JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2014

Thursday, August 7

Keep strict watch that how you walk is not as unwise but as wise persons, buying out the opportune   time.—Eph. 5:15, 16.

“Buying out the opportune time” is not easy in a world full of distractions. “Just as the days of Noah were,” warned Jesus, “so the presence of the Son of man will be.” How were the days of Noah? It had been foretold that the world of that time would come to an end. At that time, wicked humans would drown in the waters of a global deluge. As “a preacher of righteousness,” Noah faithfully declared God’s message to the people of his day. (Matt. 24:37; 2 Pet. 2:5) But they were “eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, . . . and they took no note until the flood came and swept them all away.” Jesus therefore warned his followers: “Prove yourselves ready, because at an hour that you do not think to be it, the Son of man is coming.” (Matt. 24:38, 39, 44) We must prove to be like Noah, not like the people of his day. w12 5/15 3:11, 12

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Friday, August 8

I do repent in dust and ashes.—Job 42:6.

Some have the tendency to let past failings overwhelm them to the point that they feel that they are unworthy in God’s eyes. They may feel beyond the reach of God’s mercy because they strayed off course either so far or so often. The fact is, though, that no matter what they may have done in the past, they can repent, change, and ask for forgiveness. (Acts 3:19) Jehovah’s mercy and loving-kindness can be extended to them, even as it has been to so many others. We all must follow the divine formula for acquiring peace of mind: “He that is covering over his transgressions will not succeed, but he that is confessing and leaving them will be shown mercy.” (Prov. 28:13; Jas. 5:14-16) Thus, we can confess to God, pray for his forgiveness, and take steps to right the wrong. (2 Cor. 7:10, 11) If we have done these things, then we can enjoy the mercy of the One who ‘forgives in a large way.’—Isa. 55:7w13 1/15 4:11

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Saturday, August 9

His power must become mighty.—Dan. 8:24.

We can identify the seventh head of the wild beast of Revelation chapter 13 by comparing John’s vision with Daniel’s vision of the frightening ten-horned beast. (Dan. 7:7, 8, 23, 24) The beast that Daniel saw represented the Roman World Power. In the fifth century C.E., the Roman Empire began to fragment. The ten horns sprouting from the head of that fearsome beast represent kingdoms that grew out of that empire. By the mid-18th century, Britain was on its way to become the dominant power on the world scene. Though Britain gained dominance, colonies in North America broke away. By the time the Lord’s day began in 1914, Britain had built the largest empire in history and the United States had become the greatest industrial power on earth. During World War I, the United States forged a special partnership with Britain. The seventh head of the beast had now emerged as the Anglo-American World Power. w12 6/15 2:3-5

Sunday, August 10

O God, you have taught me from my youth on, and until now I keep telling about your wonderful works.—Ps. 71:17.

We are grateful that we do not wander in darkness but enjoy spiritual light from God. (Prov. 4:18, 19) So let us diligently study God’s Word and zealously share the truth with others. As Jehovah’s dedicated people, we recognize the related issues of divine sovereignty and human integrity. Indeed, we proclaim the undeniable truth that Jehovah is the Universal Sovereign, worthy of our wholehearted devotion. (Rev. 4:11) With his spirit upon us, we also declare good news to the meek, bind up the brokenhearted, and comfort those who mourn. (Isa. 61:1, 2) Despite Satan’s futile attempts to dominate God’s people and all mankind, we deeply appreciate our spiritual heritage and are determined to maintain our integrity to God and laud the Sovereign Lord Jehovah now and forever.—Ps. 26:11; 86:12w13 2/15 2:19, 20

Monday, August 11

They will no more teach each one his companion and each one his brother,saying, “Know Jehovah!” for 

they will all of them know me, from the least one of them even to the greatest one of them.—Jer. 31:34.

Certainly, you should want to know Jehovah and to be part of his people. A prerequisite to receiving such benefits is having your sins forgiven on the basis of Christ’s ransom. The very fact that you can be forgiven should move you to be forgiving toward others, even those who might be the object of hard feelings. Your being willing to rid your heart of any ill will that you may have will be good for your heart. You will thus show not only that you want to serve Jehovah but also that you are coming to know him better. You will be like those of whom Jehovah said through Jeremiah: “You will actually seek me and find me, for you will search for me with all your heart. And I will let myself be found by you.”—Jer. 29:13, 14w13 3/15 2:18, 19

Tuesday, August 12

His commandments are not burdensome.—1 John 5:3.

Adam and Eve failed to appreciate their wonderful Life-Giver and the freedom that he had given them. Instead, they chose the illegitimate freedom offered by Satan, which was moral independence. But instead of finding more freedom, our original parents sold themselves and their future offspring into bondage to sin, with disastrous consequences. (Rom. 5:12) If Satan could induce two perfect humans—not to mention a number of spirit creatures—to reject God’s sovereignty, he could deceive us too. His strategy remains much the same. He tries to mislead us into thinking that God’s standards are burdensome and rob us of fun and excitement. That thinking can exert a lot of power if we are repeatedly exposed to it. “Bad association greatly influenced me, especially because I was afraid of having a different opinion from my peers,” said a 24-year-old sister who had engaged in sexual immorality. w12 7/15 2:2, 3

Wednesday, August 13

Behave in a manner worthy of the good news.—Phil. 1:27.

The Greek expression that Paul used for the word “behave” may also be rendered “carry on as citizens.” That phrase had special significance for the congregation in Philippi. Why? Because it seems that Philippi was one of a select group of cities where the inhabitants had been granted a form of Roman citizenship. Roman citizens in Philippi and throughout the Roman Empire were proud of their status and enjoyed special protection under Roman law. Members of the congregation in Philippi had greater reason for being proud. Paul reminded them that as anointed Christians their citizenship existed “in the heavens.” (Phil. 3:20) They were citizens, not of a mere human empire, but of God’s Kingdom. As such, they enjoyed unparalleled protection and benefits.—Eph. 2:19-22w12 8/15 2:1, 2

Thursday, August 14

Man has dominated man to his injury.—Eccl. 8:9.

During 6,000 years of human history, self-determination and self-rule have brought a tragic abundance of pain and suffering to mankind. What do we see today? Aside from wars and uprisings, there are the devastating problems of poverty, disease, destruction of the environment, climate change, and more. Government officials have warned that if we do not change our business-as-usual attitude, the outcome will be disastrous. Under the Messianic King Jesus Christ and his 144,000 corulers, God’s Kingdom will take progressive steps to undo all the damage done to humans and their home, the planet Earth. The Thousand Year Reign will bring about the fulfillment of the heartwarming promise by Jehovah God: “I am creating new heavens and a new earth; and the former things will not be called to mind, neither will they come up into the heart.”—Isa. 65:17.w12 9/15 2:2, 3

Friday, August 15

The undeserved kindness of the Lord Jesus Christ be with the spirit you people show.—Philem. 25.

When writing to fellow believers, the apostle Paul repeatedly expressed his hope that God and Christ would approve of the spirit that the congregations displayed. Thus, when Paul used expressions such as “the Lord be with the spirit you show,” he was encouraging his brothers to show a spirit in harmony with God’s will and the Christlike personality. (2 Tim. 4:22; Gal. 6:18; Col. 3:9-12) Today, we do well to ask ourselves: ‘What kind of spirit do I show? How can I more fully manifest a spirit that pleases God? Can I improve in contributing to the overall positive spirit of the congregation?’ To illustrate, in a field of sunflowers, each flower contributes its glowing face to the overall beauty of the flower patch. Are we one of the “flowers” that adds to the overall beauty of the congregation? Certainly, we should strive to be one. w12 10/15 2:1, 3

Saturday, August 16

I set the pattern for you, that, just as I did to you, you should do also.—John13:15.

It is the final night of Jesus’ life on earth, and he spends it with his apostles in the upper room of a house in Jerusalem. During the course of the evening meal, Jesus gets up and puts aside his outer garments. He girds himself with a towel. Then he puts water into a basin and begins to wash the feet of the disciples and to dry them off with the towel. He then puts on his outer garments. Why did Jesus perform this humble act? (John 13:3-5) Jesus himself explained: “Do you know what I have done to you? . . . If I, although Lord and Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash the feet of one another.” (John 13:12-14) By displaying a willingness to perform such a lowly task, Jesus gave his apostles an object lesson that would be deeply engraved on their minds and would encourage them to be humble in the days ahead. w12 11/15 2:1, 2

Sunday, August 17

You do not belong to yourselves.—1 Cor. 6:19.

Slavery evokes images of people oppressed and in bondage, whose work and sacrifices bring benefits, not to themselves, but to those who own and dominate them. Yet, Jesus indicated that his disciples would be humble servants, or slaves. There is nothing demeaning or oppressive, though, about this slavery involving true Christians. These slaves enjoy a position of honor, trust, and respect. Consider, for example, the comments Jesus made about one “slave” shortly before His death. Christ foretold that he would assign duties to a “faithful and discreet slave.” (Matt. 24:45-47) It is significant that in a parallel account, that slave is called a “steward.” (Luke 12:42-44) Most faithful Christians now alive are not among those who make up that “faithful steward.” However, the Scriptures show that all who serve God have a stewardship. w12 12/15 2:1-3

Monday, August 18

They would not . . . worship any god at all except their own God.—Dan. 3:28.

In the seventh century B.C.E., three Hebrew servants of Jehovah were given clear evidence that God rewards faith and courage. King Nebuchadnezzar assembled Babylon’s dignitaries and demanded that they worship a towering image of gold. Any who would not do so were to die in a fiery furnace. The three Hebrews respectfully told Nebuchadnezzar: “Our God whom we are serving is able to rescue us. Out of the burning fiery furnace and out of your hand, O king, he will rescue us. But if not, let it become known to you, O king, that your gods are not the ones we are serving, and the image of gold that you have set up we will not worship.” (Dan. 3:16-18) The thrilling rescue of the three Hebrews is vividly described at Daniel 3:19-30. Although we are not likely to be threatened with death in a fiery furnace, we do face tests of integrity and can be sure that God will bless us for our faith and courage. w13 1/15 1:13

Tuesday, August 19

“You are my witnesses,” is the utterance of Jehovah.—Isa. 43:12.

Our spiritual heritage includes the blessing of enjoying accurate knowledge of God’s Word and a clear understanding of the truth about him and his purposes. It also involves a very special privilege. That privilege became part of our spiritual legacy at our convention in Columbus, Ohio, U.S.A., in 1931. The letters “JW” appeared on the printed program. One sister said: “Speculations were made as to what JW stood for—Just Wait, Just Watch, and the correct one.” We had been called Bible Students, but we adopted the name Jehovah’s Witnesses by resolution on Sunday, July 26, 1931. It was a thrill to receive that Scriptural name. “I will never forget the tremendous shout and applause that vibrated through that meeting place,” recalled one brother. No one else in the world wanted that name, but God has blessed us in the use of it for over eight decades. What a special privilege it is to be Jehovah’s Witnesses! w13 2/15 1:4, 5

Wednesday, August 20

We all stumble many times.—Jas. 3:2.

Perhaps you have used the words “stumble” and “fall” interchangeably to describe a spiritual condition. These Bible expressions can, but do not always, have the same sense. For instance, notice the wording of Proverbs 24:16: “The righteous one may fall even seven times, and he will certainly get up; but the wicked ones will be made to stumble by calamity.” Jehovah will not allow those trusting in him to stumble or to experience a fall—an adversity or a setback in their worship—from which they cannotrecover. We are assured that Jehovah will help us “get up” so that we can continue giving him our utmost devotion. How comforting that is for all who love Jehovah deeply from the heart! For those ‘loving Jehovah’s law,’ no stumbling block exists that can permanently knock them out of the race for life.—Ps. 119:165w13 3/15 1:4-6

Thursday, August 21

No man that has put his hand to a plow and looks at the things behind is well fitted for the kingdom of 

God.—Luke 9:62.

It is commendable if we share regularly in such wholesome and satisfying activities as attending congregation meetings and participating in field service. But serving Jehovah with a complete heart involves more. (2 Chron. 25:1, 2, 27) If deep down in his heart a Christian continues to love “the things behind”—that is, certain aspects of the world’s way of life—he is in danger of losing his good standing with God. (Luke 17:32) Only if we truly “abhor what is wicked [and] cling to what is good” will we be “well fitted for the kingdom of God.” (Rom. 12:9) All of us, therefore, need to make sure that nothing in Satan’s world, no matter how useful or pleasant it may seem to be, holds us back from being wholehearted in caring for Kingdom interests.—2 Cor. 11:14; Phil. 3:13, 14w124/15 3:10, 13

Friday, August 22

Out of the depths I have called upon you, O Jehovah. O Jehovah, do hear myvoice. May your ears 

prove to be attentive to the voice of my entreaties.—Ps.130:1, 2.

Some youths begin dating when they are not ready for the responsibilities associated with married life. Certain individuals find a prospective mate on the Internet and rush into what proves to be a very unhappy marriage. Others commit a serious sin during courtship and marry anyway, but they may begin their married life with little respect for each other. Some Christians do not marry “only in the Lord” and suffer the often painful consequences of a religiously divided household. (1 Cor. 7:39) If that is your experience, pray for God’s forgiveness and help. He does not remove the effects of a person’s past errors, but he does assist repentant ones to cope with trials. Put your heart into pleasing him now and forever, and ‘the joy of Jehovah will be your stronghold.’—Neh. 8:10w125/15 2:3, 4

I love this text, all of it but especially the scripture. I'm trying to become more conscious to pour my heart out to Jehovah about everything...literally. It doesn't have to be a lot of words, Jehovah isn't impressed with that anyway. Rather, talk to him. Tell him your dreams, worries, appreciations, so forth. Even if we don't have everything we want right now (and who does), we, as Jehovah's people have a LOT presently. Oh, I'm not referring to material things for some friends are very, very poor materially. But spiritually? Friends, we are so RICH it's mind boggling! As a matter of fact, I was told of a brother who said that if we read our literature as we should, we'll have an education equivalent to a Bachelor's degree.

It's true. Think about it. There's no area, in this education Jehovah is giving us, that hasn't been dealt with...literally.

I love it! Yes, it gets hard at times. Nope, I'm wrong...it IS hard at times. But Jehovah has promised us that he'll be with us through it all...as long as we're loyal and faithful to him.

Opps, so I got off the topic of the text. Sorry.

Saturday, August 23

I will most gladly spend and be completely spent for your souls.—2 Cor. 12:15.

Being a shepherd involves hard work. At times, elders spend sleepless nights in prayerful concern for God’s flock or in giving spiritual support to fellow believers. (2 Cor. 11:27, 28) Still, elders carry out their responsibility fully and gladly, just as Paul did. Indeed, out of love for his brothers, Paul fully spent himself in strengthening them. (2 Cor. 2:4; Phil. 2:17; 1 Thess. 2:8) No wonder the brothers dearly loved Paul! (Acts 20:31-38) We as God’s servants today also love our caring Christian elders and thank Jehovah in our personal prayers for providing them. They add to our joy by showing personal interest in us. We feel enriched by their shepherding visits. Moreover, we are grateful that they stand ready to come to our aid at moments when we feel overwhelmed by the pressures of this world. Yes, such attentive Christian elders truly are ‘fellow workers for our joy.’w13 1/15 5:15, 16

Sunday, August 24

Those slain by Jehovah will certainly come to be in that day from one end of the earth clear to the other end.—Jer. 25:33.

As the end of this system of things draws closer, Satan will intensify his attacks upon Jehovah’s servants. Then will come “the day of [God’s] warring” against his enemies. (Zech. 14:3-5) No section of the earth will escape destruction. The forces lined up on Satan’s side in the battle will be tremendous. (Rev. 19:19-21) Warfare always brings suffering, even to the eventual victors. Food may run short. Property may be lost. Standards of living may drop. Personal freedoms may be curtailed. If such hardships befall us, how will we react? Will we panic? Will we renounce our faith under pressure? Will we lose hope and sink into despondency? How vital it will be during the great tribulation to maintain our faith in Jehovah’s saving power and to remain in Jehovah’s valley of protection!—Hab. 3:17, 18w13 2/15 3:14-16

Monday, August 25

Do not let sin continue to rule as king in your mortal bodies that you should obey their desires. Neither 

go on presenting your members to sin as weapons of unrighteousness.—Rom. 6:12, 13.

Our initially becoming a Christian depended on repentance and on turning around, or turning away from our sins. Repentance, however, is an ongoing process. As imperfect humans, we still have sin lurking within us like a coiled snake ready to strike. (Rom. 3:9, 10) Let us remain sharp-eyed, not ignoring our faults. Happily, Jehovah is patient with us while we earnestly struggle to resist our weaknesses and make needed changes. (Phil. 2:12; 2 Pet. 3:9) A great help is to take control of our use of time and resources, turning away from selfish pursuits. Also, reflect on your dedication. The most precious possession we have is our personal relationship with Jehovah. He knows those who belong to him. (Isa. 44:5) Prayerfully examine the quality and the depth of your relationship with him. w13 3/15 3:14, 16

"A great help is to take control of our use of time and resources, turning away from selfish pursuits."

Thanks for the 'smack' this morning. I've been so very tired lately I wanted to finish my grilled cheese and go back to bed. But I had to reason with self that I slept 81/2 hours Saturday night, napped 21/2 hours yesterday, slept 81/2 hours last night so I should be rested. But I don't feel rested and want to lay down. But today is my service day and it's the end of the campaign. I'm getting dressed now, going to meet at 8.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Tuesday, August 26

Having sustenance and covering, we shall be content with these things.—1 Tim.6:8.

The commercial world is doing its utmost to convince us that we cannot live without its many products and every new model that comes on the market. But true Christians do not want Satan’s world to dictate their priorities. (1 John 2:15-17) As for those who have retired from secular employment, what better way to use their time than in the pioneer ministry, putting Jehovah’s service first? All dedicated servants of Jehovah can ask themselves: What is my primary objective in life? Am I putting Kingdom interests first? Do I imitate Jesus’ self-sacrificing attitude? Am I heeding Jesus’ advice to follow him continually? Could I adjust my schedule in order to devote more time to the Kingdom-preaching work or to other theocratic pursuits? Even if my circumstances do not at the moment allow me to expand my service, am I continuing to cultivate a self-sacrificing spirit? w12 6/15 3:16, 17

Wednesday, August 27

Instruct me, O Jehovah, in your way, and lead me in the path of uprightness on account of my foes.—Ps. 27:11.

Acting in harmony with this prayer means paying careful attention to any Bible-based direction that we receive through Jehovah’s organization and applying it at once. Many who have rid themselves of needless debt can testify that applying wise counsel to simplify their life has benefited them during the recent economic crises. Rather than finding themselves burdened with possessions they can no longer afford, they are free to expand their ministry. Each of us does well to ask himself, ‘Do I immediately apply everything I read in the Bible and in the publications of the faithful and discreet slave, even when it requires making personal sacrifices?’ (Matt. 24:45) By allowing Jehovah to instruct us and lead us in the path of uprightness, we will have no cause for fear. w127/15 3:15, 16