Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2014

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Saturday, June 28

By means of your seed all nations of the earth will certainly bless themselves.—Gen. 22:18.

The Bible describes more than 40 different occasions when Jehovah God made sworn oaths. Perhaps the best-known example was in God’s dealings with Abraham. Over a period of many years, Jehovah had made several covenant promises to Abraham that when combined show that the promised Seed would descend from Abraham through his son Isaac. (Gen. 12:1-3, 7; 13:14-17; 15:5, 18; 21:12) Then Jehovah put Abraham to a severe test, commanding him to offer up his beloved son. Without delay, Abraham obeyed and was about to sacrifice Isaac when an angel of God stopped him. Then God made this oath: “By myself I do swear . . . that by reason of the fact that you have done this thing and you have not withheld your son, your only one, I shall surely bless you and I shall surely multiply your seed like the stars of the heavens and like the grains of sand that are on the seashore.”—Gen. 22:1-3, 9-12, 15-17w12 10/15 3:6

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Sunday, June 29

Maintain your conduct fine among the nations.—1 Pet. 2:12.

Foreigners, temporary residents in a land not their own, are at times criticized. Simply because they differ from their neighbors, they may even be viewed as if they were evildoers. Their speech, their actions, their dress, perhaps even their appearance may be somewhat different. But when they do good works, that is to say, when their conduct is fine, negative comments about their being different are proved groundless. Similarly, true Christians differ from many of their neighbors in certain respects, as in conversation or choice of entertainment. Their dress and grooming often identify them as being different from most in the community. These differences have sometimes led misinformed individuals to accuse them of being, as it were, evildoers. However, other people may praise them for their way of life. Yes, fine conduct can work to counteract unjustified criticism. w12 12/15 3:11-13

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Monday, June 30

I am longing to see you, that I may impart some spiritual gift to you in order for you to be made firm.—Rom. 1:11.

What is an especially vital way in which elders show personal interest in their brothers and add to the congregation’s joy? By taking the initiative to reach out to those who need encouragement. (Acts 20:28) When elders do so, they imitate spiritual shepherds of old. Note, for instance, what the faithful overseer Nehemiah did when he saw that some of his Jewish brothers had grown spiritually weak. The account states that he immediately rose up and encouraged them. (Neh. 4:14) Today, elders want to do the same. They ‘rise up’—take the initiative—to help fellow believers to be firm in faith. To give such personal encouragement, they visit their brothers and sisters in their homes if circumstances allow. During such shepherding visits, they want to “impart some spiritual gift” to them.w13 1/15 5:10

I love it when the elders or ANY of our friends take the initiative to notice or encourage me. Likewise, I too must remember to do such. What I really appreciate is the fact that our KH of 40 publishers allows us to be a real family to one another. We know each other better because of our small number. Hence, we can tell buy each others mannerisms when I e is having a particularly hard time and be there for them. I adore this ASL group that is now my own real family!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Tuesday, July 1

Send out your light and your truth. May these themselves lead me. May they bring me to your holy 

mountain.—Ps. 43:3.

In his Word, God has preserved for the use of his people the very name he chose for himself. The Scriptures first mention “Jehovah God” in “a history of the heavens and the earth.” (Gen. 2:4) God’s name was miraculously inscribed several times on the stone tablets bearing the Ten Commandments. For instance, the first commandment began: “I am Jehovah your God.” (Ex. 20:1-17) God’s name lives on because the Sovereign Lord Jehovah has preserved his Word and his name despite all satanic efforts to eliminate them. (Ps. 73:28) In his Word, Jehovah has also preserved the truth. Though religious error abounds worldwide, how thankful we are that God has given us spiritual light and truth! Whereas the masses of mankind walk in darkness, we joyfully keep on walking in God-given spiritual light.—1 John 1:6, 7w13 2/15 1:2, 3

My grandson asked me "how do we know God exists?"  I told him that one way is through the world around us, the creation. Another way is that God has tried to communicate with us through the Bible. Now, here is something else: God has told us who he is.... he has revealed his name to us! 

-Dave

Wednesday, July 2

Run in such a way that you may attain [the prize].—1 Cor. 9:24.

As Christians, we are in a race—a symbolic footrace. Our focus must be on running to win. Our race is not a sprint in which speed is the key to victory. And it definitely is not a mere jog with frequent idle moments. Rather, it can be likened to a marathon wherein endurance is necessary for victory. The Bible tells us to run in this figurative race. (1 Cor. 9:25-27) The prize is everlasting life, either in heaven for anointed Christians or on earth for the rest of the participants. Unlike most athletic contests, this race allows for all who enter and who endure to the end to win the prize. (Matt. 24:13) Contestants lose only if they fail to run according to the rules or do not cross the finish line. Furthermore, this is the only race that offers the prize of everlasting life. However, crossing the finish line is not easy. It takes discipline and certainty of purpose. w13 3/15 1:2-4

From the article w13 3/15 1:2-4
Some lapse into minor sin—even repeatedly—because of some weakness. But they are still righteous in Jehovah’s eyes if they continue to “get up,” that is, sincerely repent and strive to resume a course of loyal service. We can see that from the way God dealt with ancient Israel. (Isa. 41:9, 10Proverbs 24:16, quoted earlier, rather than emphasizing the negative—our ‘falling’—focuses on the positive, our ‘getting up’ with the help of our merciful God. (Read Isaiah 55:7.) Expressing their confidence in us, Jehovah God and Jesus Christ kindly encourage us to “get up.”—Ps. 86:5; John 5:19.

In looking at the article, I am most encouraged by this paragraph.  I recall a point in my journey with Jehovah where I continually made the same mistake and I was the one who kept beating myself for failing miserably.  I didn't have Jehovah's viewpoint of my weaknesses, and I wasn't allowing him to assist me in making the necessary changes.  Thus I kept making the same mistake, over and over.  

I often missed meetings because I felt like such a hypocrite.  How could I say I loved God, yet prove otherwise by my actions.  Jehovah saw my heart though, and knew why I stayed away, and he corrected that thinking.  Jehovah indeed is a wonderful and merciful God who encourages us to get up.

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

Thursday, July 3

Blessed be Jehovah the God of Israel, who has sent you this day to meet me! And blessed be your  sensibleness, and blessed be you who have restrained me this day from entering into bloodguilt.—1 Sam. 25:32, 33.

What lesson can we learn from the account involving David and Nabal? (1 Sam. 25:9-13, 21, 22) Jehovah used Abigail to restrain David from taking a false step. He does much the same for us today. Of course, we should not expect that God will send someone to intervene whenever we are about to make a mistake; nor can we presume to know precisely how God will act in any given situation or what he will allow in the outworking of his purpose. (Eccl. 11:5) Nonetheless, we can be confident that Jehovah is always aware of our circumstances and will help us to remain faithful to him. He assures us: “I shall make you have insight and instruct you in the way you should go. I will give advice with my eye upon you.”—Ps. 32:8w12 4/15 5:9, 10

Friday, July 4

Many will rove about, and the true knowledge will become abundant.—Dan. 12:4.

Bible prophecy pointed to the exact time—1914—when “the appointed times of the nations [would be] fulfilled” and Kingdom rule would begin in heaven. (Luke 21:24; Dan. 4:10-17) How should recognizing that Kingdom rule has begun and that we are living in “the time of the end” affect us? Many see the worsening world conditions yet fail to acknowledge that these developments fulfill Bible prophecy regarding the last days. They may expect this system to fall apart one day or may believe that somehow human efforts will achieve “peace and security.” (1 Thess. 5:3) But what about us? If we recognize that we are living deep in the last days of Satan’s world, should we not endeavor to use the remaining time to serve the God of “times and seasons” and help others come to know him? (Dan. 2:21; 2 Tim. 3:1) We ought to make wise decisions about how we use our time.—Eph. 5:15-17w12 5/15 3:9, 11

Saturday, July 5

Look! Your house is abandoned to you.—Matt. 23:38.

Rome played a key role in the fulfillment of the prophecy recorded at Genesis 3:15. Satan used Roman officials to deliver a blow that temporarily crippled the seed, bruising it “in the heel.” How so? They tried Jesus on the false charge of sedition and had him executed. (Matt. 27:26) But that wound soon healed because Jehovah resurrected Jesus. The religious leaders of Israel conspired with Rome against Jesus, and the majority of the nation also rejected him. (Acts 2:22, 23) Thus, Jehovah abandoned natural Israel as his people. He now chose a new nation, “the Israel of God.” (Gal. 3:26-29; 6:16) That nation was the congregation of anointed Christians made up of both Jews and Gentiles. (Eph. 2:11-18) After Jesus’ death and resurrection, the seed of the serpent continued to express animosity toward the seed of the woman by attempting to wipe out the Christian congregation, the secondary part of the seed. w12 6/15 1:17, 18

Sunday, July 6

The creation itself also will be set free from enslavement to corruption and have the glorious freedom of the children of God.—Rom. 8:21.

“The creation” refers to mankind with the earthly hope, those who will benefit from “the revealing” of God’s spirit-anointed sons. That revealing will begin when these “sons,” resurrected to the spirit realm, share with Christ in cleansing the earth of evil and preserving “a great crowd” into the new system of things. (Rom. 8:19; Rev. 7:9, 14) Redeemed mankind will then experience a completely new freedom—freedom from the influence of Satan and the demons. (Rev. 20:1-3) Thereafter, Christ’s 144,000 fellow kings and priests will continue to liberate mankind by progressively applying the benefits of the ransom sacrifice until Adamic sin and imperfection have been fully erased. (Rev. 5:9, 10) Having proved faithful even under test, humans will have attained the very perfection of freedom that Jehovah has purposed for them. w12 7/15 1:17, 18

Monday, July 7

Let him call the older men of the congregation to him, and let them pray over him.—Jas. 5:14.

Could the desire to receive glory from humans affect even dedicated servants of God? Suppose a young man is assigned to preach in an area where he is fairly well-known in the community but is not yet known as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Will he shrink back in fear? Or what if someone is ridiculed for his pursuit of theocratic goals? Will he allow those without clear spiritual vision to influence his choices in life? Or perhaps a Christian has committed a serious sin. Will he hide his wrongdoing because he is afraid of losing his standing in the congregation or because he does not want to disappoint loved ones? In the latter case, if his foremost thought is to repair his relationship with Jehovah, he will “call the older men of the congregation” and seek their help.—Jas. 5:15, 16w13 2/15 4:9

Tuesday, July 8

[God’swill is that all sorts of men should be saved and come to an accurateknowledge of truth.—1 Tim. 2:4.

Jehovah wants people to come to know the truth so that they can worship him properly and receive his blessing. By making “the true knowledge” known, Jehovah has gathered a faithful remnant of anointed Christians. (Dan. 12:4) Out of “all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues,” he is also gathering “a great crowd,” who have the hope of living forever on earth. (Rev. 7:9) The expansion of true worship over the past 130 years points to the overwhelming conclusion that God and his appointed King, Jesus Christ, have been with Jehovah’s servants on earth—directing, protecting, organizing, and educating them. Their growth also underscores the certainty that Jehovah’s promises for the future will be fulfilled. “The earth will certainly be filled with the knowledge of Jehovah as the waters are covering the very sea.” (Isa. 11:9) What blessings mankind will then experience! w12 8/15 1:16, 17

Wednesday, July 9

We pronounce happy those who have endured.—Jas. 5:11.

What practical steps can we take to strengthen our faith, building up our patience? It is key that we apply God’s counsel. For instance, reflect on reasons that you have for putting the Kingdom first in your life. Can you put forth increased effort to apply the counsel found at Matthew 6:33? That might mean spending more time in the ministry or adjusting some aspects of your lifestyle. Do not overlook how Jehovah has blessed your efforts up till now. He might have enabled you to conduct a new Bible study or helped you to receive “the peace of God that excels all thought.” (Phil. 4:7) As you thus focus on benefits that you personally have received from following Jehovah’s instructions, you will increase your appreciation for patience. (Ps. 34:8) And as your faith grows, it will become easier to wait for the blessings we know will come.—Jas. 5:7, 8w12 9/15 3:11-13

Thursday, July 10

The peace of God that excels all thought will guard your hearts and your mentalpowers by means of Christ Jesus.—Phil. 4:7.

Christian courage is not self-reliance. Rather, it is a result of our getting to know God and relying on him. We can do this by studying his written Word, the Bible. Also, prayer can help in all kinds of situations. Do we take full advantage of this avenue of help to gain strength in the midst of adversities? Other vital provisions are association at meetings and keeping active in the Kingdom-preaching work. (1 Tim. 4:16) Many have found that by helping others to build faith in Jehovah, they strengthen their own faith. In so doing, they keep their mind off their own problems and keep focused on the more important things. (Phil. 1:10, 11) Jehovah has provided abundant help to meet today’s adversities with courage. By taking advantage of all these provisions, we can face difficulties successfully.—2 Cor. 4:17, 18w12 10/15 1:16-21

Friday, July 11

Deaden, therefore, your body members that are upon the earth as respects fornication, uncleanness, 

sexual appetite, hurtful desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.—Col. 3:5.

Although David was exemplary in many ways, he committed several serious sins. (2 Sam. 11:2-4, 14, 15, 22-27; 1 Chron. 21:1, 7) Over the course of his life, however, David proved repentant when he sinned. He walked before God “with integrity of heart.” (1 Ki. 9:4) Why can we say that? Because David tried to act in accord with Jehovah’s will. Despite our imperfection, we can remain in Jehovah’s favor. With that objective in mind, let us study God’s Word diligently, meditate deeply on what we learn from it, and act decisively on what we store in our heart. In effect, we will then be praying to Jehovah like the psalmist who made this humble request: “Teach me to do your will, for you are my God.”—Ps. 143:10w12 11/15 1:17-19

Saturday, July 12

The dragon grew wrathful at the woman, and went off to wage war with the remaining ones of her seed, who observe the commandments of God.—Rev.12:17.

Imagine this: You are testifying in court against a global criminal organization. Its leader is a very intelligent, powerful, and ruthless liar and murderer. How would you feel when you stepped outside the court at day’s end? Safe? Hardly! Indeed, you would have good reason for requesting protection. This scenario illustrates the situation of Jehovah’s servants, who boldly testify for Jehovah and fearlessly expose his vicious archenemy, Satan! But has Satan been able to silence God’s people? No! In fact, we continue to thrive spiritually—a reality that can have only one explanation: Jehovah is still our refuge, “a real dwelling” for us, especially during these last days. (Ps. 90:1; Isa. 54:14, 17) That said, however, Jehovah cannot be a secure dwelling for us if we allow Satan to lure us away from our dwelling place. w13 3/15 4:10

Sunday, July 13

What is looked for in stewards is for a man to be found faithful.—1 Cor. 4:2.

Our being truly successful does not depend on our achievements or position in the eyes of the world. Moreover, true success is not measured by having a certain responsibility in the Christian arrangement. Such a blessing, though, can be related to what truly is the basis for success, our obedience and faithfulness to God. And we must endure in being faithful. Jesus said: “He that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved.” (Matt. 10:22) Would you not agree that being saved is an undeniable evidence of success? Strive to be faithful whatever your circumstances are. It is worth the effort. Be confident that Jehovah will bless you richly—now and throughout eternity. Never forget the words that Jesus directed to anointed Christians: “Prove yourself faithful even to death, and I will give you the crown of life.” (Rev. 2:10) That indeed is real success! w1212/15 1:17, 19

Monday, July 14

They buried [Jehoiadain the City of David along with the kings, because he haddone good in Israel and with the true God and His house.—2 Chron. 24:16.

Our courage and faith are strengthened when we see that God is with those who put his interests and the welfare of fellow believers ahead of their own concerns. For example, consider High Priest Jehoiada and his wife, Jehosheba. After King Ahaziah died, Athaliah, his mother, killed the remaining royal offspring except Jehoash and seized the throne. Jehoiada and Jehosheba had taken the risk of rescuing Ahaziah’s son Jehoash and had kept him hidden for six years. In the seventh year, Jehoiada had Jehoash proclaimed king and had Athaliah put to death. (2 Ki. 11:1-16) Jehoiada later supported King Jehoash in repairing the temple. And when Jehoiada died at 130 years of age, he was buried with the kings. Moreover, the courageous deeds of Jehoiada and his wife preserved the royal line from David to the Messiah. w13 1/15 1:11

Tuesday, July 15

Just like Nimrod a mighty hunter in opposition to Jehovah.—Gen. 10:9.

Nimrod’s domain included Babel and other cities between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. (Gen. 10:10) It was possibly under his direction that the building of Babel and its tower began about 2269 B.C.E. Contrary to Jehovah’s will that mankind spread throughout the earth, those builders said: “Come on! Let us build ourselves a city and also a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a celebrated name for ourselves, for fear we may be scattered over all the surface of the earth.” But that scheme had to be abandoned when God “confused the language of all the earth” and scattered the would-be tower builders. (Gen. 11:1-4, 8, 9) If Satan had thus planned to start one religion with everyone worshipping him, his plot was an utter failure. Throughout human history, the worship of Jehovah has prevailed and is gaining momentum with each passing day. w13 2/15 1:19, 20