JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2014

Interesting comment about this verse. Many translations read, "he was a mighty hunter before the Lord. (That is why it is said, “Like Nimrod, a mighty hunter before the Lord.”)"

They make it sound like Jehovah approved of his hunting. In fact, look at this footnote in The Net Bible.

32 The Hebrew word for “hunt” is צַיִד (tsayid), which is used on occasion for hunting men (1 Sam 24:12; Jer 16:16; Lam 3:15).

33tn Another option is to take the divine name here, לִפְנֵי יִהוָה (lifne yÿhvah, “before the Lord [YHWH]”), as a means of expressing the superlative degree. In this case one may translate “Nimrod was the greatest hunter in the world.”

A superlative hunter? :eek:

Aren't we glad for the New World translation in its accurate rending and helping us to understand God's word clearly.

Also, we need to be careful that we don't idolize "men of fame" sports figures with that are outstanding in their sport.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wednesday, July 16

I have run the course to the finish.—2 Tim. 4:7.

Are you determined to “run the course to the finish”? Then personal study is a must. Use the Bible and our theocratic publications to help you do research, meditate, and identify potential stumbling blocks. Beg for holy spirit to give you the spiritual stamina you need. Remember, no runner is doomed to fail in the race for life just because he stumbles or falls on occasion. He can get up and get back into the race. He may even use potential stumbling stones as stepping stones, learning valuable lessons from any challenge to his faith. The Bible describes participation in the race for everlasting life as active, not passive. It is not like getting on a bus that simply carries those on board to victory. We must run the race for life ourselves. As we do, we can be confident of Jehovah’s continued blessings now and unending blessings to come for all who finish the race.—Jas. 1:12w13 3/15 1:20, 21

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Vernalee I know I'm a day late, but I enjoyed this text - and the accompanying explanation.   I'd also forgotten that Noah was still alive when the building began, as was Shem.    They must've been appalled at what was going on - they both lived for several hundred years after the language was confused.   They would've remembered what life was like before the flood, and here was a similar situation happening all over again.   It's going to be interesting chatting to them in the new system.   

This implies that Paul's death was imminent. What went through his mind knowing this? We don't often focus on our own death, but it is good for us to do on occasion. Anything can happen at any time - not just old age.

Would we be in a position to have the confidence that Paul had - if it came soon?

Verse 13 of this same chapter, what does he ask for? Biblical scrolls. Still focused on the reading of God's word and completing his ministry successfully.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Jehovah is so loving, 1 John 4:8. We have no excuse if we take the undeserved kindness of our God for granted and miss the mark. "Personal study is a must", "Pray for more holy spirit" to accomplish what ever we need help in obtaining. The path has been set for us to run the race with success personally. It's easy to say but hard to do but can be done. Never give up in this race.

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

Thursday, July 17

Keep on, then, seeking first the kingdom and his righteousness.—Matt. 6:33

Jesus told his listeners what specific action on their part would demonstrate their inner desire to serve Jehovah wholeheartedly. Indeed, by what we put first in our life, we make manifest what we are desiring, thinking, and planning deep down in our heart. Examining our priorities in life is thus a tangible way to check whether we are serving God with a complete heart. (1 Chron. 28:9) We have wisely accepted Jesus’ invitation to be his followers and are now serving Jehovah every day. In this way, we demonstrate how we feel in our heart about Jehovah. Yet, even though we are active in the congregation, we still need to be aware of a potential risk to our heart condition. What is it? Jesus revealed that danger, saying: “No man that has put his hand to a plow and looks at the things behind is well fitted for the kingdom of God.”—Luke 9:62.w12 4/15 3:8, 10

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

Thank you for sharing Annie, this morning I read it before I left home, it's great!

Specially the warning of "put his hand to a plow and looks at the things behind" is big potential risk, expecially sometimes when we are in a adversity it may happen. May Jehovah examine me, and put me to the test, refine my kidneys and my heart every day, so that I will always follow his way!

Friday, July 18

To the married people I give instructions, yet not I but the Lord.—1 7:10

When Christians get married, they make a vow before God—a responsibility not to be taken lightly. (Eccl. 5:4-6) In the sense that he is the Originator of the marital arrangement, Jehovah has “yoked together” those united in wedlock. (Mark 10:9) This yoke exists in God’s sight regardless of the laws that sanctioned the wedding. Servants of Jehovah should view marriage as a binding arrangement whether they were his worshippers at the time of their wedding or not. When a Christian’s marriage succeeds, it is a joy and brings honor to Jehovah. If it fails, it is a heartache at best. An unmarried Christian who is contemplating wedlock is in a position to get marriage off to a fine start by following God’s guidance. On the other hand, a person who makes an unwise decision when choosing a husband or a wife may experience dissatisfaction and grief. w12 5/15 2:1, 3

"An unmarried Christian who is contemplating wedlock is in a position to get marriage off to a fine start by following God’s guidance. On the other hand, a person who makes an unwise decision when choosing a husband or a wife may experience dissatisfaction and grief."

This is always timing and good reminding for unmarried Christian, especially for our cong. where have more sisters and much less brothers(or in other congs. happen oppositely?). LOL.  Yesterday evening I had study with one of my students, in fact, yesterday was not really study, but helping her out from her big pressure from her family with Jehovah's words, she told that" before I did not understand why Jehovah doesn't allow his people to marry from outside people, now I understand completely".  

“Don not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers", that's it!

I loved a brother's illustration in his talk, he talked about oxen who pulled a plow.  When these animals are similar in size, they carry the yoke evenly across each others back, and both make a formidable team.  However, if you were to switch out one of the oxen for a donkey.......the little donkey isn't nearly the same size, it can't be expected to pull the same weight, and as a result it tires/gives out, or even dies.   :(

The other one is then burdened with the full load of the yoke, and it too suffers.  So both suffer.  Although I wasn't a baptized servant of Jehovah when I married, my husband and I were very different spiritually speaking and I have experienced the trueness of the words in this article.  

Here I am, I have been aux pioneering with a goal to pioneer.  I would like to attend the school for kingdom evangelizers, I would like to move where the need is greater (I'm still kinda young), and I would like to have someone I could bounce spiritual things off of, but nope, these things are not an option for me, because I'm not married to someone who shares my goals.  

When there's something particularly impressive about our conventions, our meetings, or in our articles and I'm brimming with appreciation for Jehovah, there's no one to share that with.  No one to have that interchange of encouragement with.  It's a lonely place to be in spiritually speaking, even though my physical, mental and emotional needs are cared for quite well.   

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

There is a couple at our hall who are getting married tonight! How wonderful that they start the day with this text of all texts! Both their mates threw them away like trash for worldly people they met on social sites(and each have 3 children). They were both willing to take on the responsibility of 3 more children! They have both put Jehovah first through all their trials and subsequenet divorces and we are all so happy to see them find each other and be happy serving Jehovah together!

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Saturday, July 19

Follow his steps closely.—1Pet. 2:21

The greatest of all of Jehovah’s dedicated servants is Jesus. After being baptized, Jesus devoted the rest of his life on earth to preaching the good news and honoring Jehovah. The obvious conclusion for a Christian who recognizes Jehovah as his Master is that serving Him should have priority in his life. Is it yours? (Ps. 71:15; 145:2) Over the years, Jehovah’s organization has repeatedly encouraged Christians to consider prayerfully whether they could pioneer. For various reasons, the circumstances of some faithful servants of Jehovah do not allow them to devote themselves to the preaching work an average of 70 hours per month. They should not feel bad about this. (1 Tim. 5:8) But what about you? Have you seriously considered entering the regular pioneer ranks? By pursuing a theocratic career, you will be pursuing truly worthwhile and lasting goals. And you will be following Jesus’ perfect example. w12 6/15 3:12, 13, 15

Sunday, July 20

In case my own father and my own mother did leave me, even Jehovah himself take me up.—Ps. 27:10

Since Jehovah is ready to support his servants when others desert them, would he not also sustain them during any other sort of tribulation? If, for instance, we are concerned about how to provide materially for our family, can we not be certain that Jehovah will help us? (Heb. 13:5, 6) He understands the circumstances and needs of all his loyal servants. Jehovah has promised to help, protect, and deliver his people, as a group, physically and spiritually, and we trust in him. (Ps. 37:28; 91:1-3) The crowd that survive “the great tribulation” must indeed be great. (Rev. 7:9, 14) Thus that crowd, as a group, will be shielded from extinction throughout the remainder of the last days. They will be supplied with everything they need to endure trials and to safeguard their relationship with Jehovah. w12 7/15 3:9, 10, 14

Monday, July 21

Trembling at men is what lays a snare.—Prov. 29:25

The Roman Governor Pontius Pilate knew that Jesus was an innocent man and apparently did not want to harm him. In fact, Pilate said that Jesus had done “nothing deserving of death.” Nevertheless, Pilate condemned him to death. Why? Because Pilate succumbed to pressure from the mob. (Luke 23:15, 21-25) “If you release this man, you are not a friend of Caesar,” cried those opposers, thus applying pressure in order to get their way. (John 19:12) Pilate may have feared that he would lose his position—or possibly his life—if he sided with Christ. So he allowed himself to be led into doing the Devil’s will. Pilate had little knowledge about Christ. Still, he knew that Jesus was innocent and was no ordinary man. But Pilate lacked humility and love for the true God. The Devil easily caught him alive. w12 8/15 3:8, 9, 12

I Wonder if Pilate remembered Jesus... did he hear of the Christians preaching in the temple?  Did he regret his decision or fear what he had done?  I think the lesson to do the right thing, no matter what, because among other things, you always remember your bad décisions.  Regrets are a very heavy load to carry.

1951 w - fear is the expression of selfishness. Not ALL fear (see fear of God or fearing for family's safety or fear for our safety/ heights) example new bethelite asked - afraid of heights? The ones who said no, wouldn't be put on scaffold crew, but yes would. Why? We knew those with that healthy fear would stay in harness and always we tied off as supposed to, but others may not. :eek: healthy fear.

But " fear of man" is not healthy. Is. 8:13 "Jah is who we should fear and cause tremble". Jah is Holy and He sets the standards so we obey Him. Would it bother us to be considered: uneducated, confused, deceived or fanatics? Fear of that stop us from witnessing? That may have creeped in - natural to want approval of others, but this world will never approve of Gods approval. Interesting we hear at conventions how they like us, but that is not going to last.

1 Cor 1:26 & 27 "foolish of world and weak". Jehovah selected us and made us His witnesses. So, see ourselves as He does. We know who we should fear.

Soon .....

Tuesday, July 22

He will bruise you in the head.—Gen. 3:15.

The apostle John reports what will happen to Satan. Jesus Christ—the “angel . . . with the key of the abyss”—will seize Satan and his demons, hurl them into the abyss, and keep them there for a thousand years. (Rev. 20:1-3; Luke 8:30, 31; 1 John 3:8) That action constitutes the initial stage of the bruising of the serpent’s head. What is “the abyss” into which Satan and the demons will be hurled? The Greek word a′bys·sos used by John means “very or exceedingly deep.” It is also translated “unfathomable, boundless,” and “the infinite void.” Thus, it is a place completely out of reach of anyone except Jehovah and his appointed angel “with the key of the abyss.” There, Satan will be in a state of deathlike inactivity so that “he might not mislead the nations anymore.” Truly, that “roaring lion” will be silenced!—1 Pet. 5:8.w12 9/15 1:15, 16

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Abyssing is first part of crushing and after 1,000 years destruction is the end, but look at what happens in between.

The earth is turned into a paradise. Humans to perfection (Rev 20:5), but then something completely surprising happens - Satan is let out :eek: Now even more surprising - an unnumbered amount of humans follow him. (Rev 20:7-9).

Now these aren't "wicked" ones as we understand any who disrupt the peace and harmony during the 1,000 years are destroyed immediately. So, these mist be ones who went along with the laws / rules and were living at peace. What could make someone (a perfect someone) change. We know Adam, Eve angels were perfect an changed - what caused that - it started as wrong desires in the mind.

The Bible doesn't tell us what desires are issues that cause this change from peaceful to rebels bent on DESTROYING God fearing peaceful people. Perhaps some resentment over their work assignment or where they were assigned to live or some disagreement with the human representatives (the chieftain cllass) or feeling they were overlooked for some privileges. We don't know for sure, but it does seem like the same issues tend to come up repeatedly.

Computers now aren't perfect nor is the software. Things go out or overheat, software glitches and they crash at the worst time. Imagine a perfect PC with perfect software, what could go wrong? A person could install bad software or allow a virus to be installed. So even perfect there is till need for caution.

With humans how is this possible? Well clearly some issue was just ignored, it was never dealt with. The person said, "I am not going to deal with it - I'll just push it aside in my mind and hope it goes away." Well, we know what happens - it doesn't "go away" it comes back. So, now is the time to deal with and address these issues - get help and overcome them - don't just ignore them.

It is interesting to meditate and ask yourself, "could I become one of those rebels? What should I address now to prevent that? Look at that picture in the Rev Climax book (page 292) where do you see yourself?

Soon .....