JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2017

katielou

Wednesday, March 29

If a man takes a false step before he is aware of it, you who have spiritual qualifications try to readjust such a man in a spirit of mildness.—Gal. 6:1.

Kindness can help you to deal with a conflict of loyalties. For example, you may have definite knowledge that a certain fellow believer is guilty of serious misconduct. You may feel loyal to him, especially if he is a close friend or a relative. But if you were to cover up the wrongdoing, you would be disloyal to God. Of course, your loyalty to Jehovah should come first. Be kind yet firm. Urge your friend or relative to seek the help of the elders. If he or she does not do so within a reasonable period of time, loyalty to God should move you to report the matter to the elders. In doing this, you are being loyal to Jehovah and kind to your friend or relative, for Christian elders will try to readjust such an individual with mildness.—Lev. 5:1. w16.02 4:14

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Thursday, March 30

Consider what sort of people you ought to be in holy acts of conduct and deeds of godly devotion.—2 Pet. 3:11.

“Deeds of godly devotion” include your activities in the congregation, such as your meeting attendance and participation in the ministry. Also included are spiritual activities that others do not see, such as your private prayers and your personal study. A person who has dedicated his life to Jehovah will not consider these deeds to be chores. Rather, he will reflect the attitude of King David, who said: “To do your will, O my God, is my delight, and your law is deep within me.” (Ps. 40:8) Remember, as a dedicated and baptized Christian, you will stand before Jehovah on your own. Your service to him should not depend on others—not even your parents. Your holy acts of conduct and deeds of godly devotion give evidence that you have made the truth your own and that you are progressing toward baptism. w16.03 2:10, 12, 15

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Our service to Jehovah should not depend on others.  Still a lesson I struggle with.  Would love to not be 'alone' in the truth re:marriage mate.  But I need to fully remember the time he use to be opposed and realize he supports me now by asking 'do you have a meeting tonight? Are you going out tomorrow?  Could you do this for me afterwards?'  Need to concentrate on how far he has come and how much his attitude has changed.  Alone?  Not so much as I feel....:).  Thank you Jehovah and help me keep this in mind.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

3 hours ago, LeslieDean said:

Our service to Jehovah should not depend on others.  Still a lesson I struggle with.  Would love to not be 'alone' in the truth re:marriage mate.  But I need to fully remember the time he use to be opposed and realize he supports me now by asking 'do you have a meeting tonight? Are you going out tomorrow?  Could you do this for me afterwards?'  Need to concentrate on how far he has come and how much his attitude has changed.  Alone?  Not so much as I feel....:).  Thank you Jehovah and help me keep this in mind.

Yes, and your dear husband does his share to provide you with a fine home. And his goodness to you. I can't help but Jehovah sees that, and appreciates what he does, and on a regular basis. If only our unbelieving mates knew how close they are to someone who has a relationship with our great and wonderful God, Jehovah. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

The meeting attendance, participation in ministry, prayers, and personal study, etc...are building blocks to dedicating our lives to Jehovah and to increase our faith....If we're not doing those things, the opening theme scripture says we need to consider what people we are... self examination is needed

Friday, March 31

Before the faith arrived, we were being guarded under law. . . . So the Law became our guardian leading to Christ.—Gal. 3:23, 24.

The Mosaic Law acted as a protective wall against the degraded moral and religious acts of other nations. When Israel listened to God, the nation received his blessing. When they ignored him, they suffered dire consequences. (Deut. 28:1, 2, 15) Directions were needed for another reason. The Law pointed to an important development as to Jehovah’s will. That was the coming of the Messiah, Jesus Christ. The Law made it clear as never before that the Israelites were imperfect. It also impressed on them the need for a ransom, a perfect sacrifice that would fully cover sin. (Gal. 3:19; Heb. 10:1-10) Furthermore, the Law helped to preserve the genealogical line leading to the Messiah and to identify him when he appeared. Yes, the Law acted as a temporary tutor, or “guardian,” leading to Christ. w16.03 4:6, 7

Saturday, April 1

Be watchful! Your adversary, the Devil, walks about like a roaring lion, seeking to devour someone.—1 Pet. 5:8.

At one time, he enjoyed a fine standing with Jehovah. At some point, however, this spirit creature began to desire the worship of humans. Rather than dismiss that improper desire, he nurtured it and let it grow until it gave birth to sin. (Jas. 1:14, 15) We know that creature as Satan, who “did not stand fast in the truth.” He rebelled against Jehovah and became “the father of the lie.” (John 8:44) Since his rebellion, Satan has proved to be Jehovah’s greatest enemy, and he certainly has not been a friend of mankind. The titles given to Satan reveal the depth of his corruption. Satan means “Resister,” indicating that this wicked spirit creature does not support God’s sovereignty; rather, he hates it and aggressively fights it. More than anything else, Satan wants to see the end of Jehovah’s sovereignty. w15 5/15 1:1, 2

Sunday, April 2

If anyone loves God, this one is known by him.—1 Cor. 8:3.

Studying the Scriptures does more than reveal areas in which we can improve spiritually. It also deepens our appreciation for Jehovah’s endearing ways, causing us to love him even more. And when our love for God grows, his love for us intensifies, thus strengthening our bond with him. For us to draw close to Jehovah, however, it is essential that we study with the right objective. John 17:3 says: “This means everlasting life, their coming to know you, the only true God, and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ.” Thus, our objective should be not merely to take in knowledge but to come to “know” Jehovah better as a Person. (Ex. 33:13; Ps. 25:4) As we come to know Jehovah more intimately, we will not be unduly disturbed if certain Bible accounts leave us wondering why he acted as he did. w15 4/15 3:6-8

Our love for Jehovah is an important part of being known by him. As John 6:44 says "No man can come to me unless the Father, who sent me, draws him..." This means that Jehovah has examined our hearts and drawn us close to him. May I show him that I do love him by doing my daily Bible reading, personal study, meeting preparation, attendance, and participation and having a full share in the ministry. 

Monday, April 3

[Timothy] will remind you of my methods in connection with Christ Jesus, just as I am teaching everywhere in every congregation.—1 Cor. 4:17.

Recently, a group of elders who are successful in helping brothers to grow spiritually were asked what approach they use when training others. Though the circumstances of these brothers vary greatly, the advice they gave was strikingly similar. What does this indicate? That Bible-based training is applicable to learners “everywhere in every congregation”—just as it was in the apostle Paul’s day. A teacher needs to create the right conditions for training. Just as a gardener needs to cultivate, or loosen, the soil before sowing seeds, so a teacher needs to prepare, or encourage, the heart of a learner before teaching him new skills. So how do teachers create the right conditions for training others? By following an approach similar to that taken by Samuel when he was preparing Saul to lead Israel.—1 Sam. 9:15-27; 10:1. w15 4/15 1:11, 12