Wednesday, June 11

They are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has yoked together let no man put apart.—Matt. 19:6.

Whether single or married, all of us need to bear in mind Jesus’ words. Coveting another person’s marriage mate is a sin. (Deut. 5:21)

If any Christian begins to entertain such a covetous desire, he or she should act quickly to rout out the unclean desire, even at the cost of great emotional pain because of having allowed selfish cravings to develop. (Matt. 5:27-30) It is vital to correct such thinking and suppress the sinful yearning of a treacherous heart. (Jer. 17:9) Even many of those who have known little or nothing about Jehovah God and his wonderful gift of marriage have shown at least a measure of gratitude for the marital bond. How much more so should we who are dedicated to “the happy God,” Jehovah, rejoice in all of his provisions and give evidence that we really appreciate God’s gift of marriage!—1 Tim. 1:11. w12 5/15 1:17, 18