JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2014

Thursday, June 12

Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need.—Matt. 5:3.

If you are a parent, think about how your example affects your children. What do they see as being most important to you—your career or your friendship with Jehovah? If they see that status, prestige, and wealth have first place in your life, might they follow you on such a disastrous path? Could they lose a measure of respect for you as a parent? One young Christian states: “My father works and works, and then he brings home luxuries rather than necessities. As a result, we’re known as the family that has a lot of money rather than as the family that encourages others in spiritual pursuits. I would take my father’s spiritual support over his money any day.” Parents, do not distance yourself from Jehovah by putting too much emphasis on your career. By your example, show your children that you truly believe that the greatest wealth we can possess is spiritual, not material. w13 1/15 2:8, 9

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Friday, June 13

No man can come to me unless the Father, who sent me, draws him.—John 6:44.

When you began associating with the Christian congregation, you did not join some sort of social club. Rather, you came into the congregation because Jehovah drew you. What moved him to do so? Did he see a righteous, God-fearing person? “Not at all!” you may say. What, then, did God see? He saw a heart that would be receptive to his liberating law, a heart that would submit to his kind influence. Within the congregation, Jehovah has nurtured your heart by feeding you spiritually, setting you free from religious falsehoods and superstitions, and by teaching you how to develop the Christlike personality. (Eph. 4:22-24) As a result, you have the privilege of being among the only people in the world who can rightly be called “a free people.” (Jas. 2:12) The freedom that you enjoy now among God’s people is just a foretaste of the freedom that lies ahead. w127/15 1:15, 16

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Saturday, June 14

I have made your name known.—John 17:26.

From his childhood on, Jesus left us a pattern of humility. Although he was raised by imperfect parents—Joseph and Mary—Jesus humbly “continued subject to them.” (Luke 2:51) As an adult, Jesus showed humility by giving priority to the doing of Jehovah’s will, not his own. (John 4:34) During his ministry, Jesus Christ used God’s personal name and helped sincere people to gain an accurate knowledge of Jehovah’s attributes and His purpose for mankind. Jesus also lived in harmony with what he taught about Jehovah. In the model prayer, for example, the first point Jesus mentioned was: “Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.” (Matt. 6:9) Jesus thus instructed his followers to make the sanctification of Jehovah’s name a matter of prime concern. Moreover, throughout his ministry Jesus gave Jehovah the credit for what he accomplished on earth.—John 5:19w12 11/15 2:7, 8

Sunday, June 15

[Jesussat down at the right hand of God, from then on awaiting until his enemies should be placed as a stool 

for his feet.—Heb. 10:12, 13.

After his resurrection, Jesus received authority in heaven and on earth. (Matt. 28:18) He uses that authority to accomplish Jehovah’s purpose according to the timetable God has set. Jesus patiently waited at God’s right hand until 1914 for his enemies to be placed as a stool for his feet. (Ps. 110:1, 2) He soon will go into action to bring an end to Satan’s system. Meanwhile, Jesus patiently works with people and leads them to “waters of life.” (Rev. 7:17) Do you see in Jesus’ example the way you should view Jehovah’s timetable? Jesus was no doubt eager to do whatever his Father asked of him; still, he was willing to wait for God’s time. As we await the end of Satan’s wicked system, we all need godly patience, never running ahead of God or giving up because we are discouraged. w12 9/15 3:9, 10

Edited by GrumpysWife

Monday, June 16

You received free, give free.—Matt. 10:8.

“The true knowledge” has become abundant through the printed word. (Dan. 12:4TheWatchtower is now published in 195 languages. It is the most widely circulated magazine on earth, with a circulation of 42,182,000 copies each issue. In second place is its companion magazine Awake! with a circulation of 41,042,000 in 84 languages. Additionally, about 100 million books and Bibles are printed each year. This mammoth work is financed by means of voluntary donations. That alone is staggering to those in the printing industry who understand the cost of presses, paper, ink, and other materials. A brother who is involved in global purchasing said: “Business people who visit our printeries are amazed that such a technologically advanced, high-production facility can be financed by voluntary donations. They are equally impressed that our Bethel workforce is so young and happy.” w12 8/15 1:14, 15

Tuesday, June 17

I know you by name.—Ex. 33:17.

Many of our brothers and sisters say that their joy is enhanced when elders show personal interest in them. One basic way in which elders do so is by following the example set by David, Elihu, and Jesus himself. (2 Sam. 9:6; Job 33:1; Luke 19:5) Each of these servants of Jehovah showed sincere interest in another person by using the individual’s name. Paul too appreciated the importance of remembering and using the names of fellow believers. He concluded one of his letters by greeting more than 25 brothers and sisters by name. (Rom. 16:3-15) Some elders have a hard time remembering names. Still, when they make a real effort to do so, they are, in effect, telling their fellow believers, ‘You are important to me.’ Elders will particularly add to their brothers’ joy when they remember their names as they call on them for comments during the Watchtower Study or other meetings.—Compare John 10:3w13 1/15 5:6, 7

Bea shared a CO's talk on "Jesus' Relatives" that opened up my mind to new thoughts about how Jehovah and Jesus view us. Two of his disciples (fleshly brothers) were nicknamed: Sons of Thunder.

The question the CO asked was: does Jehovah know you well enough that you have a "nickname"? Jehovah takes such a personal interest in ALL of us....there are millions of humans who loved and who love him....but just like the stars, he knows every one of us by name.

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

Wednesday, June 18

He that conducts himself as a lesser one . . . is the one that is great.—Luke 9:48.

A humble person has heartfelt gratitude for Jehovah’s provisions, including spiritual food. Hence, such an individual is a diligent student of the Bible and an avid reader of theWatchtower and Awake! magazines. When we manifest humble appreciation by reading and studying our Bible-based publications, we make spiritual advancement, and Jehovah is able to use us more fully in his service. (Heb. 5:13, 14) He who conducts himself as a lesser one is “great” in another way. Every congregation has qualified men appointed under the guidance of Jehovah’s holy spirit to serve as elders. They make arrangements for such spiritual matters as congregation meetings, field service, and shepherding. When we manifest the attitude of a lesser one by willingly supporting these arrangements, we contribute to the joy, peace, and unity of the congregation.—Heb. 13:7, 17w12 11/15 3:9, 10

Thursday, June 19

I am not alone, because the Father is with me.—John 16:32.

Jesus acknowledged that there would be problems during the time of his presence, but he said: “Do not be terrified.” (Luke 21:9) With him as our King and with the Creator of the universe backing us up, we have every reason for confidence. Note some expressions of the strong conviction of God’s servants. David said: “Jehovah is my strength and my shield. In him my heart has trusted, and I have been helped, so that my heart exults.” (Ps. 28:7) Paul expressed his unwavering confidence, saying: “In all these things we are coming off completely victorious through him that loved us.” (Rom. 8:37) What is evident in these expressions? Each reveals unwavering trust in Jehovah. Our developing similar confidence in God can give us the courage to face any of today’s adversities.—Ps. 46:1-3w12 10/15 1:14, 15

Friday, June 20

Stop storing up for yourselves treasures upon the earth.—Matt. 6:19.

Some religious leaders have preached that it is wrong to strive after success and that all effort to succeed should be stifled. Note, though, that Jesus was not condemning all such effort. Rather, he was exhorting his disciples to redirect their effort, admonishing them to store up imperishable “treasures in heaven.” (Matt. 6:20) Our foremost desire should be to strive to be a success as Jehovah would view it. Yes, Jesus’ words remind us that we have a choice as to what we will pursue. The fact is, though, that we will pursue what is in our heart, what is of value to us. If it is in our heart to please Jehovah, we can trust that he will see to it that we have the things we need. Referring to our material needs, Jesus assured us: “Keep on . . . seeking first the kingdom and his righteousness, and all these other things will be added to you.”—Matt. 6:31-33w12 12/15 1:13, 15, 16

A few days ago I was invited to a Mary Kay gathering. One of the higher sellers came as a motivational speaker. Everything was about money....how much money you could make, how to get way up there and be influential in the company, drive a pink Cadillac etc... Today's text reminded me of just how easy it would be to get caught up in the world's view of being prominent and making money. Yes in today's world we do need some money to survive, make a living but putting our focus on spiritual things is what makes us rich in Jehovah's eyes! Isn't it amazing how Jehovah knew that our being focused on spiritual things is what really makes us happy not money or other riches? Thanks for sharing the daily text on here.....reminds me to read it daily! :)

Saturday, June 21

No man can come to me unless the Father, who sent me, draws him.—John 6:44.

How does Jehovah draw sheeplike ones to his Son? Through the preaching of the good news and the operation of holy spirit. If you are a dedicated Christian, you too were drawn by God to true worship. Just as our heavenly Father saw something valuable in the heart of Lydia, he saw something good in you. When you began listening to the good news, Jehovah helped you to grasp it by supplying holy spirit. (Acts 16:13-15; 1 Cor. 2:11, 12) When you endeavored to apply what you learned, he blessed your efforts to do his will. When you dedicated your life to him, his heart rejoiced. Indeed, ever since you started on the road to life, Jehovah has been with you each step of the way. Having helped us to begin walking with him, Jehovah does not now leave us to our own devices to remain faithful. He knows that just as we did not come into the truth on our own, we will not stay in the truth on our own.—1 Pet. 1:4, 5w12 4/15 5:5-7

V, I was thinking about this today. My husband's father died this last week, I've only met him 8 times in 33 years of marriage so not a close relationship, but death still affects us no matter what. We were having our evening gab session tonight and I asked him how he could not be drawn to the truth when death is the eventual outcome. Nothing else, no future, no nothing. How could he not want to know the real future promised to all of us if we just learn abut Jah and his purposes and simply do as he asks. Easy. 

It amazes me how some don't see the beauty offered to them. Shocks me actually.

Then to know how much Jehovah adds to our lives every day is incredible. 

I really want the end to this system, I'm getting weary. Wearier. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

This scripture always gives me comfort when I start to feel unworthy. Jehovah sees us and then if he sees potential, he calls us. That tells me he does see something in me that is worthy as long as I stay faithful.

Sunday, June 22

When seventy years have been fulfilled I shall call to account against the king of Babylon and against    that nation . . . their error.—Jer. 25:12.

“In the fourth year of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah, the king of Judah,” the word of Jehovah “occurred to Jeremiah concerning all the people of Judah.” (Jer. 25:1) Jehovah foretold the devastation of Jerusalem and the deportation of the Jews from the land of Judah to Babylon. There they would “serve the king of Babylon seventy years.” Babylonian armies destroyed Jerusalem in 607 B.C.E., and Jews from Judah were indeed deported to Babylon. But what was to happen at the end of 70 years? Jeremiah prophesied: “This is what Jehovah has said, ‘In accord with the fulfilling of seventy years at Babylon I shall turn my attention to you people, and I will establish toward you my good word in bringing you back to this place.’” (Jer. 25:11; 29:10) This prophecy was fulfilled right on time—in 537 B.C.E. w12 5/15 3:7

Monday, June 23

I was making greater progress in Judaism than many of my own age.—Gal. 1:14.

Before Paul’s conversion to Christianity, he had what seemed to be a promising future. He had studied Jewish law with one of the most famous teachers of his day. He had received authority from the Jewish high priest. (Acts 9:1, 2; 22:3; 26:10) Yet, all of that changed when Paul realized that Jehovah was no longer blessing the Jews as a nation. Paul recognized that a career in the Jewish system had no value from Jehovah’s point of view; it had no future. (Matt. 24:2) This former Pharisee went so far as to say that compared with his new, enlightened understanding of God’s purposes and the privilege of the Christian ministry, what he once thought was important he now considered to be “a lot of refuse.” Paul abandoned his pursuits in Judaism and dedicated the rest of his days on earth to preaching the good news.—Phil. 3:4-8, 15; Acts 9:15w12 6/15 3:10, 11

I looked up the word "refuse" in Strong's Concordance and it comes from the Greek 'skybalon' which means "what is thrown to the dogs." But, what I thought was really interesting is that this isn't just a term for something for which we have a mild dislike. Strong's also includes the word 'ordure' in its definition. Ordure means "something regarded as vile or abhorrent." So Paul wasn't just suggesting his past education and privileges were a waste of time, he found them vile and abhorrent! Paul's most intense feelings were no doubt regarding the false religious teachings of the Jews, rather than education and privileges in general, but this has made me revaluate my attitude towards the things this system has to offer.

Edited by niall

Tuesday, June 24

One thing I have asked from Jehovah— . . . that I may dwell in the house of Jehovah all the days of my life.—Ps. 27:4.

Jesus revealed that rendering acceptable worship to Jehovah would no longer be contingent on having one grand structure that was blessed by God. (John 4:21-23) The apostle Paul indicated in Hebrews chapters 8 to 10 that a great spiritual temple came into existence at Jesus’ baptism in 29 C.E., when he presented himself to do Jehovah’s will. (Heb. 10:10) This great spiritual temple is the arrangement Jehovah has made so that we, through our faith in Jesus’ ransom sacrifice, can approach God acceptably. How do we worship there? By praying “with true hearts in the full assurance of faith”; by declaring our hope publicly without wavering; and by considering, inciting, and encouraging fellow worshippers at our congregation meetings and during family worship. (Heb. 10:22-25) Appreciation for the arrangement of true worship fortifies us in these critical last days. w12 7/15 3:7

Wednesday, June 25

Is it for nothing that Job has feared God?—Job 1:9.

When we hear that a brother is reaching out for some privilege of service, do we readily believe that his motives are pure, or do we suspect that he is driven by self-interest? If we have a tendency to be cynical, it is good to remember that the Devil questioned the motives of God’s faithful servant Job. (Job 1:10, 11) Rather than being suspicious of our brother, we would do well to consider why we are critical of him. Do we really have good reason for being that way? Or has our heart been poisoned by the unloving spirit so prevalent during these last days? (2 Tim. 3:1-4) Another reason why we might be critical of others is that we desire to make our own accomplishments more noticeable. In effect, we may be attempting to look taller by pushing others down. Or we may be trying to excuse our own failure to take positive action. Whether pride, envy, or insecurity is driving us, the result is destructive. w12 8/15 3:5, 6

Thursday, June 26

The path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is  firmly established.—Prov. 4:18.

In the modern history of Jehovah’s people, there have been landmark conventions—events that marked major developments in theocratic activities or Scriptural understanding. The first major convention that the Bible Students held after World War I was in 1919 in Cedar Point, Ohio, U.S.A. That gathering, attended by some 7,000, was marked by the launching of a global preaching campaign. In 1922, during a nine-day convention at the same location, dramatic impetus was given to this activity by Joseph F. Rutherford, who told his attentive audience: “The world must know that Jehovah is God and that Jesus Christ is King of kings and Lord of lords. . . . Therefore advertise,advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.” Attendees, and indeed God’s people worldwide, joyfully embraced that exhortation. w12 9/15 5:6

I think some of us are bewildered by the speed at which the organization is on the move. I have been going to conventions since 1980 and have never missed a large gathering. I remember one at which Brother Franz gave a talk. I remember a number of ones which involved resolutions. Certainly our Regional Conventions and International Conventions this year mark a milestone. Our new publication includes fine explanations of the illustration of the wheat and the weeds, and the understanding of the generation of Matthew 24:32-34. We should thank Jehovah that we are not steeped in tradition or weighed down by dogma or misled by charismatic leaders as so many religions are today. The loving motivation we receive to keep up with the celestial chariot keeps us sharp and motivates us to share the Good News.

-Dave

Reading that and thinking: 9 day conventions!  And if I am not mistaken they went from like 9am to 9pm!!  WOW!  What a banquet of spiritual food that would have been.  Would have been tiring but a good tired.  Good lesson for some today that complain about just a 3-day convention.

Friday, June 27

Man’s wrath does not work out God’s righteousness.—Jas. 1:20.

When you are very angry, giving yourself time to calm down and view the situation more dispassionately may help you to avoid responding in an unforgiving way that you may later regret. (Ps. 4:4; Prov. 14:29; Jas. 1:19) What, though, if a negative emotion persists? Try to determine why you are upset. Is it because you have been treated unfairly, perhaps discourteously? Or is it because you feel that the other person deliberately attempted to hurt you? Was his or her action really so bad? Analyzing and understanding the reason for your reaction will allow you to consider what would be the best and Scripturally proper response. (Prov. 15:28; 17:27) By adopting such an approach, difficult though it may be, you permit God’s word to examine the “thoughts and intentions of [your] heart” and guide you in imitating Jehovah’s forgiving attitude.—Heb. 4:12w12 11/15 5:7, 8