JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2014

Monday, March 24

Let each one of you individually so love his wife as he does himself; on the otherhand, the wife should have deep respect for her husband.—Eph. 5:33.

The Bible compares Christ’s relationship with the congregation to that of a husband with his wife. This should at once impress on us the direction a husband should give and the love and care he needs to exercise—as well as the subjection the wife should manifest—within the marital union. (Eph. 5:22-32) When Paul wrote: “In this wayhusbands ought to be loving their wives as their own bodies,” about which “way” was he speaking? (Eph. 5:28) His preceding words drew attention to the way in which “Christ also loved the congregation and delivered up himself for it, . . . cleansing it with the bath of water by means of the word.” Indeed, to work in harmony with Jehovah’s purpose for gathering all things together again in the Christ, a husband must be alert to feed his family spiritually. w12 7/15 4:15

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tuesday, March 25

What God has yoked together let no man put apart.—Matt. 19:6.

To avoid the pit of adultery, reflect on the meaning of marital commitment. Never think that your theocratic privileges are more important than your spouse. Moreover, be aware that frequently spending time away from your mate for nonessential activities may indicate a weakness in your marriage and can lead to temptation and possibly to serious sin. If you are an elder, though, what about the flock? The apostle Peter wrote: “Shepherd the flock of God in your care, not under compulsion, but willingly; neither for love of dishonest gain, but eagerly.” (1 Pet. 5:2) Congregation members in your care certainly should not be ignored. However, you should not fulfill your role as a shepherd at the expense of your role as a husband. It would be pointless—even dangerous—to focus all your attention on feeding the congregation while your mate is “starving” at home. w128/15 4:14, 15

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Wednesday, March 26

[Holy spiritwill guide you into all the truth.—John 16:13.

Just as anointed Christians do, alert members of the great crowd are sticking close to God’s appointed channel for dispensing spiritual food. (Ps. 119:130) Thus strengthened, they too prove themselves ready for Christ’s return, staying active even under serious trial. In one Nazi prison camp, for example, at first the brothers had only one copy of the Bible. So they prayed for further spiritual food. Shortly thereafter they learned that a newly imprisoned brother had managed to smuggle a few new issues of The Watchtower into the camp inside his wooden leg. Among the survivors was an anointed brother named Ernst Wauer, who later recalled: “Jehovah helped us in a marvelous way to commit to memory the fortifying thoughts in the articles.” Then he said: “Nowadays, it is so easy to get spiritual food, but do we always appreciate it?” w12 9/15 4:14

I think brothers loved the wt and awakes more at that time because today we have a very widened life with movies,3d, music, internet, much money to keep on buying at a regular basis and then maintain it and then sell it. so each of our action leads a little away from finishing the food. either we don't read all our publications or we read it with diverted concentration. this will not build a strong and healthy faith.

Sent from my Q800 using Tapatalk

The truth is so deep, that we would be lost in it like in a labyrinth, so to speak, without the guidance of the holy spirit. So lets stick close to Gods channel for dispensing spiritual food!

“The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet.” 

Thursday, March 27

We all stumble many times.—Jas. 3:2.

What should we do upon realizing that we have committed a sin like that mentioned atLeviticus 5:4? If we confess the specific sin to Jehovah, he will mercifully forgive us through the office of our High Priest, Jesus Christ. (1 John 2:1, 2) To remain in God’s favor, however, we must show fruits that befit repentance by not making a practice of such sins and by doing our best to make amends for any harm done by our thoughtless speech. (Prov. 6:2, 3) Of course, it is far better to think carefully before making promises that we are unable to fulfill. (Eccl. 5:2) By proving faithful in the final test at the end of Jesus’ Millennial Reign, we will never again have reason to doubt anyone’s word. (Rev. 20:7-10) Every ‘Yes will mean Yes, and every No, No.’ (Matt. 5:37) For everyone then living will be a perfect imitator of our loving heavenly Father, Jehovah, “the God of truth.”—Ps. 31:5w12 10/15 4:16, 18

Friday, March 28

Look! Your house is abandoned to you.—Matt. 23:38.

After Jesus was sent to the earth and the one perfect ransom sacrifice was provided, Jehovah no longer accepted Israel’s animal sacrifices. (1 John 4:9, 10) As a man, Jesus reflected his Father’s viewpoint when he spoke these moving words: “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the killer of the prophets and stoner of those sent forth to her,—how often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks together under her wings! But you people did not want it.” (Matt. 23:37) Thus, the sinful and unrepentant nation was replaced by spiritual Israel. (Matt. 21:43; Gal. 6:16) But what about individual members of natural Israel? They are welcome to benefit from Jehovah’s forgiveness and mercy by exercising faith in God and in the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. That opportunity will also be open to people who died without repenting of their sins but who are resurrected on a cleansed earth.—John 5:28, 29; Acts 24:15w12 11/15 4:16

Saturday, March 29

[Mosescontinued steadfast as seeing the One who is invisible.—Heb. 11:27.

We understand that secular work and money can help us to care for our needs. We know that recreation can refresh us and that technology can be useful. But pursuing any of these things at the wrong time, to an extreme degree, or in a way that interferes with our worship could distance us from Jehovah. Satan, of course, would like that to happen. Still, you can prevent such a calamity from befalling you and your family! (Prov. 22:3) Draw close to Jehovah, and stay close to him. We have many Bible examples to instruct us in this regard. Enoch and Noah “walked with the true God.” (Gen. 5:22; 6:9) Jesus had God’s constant support because he always did what was pleasing to his heavenly Father. (John 8:29) Imitate such examples. “Always be rejoicing. Pray incessantly. In connection with everything give thanks.” (1 Thess. 5:16-18) And let nothing distance you from Jehovah! w13 1/15 3:19, 20

I need to come back to this when I have access to my study material.  It has always troubled me WHY did the  Isrealites keep falling away from serving Jehovah when they had constant guidance and saw and felt his protection on a daily basis.  I was terrified that would happen to me too because they had so much extraordinary proof that they were serving the TRUE GOD!  I have thought about this for the last 16 some years.  Then, last week when I had been studying and praying ferverently, and talking with my elders about a very personal problem re: my sister, I found the answer!  Matt 12:43-45!!!  Talk about waiting on Jehovah for the answer!  Every explanation that friends would give me over the years as to why they kept turning their backs on Jehovah never made complete sense to me.  Then I was studying about disfellowshipping and BAM!  The answer!  Please read Matt 12:43 -45.  There was the answer that connected all the dots.  Thank You Jehovah!!!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Sunday, March 30

God saw everything he had made and, look! it was very good.—Gen. 1:31.

Having reviewed his creative works, Jehovah God announced the beginning of a seventh day—not a 24-hour day, but a long period of time during which he has rested from further works of earthly creation. (Gen. 2:2) God’s rest day still has not ended. (Heb. 4:9, 10) The Bible does not reveal exactly when it started. It was some time after the creation of Adam’s wife, Eve, about 6,000 years ago. Ahead of us lies the Thousand Year Reign of Jesus Christ, which will ensure the fulfillment of God’s purpose in creating the earth to be an everlasting paradise filled with perfect mankind. (Gen. 1:27, 28; Rev. 20:6) Can you be sure that you will have such a happy future? Indeed you can! For “God proceeded to bless the seventh day and make it sacred.” This was a guarantee that no matter what unforeseen problems might arise, God’s purpose would unfailingly come true by the end of his rest day.—Gen. 2:3w12 10/15 3:1, 2

Monday, March 31

We are fellow workers for your joy.—2 Cor. 1:24.

With that expression, Paul referred to himself and his close associates. Why do we draw that conclusion? Well, in the same letter, Paul reminded the Corinthians of two of these associates when he wrote: “Jesus . . . was preached among you through us, that is, through me and Silvanus and Timothy.” (2 Cor. 1:19) Moreover, whenever Paul used the term “fellow workers” in his letters, it always referred to his close associates, such as Apollos, Aquila, Prisca, Timothy, Titus, and others. (Rom. 16:3, 21; 1 Cor. 3:6-9; 2 Cor. 8:23) Hence, by saying: “We are fellow workers for your joy,” Paul assured the Corinthians that he and his companions wanted to do all they could to promote the joy of all members of the congregation. Today, Christian elders have the same desire. They want to do all they can to help their brothers to “serve Jehovah with rejoicing.”—Ps. 100:2; Phil. 1:25w13 1/15 5:4

Tuesday, April 1

I was making greater progress in Judaism than many of my own age.—Gal. 1:14.

Fluent in Hebrew and Greek, Saul had Roman citizenship, which accorded him much-coveted privileges and rights. Had he chosen to keep pursuing such worldly success, he could likely have gained personal prominence and financial security. Instead, he chose a course that to others—perhaps even to some relatives—seemed to be sheer folly. Why? Paul loved Jehovah and desired his approval more than riches and prominence among men. Gaining an accurate knowledge of the truth, Paul came to value the ransom, the Christian ministry, the hope of life in heaven—things that the world largely ignores. No matter what trials came his way, Paul was determined to be faithful to God, to endure in true worship. That is a goal that is lacking on the world’s agenda for success. Do you share Paul’s determination? w12 12/15 1:10-12

Wednesday, April 2

My son, know the God of your father and serve him with a complete heart.—1 Chron. 28:9.

God’s Word often refers in a figurative way to parts of the human body. For instance, the patriarch Job stated: “There is no violence upon my palms.” King Solomon observed: “A report that is good makes the bones fat.” Jehovah assured Ezekiel: “Harder than flint, I have made your forehead.” And the apostle Paul was told: “You are introducing some things that are strange to our ears.” (Job 16:17; Prov. 15:30; Ezek. 3:9; Acts 17:20) One part of the human body, though, is referred to figuratively in the Bible far more often than any other. It is the one mentioned in a prayer by faithful Hannah: “My heart does exult in Jehovah.” (1 Sam. 2:1) In fact, Bible writers mention the heart nearly a thousand times, almost always in a figurative sense. It is of utmost importance that we understand what the heart represents because the Bible states that we need to safeguard it.—Prov. 4:23.w12 4/15 3:1, 2

This really shows how Satan has blinded the eyes of unbelievers in the fact that if they 'knew for certain' these hopes and promises Jehivah holds out for his loyal servants were true, there would be no hesitation on their part. It really makes me meditate on what I can do to stay determined to remain faithful to Jah come what way.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Thursday, April 3

Who has created these things?—Isa. 40:26.

In the physical world, precise timing can be seen on a microscopic as well as on a macroscopic scale. Atoms vibrate at consistent rates. International time-standard clocks regulated by atomic vibrations are accurate to 1 second in 80 million years. The movement of planets and stars is also precisely timed. Their predictable positions in the sky have been used to mark the seasons and to navigate. Jehovah—the Maker of these reliable “timepieces”—is indeed “vigorous in power” and deserves our praise. Precise timing can be observed in the world of biology. The life cycles of many plants and animals are regulated by internal clocks. Many birds instinctively know when to begin their migration. (Jer. 8:7) Humans too have internal clocks, usually governed by the 24-hour cycle of day and night. (Ps. 104:24) Yes, the Great Timekeeper is all-wise and all-powerful. w12 5/15 3:3, 4

Can you imagine the mess the earth would be in if Jehovah wasn't in control? Of course the earth wouldn't exist if that were so. Our creator is awesome!:-)

Friday, April 4

The king of Babylon came to Jerusalem and proceeded to lay siege to it.—Dan.1:1.

Jehovah allowed the Babylonians to overthrow Jerusalem and to take his people into captivity. (2 Ki. 20:16-18) He foretold that the line of human kings who were said to sit on “Jehovah’s throne” in Jerusalem would be removed. (1 Chron. 29:23) However, Jehovah also promised that a descendant of King David, one who had “the legal right,” would come and reclaim that authority. (Ezek. 21:25-27) Another prophecy indicated that the Jews would still be worshipping at the temple in Jerusalem when the promised Messiah, or Anointed One, arrived. (Dan. 9:24-27) An earlier prophecy, written before Israel was taken captive to Babylon, stated that this person would be born in Bethlehem. (Mic. 5:2) If those prophecies were to be fulfilled, the Jews would have to be liberated from captivity, return to their homeland, and rebuild the temple. w12 6/15 1:9-11

Saturday, April 5

He who peers into the perfect law that belongs to freedom and who persists in it. . . will be happy in his doing it.—Jas. 1:25.

The original Greek word translated “peers” means “to stoop to look into,” which implies concentrated effort. Yes, if we want the law of freedom to affect our mind and heart, we must do our part by diligently studying the Bible and prayerfully meditating on what we read. (1 Tim. 4:15) At the same time, we must ‘persist,’ or endure, in applying God’s Word, thus making the truth our way of life. Jesus expressed a similar thought when he said to some who believed in him: “If you remain in my word, you are really my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (John 8:31, 32) We “know” the truth in the fullest sense when we make it our way of life. Then we can rightly say that “the word of God” is “at work” in us, molding our personality so that we more closely reflect our heavenly Father.—1 Thess. 2:13w12 7/15 1:10, 11

Sunday, April 6

Happy are the eyes that behold the things you are beholding.—Luke 10:23.

In April 1881, a call for 1,000 preachers was issued in the Watch Tower. That call showed that the Bible Students recognized that an essential work of true Christians is to preach the good news. But the call for 1,000 full-time preachers was optimistic, since only a few hundred attended the meetings of the Bible Students at that time. After reading a tract or a magazine, however, many people recognized the ring of truth and readily responded to the call. For example, after reading an issue of the Watch Tower and a booklet published by the Bible Students, in 1882 a reader from London, England, wrote: “Please instruct me how and what to preach so as to accomplish the blessed work God wishes done.” By 1885, about 300 Bible Students were sharing in the colporteur service. Those full-time ministers had the same objective as we do today—that of making disciples of Jesus Christ. w12 8/15 1:8-11

Monday, April 7

You will be bound to come up against my people.—Ezek. 38:16.

Knowing in advance about this attack on God’s people does not make us overly anxious. Rather, our main concern is, not our own salvation, but the sanctification of Jehovah’s name and the vindication of his sovereignty. In fact, Jehovah declared more than 60 times: “You will have to know that I am Jehovah.” (Ezek. 6:7; see footnote.) Hence, we look forward with intense interest to the fulfillment of that outstanding aspect of Ezekiel’s prophecy, trusting that “Jehovah knows how to deliver people of godly devotion out of trial.” (2 Pet. 2:9) Meanwhile, we want to use every opportunity to strengthen our faith so that we will be able to keep our integrity to Jehovah no matter what tests we may face. What should we do? We should pray, study God’s Word and meditate on it, and share the Kingdom message with others. By doing so, we keep our hope of everlasting life firm, like “an anchor.”—Heb. 6:19; Ps. 25:21w12 9/15 1:8, 9

Tuesday, April 8

God proceeded to bless the seventh day and make it sacred, because on it he has  been resting from all his work that God has created for the purpose of making.—Gen. 2:3.

After God’s rest day began, disaster struck. Satan, an angelic son of God, set himself up as a rival god. He told the first lie and deceived Eve so that she disobeyed Jehovah. (1 Tim. 2:14) Eve, in turn, got her husband to join the rebellion. (Gen. 3:1-6) Even at that low point in universal history when God’s truthfulness was being called into question, Jehovah did not see the need to confirm with an oath that his purpose would still come true. Instead, in words that would be understood in God’s due time, he simply stated how the rebellion would be crushed: “I shall put enmity between you [satan] and the woman and between your seed and her seed. He [the promised Seed] will bruise you in the head and you will bruise him in the heel.”—Gen. 3:15; Rev. 12:9w12 10/15 3:2, 3