JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Bible-Based Child Protection Packet Released

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1852 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

5 hours ago, Myew said:

Leviticus

I feel like you are arguing from a very logical perspective and not considering a lot of emotional issues. Are human factors. I suppose a lot of victims don't want to be forced to share the embarassment with the world. It affects how people view the victim, and they may have good reason not to have to share. A virgin victim of rape in ancient Israel would have been viewed as "broken goods" by many men and have a hard time finding a husband. We are no longer under the mosaic law for many good reasons.

I'm fine with being logical. Being logical is the only way that I can prepare for anything or follow through. Nobody can really say for sure how they will react in an emotional situation out of their control. (Jeremiah 17:9) The heart is more treacherous than anything else and is desperate. Who can know it? (Proverbs 28:26) Whoever trusts in his own heart is stupid, But the one who walks in wisdom will escape.

I don't feel that I'm dismissing the emotional context at all. Rather, I'm trying to direct people to the only solution that will allow them to cope and heal, because I have been through much of it myself. I know too well that even within the truth, many people hear the Bible's counsel on how to deal with trauma, but never actually listen, they don't take it to heart, they don't give in to Jehovah's compassion and mercy, and then they suffer far worse. Of course, I am in the wrong to think that someone can be forced to accept help, as usual. It has to come from within their own heart. They have to be willing to accept the help themselves. 'The heart is a door that can only be unlocked from the inside.' I guess we can do nothing more than try to show love and be 'hospitable without grumbling.', hoping that someday they will accept and appreciate help. I'm just bitter from seeing too many people being hardhearted and never taking that step, even given decades, and ingraining mental disorders into their children. (Job 6:25) Honest words are not painful! But what benefit can be found in your reproof? (Proverbs 14:10) The heart knows its own bitterness, And no outsider can share in its joy.

I don't see why we can't apply Jehovah's principles from the mosaic law in our lives today. His attitude and feelings on such matters have not changed. (Malachi 3:5, 6) “I will come near to you for judgment, and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, against the adulterers, against those who take false oaths, against those who defraud the hired worker, the widow, and the fatherless child, and against those who refuse to help the foreigner. These have not feared me,” says Jehovah of armies. 6 “For I am Jehovah; I do not change."

I also don't understand what 'damaged goods' has to do with our modern context. No loving Christian would view a person in that way. Rahab was a prostitute, but she became the mother to Boaz, who took in Ruth when she was a widow. Jehovah blessed both with husbands and put them in line as descendants of the Messiah for acting with faith. (James 2:24, 25) "You see that a man is to be declared righteous by works and not by faith alone. 25 In the same manner, was not Raʹhab the prostitute also declared righteous by works...?" (Ruth 2:11, 12) Boʹaz answered her: “A full report was made to me of all you have done for your mother-in-law after the death of your husband and how you left your father and your mother and the land of your relatives to go to a people whom you had not known before. 12 May Jehovah reward you for what you have done, and may there be a perfect wage for you from Jehovah the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to seek refuge.”

Everything I have ever read indicates that Jehovah is begging and pleading for people who have been abused to take action so that he can give them inner peace.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101990170#h=11
The Bible does not say that God miraculously shields his people from harm. God’s laws to Israel indicated that rape could befall faithful servants of God. (Deuteronomy 22:23-27) However, God has provided us with Scriptural direction that can work for our benefit if we apply it. And the Bible-based advice on resisting rape proved to be a protection for the woman in question. Appropriately, she thanked God for providing this helpful information.—ED.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101993163 How to Cope with Rape (Awake! 1993)

Spoiler

Some women continue to deny what happened by telling no one about their rape. They repress the attack for years, which delays the healing process and causes other emotional problems that the survivor may not realize are stemming from the rape.

Recovery doesn’t usually begin until you talk to others. A trusted friend can help you to see that what happened to you was indeed rape and was not your fault. An old proverb states: “A true companion is loving all the time, and is a brother that is born for when there is distress.” (Proverbs 17:17) Also, spiritual shepherds can “prove to be like a hiding place from the wind and a place of concealment from the rainstorm.” (Isaiah 32:2; 1 Thessalonians 5:14) For some victims, contacting a rape-crisis center or a professional counselor may be needed to help them sort out their feelings.

If the rape happened recently, friends can help the victim get medical help and can offer a safe place to stay. Encourage her to report the rape, but let her make the decisions. She has just come from a situation where she was stripped of all control. Allow her to take some of that control back by letting her choose what to do next.

Families of rape victims must resist the urge to react emotionally to the situation.

“Instead of telling yourself how weak, useless, or helpless you are, learn to tell yourself how well you are doing and how far you have come since the turmoil immediately following the assault,” said Linda Ledray in Recovering From Rape. “Each day that you feel less overwhelmed by negative thoughts and feelings, tell yourself, ‘I’m learning to take back control.’”

Call the police as soon as you are able to. Counselors recommend reporting for your safety and for the safety of other women. Reporting is not the same as prosecuting, but if you choose to prosecute later, your case will be weakened by a delayed report.

Forgive me if I have taken this off topic... I am very thankful that we have the new packet to help people understand clearly what steps to take to prevent abuse, and to protect children in the event that it happens. It's one of the worst things that can happen to anyone, yet we are not left in the dark about what actions we should take. Nothing compares to how Jehovah cares for and teaches his servants.

On 5/16/2018 at 12:34 AM, ChocoBro said:

I feel like you are arguing from a very logical perspective and not considering a lot of emotional issues. Are human factors. I suppose a lot of victims don't want to be forced to share the embarassment with the world. It affects how people view the victim, and they may have good reason not to have to share.

Based on what I read from people who have been through this sort of litigation, they say that its awfully stressful and that they do not want their lives dissected. Others are willing to go through it to get the justice they rightfully deserve and are entitled to.

But I think part of what contributes to the stress is that when it comes to our organization, lawyers always sue the wrong people, which are almost always those with the deeper pockets (WTBTS) and they are willing to litigate for years with no regard to the victim(s) to make sure they maximize the size of their paycheck. Lawyers are obligated to make as much money for themselves and their law firm as humanly possible.

On the other hand, when someone wants to sue the organization for something they are not responsible for, we then become obligated to protect our finances from those who are clearly targeting our money. To simply hand out money when we are not responsible for the wrong, is irresponsible.  So our brothers have to litigate in such a way that makes those lawyers have to fight to for the money they want. This discourages frivolous litigation because of the money the opposing Law Firm would have to spend. No lawyer worth his/her salt will fight cases they cannot win. It is a waste of money. 

What is unfortunate is that the person who has been victimized is in the middle of a battle between two entities. Perhaps if our judicial system didn't simply throw money at problems, this could be minimized or eliminated. Its become a fight over money, and not justice for the victim/survivor.

We have mentioned several times how the instructions published in The Watchtower at least from 1962 were that the victim of a crime (including of course rape and child abuse) has the right to report it to the authorities. The congregation doesn't protect criminals.

Well, it's actually older than 1962. Today I was doing some unrelated research on 1 Timothy 5:21 and the only reference was  w57 217. When I read that old article, I found the following:

Even though a close friendship may have been built up over the years or the offender might have been a member of the family, the overseer was obliged to see that Jehovah’s law was honored, “doing nothing according to a biased leaning.” No servant or any Christian may shield a wrongdoer from deserved punishment and expect Jehovah’s blessing. It is not a question of butting into the personal business of another, but when any uncleanness is permitted in a congregation or country the work does not prosper. Remember Achan had to be cleaned out of Israel before prosperity was restored and victory won. So for the sake of the organization and for the salvation of one who may have started going in the wrong way, never shield a wrongdoer, even though he be a close friend or member of the family. It is part of the Christian responsibility to keep the organization clean.—1 Tim. 5:19-21; Josh. 7:25, NW.

31 minutes ago, carlos said:

We have mentioned several times how the instructions published in The Watchtower at least from 1962 were that the victim of a crime (including of course rape and child abuse) has the right to report it to the authorities. The congregation doesn't protect criminals.

Well, it's actually older than 1962. Today I was doing some unrelated research on 1 Timothy 5:21 and the only reference was  w57 217. When I read that old article, I found the following:

Yep, but many people (not anyone here) seem unable to wrap their heads around the fact that it’s a violation of those rights for the organization made it mandatory for members to report, if the State doesn’t make it mandatory. 

Ignoring an organizational mandate will bring sanctions for non-compliance. So imagine if there is no state mandate to report, but the organization took it upon themselves to mandate it upon all members. Can you image the backlash by these same hypocritical opposers if a person is sanctioned for exercising their rights to not report for whatever reason:

”How dare they violate the rights of their membership! Do they now want to “control” even what a person does or does not report to police?!?”

Best to respect our rights. 

3 hours ago, Bob said:

Yep, but many people (not anyone here) seem unable to wrap their heads around the fact that it’s a violation of those rights for the organization made it mandatory for members to report, if the State doesn’t make it mandatory. 

I agree but I'm not sure if I'm not understanding your point or you are not understanding mine. :innocent:

I just quoted that magazine to show that it has never been our practice to cover child abusers or any criminals. The article deals mainly with congregational discipline, but if the wrongdoers had to face jail or other consequences for their crimes, we wouldn't protect them either. The congregation has to be clean, otherwise Jehovah could not bless it.

In other words, our organization has always acknowledged that any victim has the right to report the abuse to the authorities if they wish.

18 minutes ago, carlos said:

I agree but I'm not sure if I'm not understanding your point or you are not understanding mine. :innocent:

I just quoted that magazine to show that it has never been our practice to cover child abusers or any criminals. The article deals mainly with congregational discipline, but if the wrongdoers had to face jail or other consequences for their crimes, we wouldn't protect them either. The congregation has to be clean, otherwise Jehovah could not bless it.

In other words, our organization has always acknowledged that any victim has the right to report the abuse to the authorities if they wish.

My bad. I was just building on the point you made about having the right to report. When you said that, it reminded me of rights afforded to us by law that the organization also respects.

On 5/9/2018 at 4:04 PM, Bob said:

And what right thing weren't we doing that the ARC had to make us do? 

We have talked about this before I think Bob; that Counsel Assisting was influenced by apostates. He didn’t know any different, but I think we both agreed that in the end even he realized it for what it was, JW- bashing on their part.  However, and since you ask, I see several areas where the ARC had direct influence where it actually mattered  (I listened to the whole thing). Here underlined are the areas where I see change. Please, any Elders on here correct me if I am wrong.

5.  Even if the elders have no legal duty to report an accusation to the authorities, the branch office of Jehovah’s Witnesses will instruct the elders to report the matter if a minor is still in danger of abuse or there is some other valid reason.

9.  Elders never require victims of child abuse to present their accusation in the presence of the alleged abuser. However, victims who are now adults may do so, if they wish. In addition, victims can be accompanied by a confidant of either gender for moral support when presenting their accusation to the elders.

10. Child abuse is a serious sin. If an alleged abuser is a member of the congregation, the elders conduct a Scriptural investigation. This is a purely religious proceeding handled by elders according to Scriptural instructions and is limited to the issue of membership as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. A member of the congregation who is an unrepentant child abuser is expelled from the congregation and is no longer considered one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. (1 Corinthians 5:13) The elders’ handling of an accusation of child abuse is not a replacement for the authorities’ handling of the matter.

11. If it is determined that one guilty of child sexual abuse is repentant and will remain in the congregation, restrictions are imposed on the individual’s congregation activities. The individual will be specifically admonished by the elders not to be alone in the company of children, not to cultivate friendships with children, or display any affection for children. In addition, elders will inform parents of minors within the congregation of the need to monitor their children’s interaction with the individual.

13. This document is available upon request to members of the congregation. It is reviewed at least once every three years. (of course now it’s available as a download)

But even if we were already doing these things recently, the number one, and single most important thing, and you mention this yourself is that; it made us become more transparent. In the past, the elders were informed about what they were supposed to do via letters to the BOE, however “ordinary” witnesses really had no clue for the most part. This is the first time that everyone; elders, min servants, publishers and basically anyone in the world who has access to our web site can be on the same page.

I do not insist that the ARC was some kind of corrective tool from Jehovah, but it definitely helped highlight the need for transparency in this area, which I am sure will further help in protecting our children. And that's our ultimate goal of course 😊

Remembering too, the cases cited in the ARC hearing were decades old, and the society had put in measures that were lacking since. This was acknowledge, with a further statement by Brother Jackson - where he said they were open to further tweaks with the addage 'as long as scriptural integrity is not compromised".

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

1 hour ago, annakot said:

We have talked about this before I think Bob; that Counsel Assisting was influenced by apostates. He didn’t know any different, but I think we both agreed that in the end even he realized it for what it was, JW- bashing on their part.  However, and since you ask, I see several areas where the ARC had direct influence where it actually mattered  (I listened to the whole thing). Here underlined are the areas where I see change. Please, any Elders on here correct me if I am wrong.

5.  Even if the elders have no legal duty to report an accusation to the authorities, the branch office of Jehovah’s Witnesses will instruct the elders to report the matter if a minor is still in danger of abuse or there is some other valid reason.

9.  Elders never require victims of child abuse to present their accusation in the presence of the alleged abuser. However, victims who are now adults may do so, if they wish. In addition, victims can be accompanied by a confidant of either gender for moral support when presenting their accusation to the elders.

10. Child abuse is a serious sin. If an alleged abuser is a member of the congregation, the elders conduct a Scriptural investigation. This is a purely religious proceeding handled by elders according to Scriptural instructions and is limited to the issue of membership as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. A member of the congregation who is an unrepentant child abuser is expelled from the congregation and is no longer considered one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. (1 Corinthians 5:13) The elders’ handling of an accusation of child abuse is not a replacement for the authorities’ handling of the matter.

11. If it is determined that one guilty of child sexual abuse is repentant and will remain in the congregation, restrictions are imposed on the individual’s congregation activities. The individual will be specifically admonished by the elders not to be alone in the company of children, not to cultivate friendships with children, or display any affection for children. In addition, elders will inform parents of minors within the congregation of the need to monitor their children’s interaction with the individual.

13. This document is available upon request to members of the congregation. It is reviewed at least once every three years. (of course now it’s available as a download)

But even if we were already doing these things recently, the number one, and single most important thing, and you mention this yourself is that; it made us become more transparent. In the past, the elders were informed about what they were supposed to do via letters to the BOE, however “ordinary” witnesses really had no clue for the most. This is the first time that everyone; elders, min servants, publishers and basically anyone in the world who has access to our web site can be on the same page.

I do not insist that the ARC was some kind of corrective tool from Jehovah, but it definitely helped highlight the need for transparency in this area, which I am sure will further help in protecting our children. And that's our ultimate goal of course 😊 

I respect where you are going, and thanks for taking the time to post this. But what you posted was already practiced, though it wasn't present in one single document. Our policies were scattered about in various WT/Awake articles for a long time.

What you pointed out is what I see as clarity in language, to make it more clear and precise, because the fact of the matter is that apostates and the ARC were looking for holes to exploit. This plugged them well.

So the consolidated document doesn't make us anymore transparent than we already were, it just makes our policies easily accessed.

30 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

Remembering too, the cases cited in the ARC hearing were decades old, and the society had put in measures that were lacking since.

That was for a reason -- child abuse cases were indeed slim pickings in Australia, so they had to re-hash old, adjudicated cases to give merit to their witch-hunt.

Yup realise that. The child abuse cases in Australasia that I know have in the last two-three decades were handled beautifully by the elders. So Im concluding that its certainly not the problem that was conveyed (I watched all videos from the ARC site and read transcripts of all the hearings) by those opposed to us. It was obvious who was goading it all on. So proud of brother Jackson.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

And Sister Anna, here is one thing I keep in mind about the ARC; it was convened because of the abuse going on in the RCC, and the pressure to investigate them. Hence, they didn’t want to be seen as singling out the RCC. 

IICSA (Independent Inquiry into Child Sex Abuse) was formed as a result of the Jimmy Saville sex abuse scandal. 

My my point is, that before these people even looked at us (IICSA has been getting screamed at by apostates for ignoring us for the past 4 years and they haven’t looked our way yet) we were making constant improvements to our policies, so there was no need for them really at all. 

I do not accept the idea that we needed a two-week long investigation to learn that we should place our policies in one single place. We had a base policy on the old JW media website back before 2012. 

1 hour ago, Stormswift said:

Yup realise that. The child abuse cases in Australasia that I know have in the last two-three decades were handled beautifully by the elders. So Im concluding that its certainly not the problem that was conveyed (I watched all videos from the ARC site and read transcripts of all the heartings) by those opposed to us. It was obvious who was goading it all on. So proud of brother Jackson.

1 hour ago, Bob said:

And Sister Anna, here is one thing I keep in mind about the ARC; it was convened because of the abuse going on in the RCC, and the pressure to investigate them. Hence, they didn’t want to be seen as singling out the RCC. 

IICSA (Independent Inquiry into Child Sex Abuse) was formed as a result of the Jimmy Saville sex abuse scandal. 

My my point is, that before these people even looked at us (IICSA has been getting screamed at by apostates for ignoring us for the past 4 years and they haven’t looked our way yet) we were making constant improvements to our policies, so there was no need for them really at all. 

I do not accept the idea that we needed a two-week long investigation to learn that we should place our policies in one single place. We had a base policy on the old JW media website back before 2012. 

Please forgive if I missed something, it must be right before my eyes. I thought I have kept up on your posts on this topic but with so many from a single source I may have missed one or two that would answer my questions, I am sorry if that is the case.

I need a little clarity here: ARC, the Australian Royal Commission is well known and Anna's comment, as near as I can tell, was solely about the ARC. 

What is the RCC?

What does the IICSA have to do with a comment on the ARC? ARC Australia, IICSA England, Wales? What does the Jimmy Savile have to do with Anna's post? ARC was investigating institutional child sexual abuse, Jimmy Savile was investigated about child abuse in the entertainment industry.

I missed the connection somewhere along the line. :confused:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 minutes ago, Old said:

Please forgive if I missed something, it must be right before my eyes. I thought I have kept up on your posts on this topic but with so many from a single source I may have missed one or two that would answer my questions, I am sorry if that is the case.

I need a little clarity here: ARC, the Australian Royal Commission is well known and Anna's comment, as near as I can tell, was solely about the ARC. 

What is the RCC?

What does the IICSA have to do with a comment on the ARC? ARC Australia, IICSA England, Wales? What does the Jimmy Savile have to do with Anna's post? ARC was investigating institutional child sexual abuse, Jimmy Savile was investigated about child abuse in the entertainment industry. 

I missed the connection somewhere along the line. :confused:

Oh, sorry brother. I'll clarify.

I only wanted to demonstrate why an investigative body will pay us any attention at all. It surely isn't because they saw a problem that needed addressing with our policies. So to give my point more credibility, I pointed out why that we were ignored by these bodies.

And just so you know, IICSA is investigating religions organizations:

https://www.iicsa.org.uk/investigations

Thank you for the clarification. In that context it makes sense. I had only looked at the origins of the IICSA which was apparently prompted by the Jimmy Savile episode. Still wondering about the RCC. I went back and lightly perused the Royal Commision page and failed to pick up on an RCC there.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

4 hours ago, annakot said:

But even if we were already doing these things recently, the number one, and single most important thing, and you mention this yourself is that; it made us become more transparent.

All the points underlined in that list have been in practice for decades. There's nothing new there. For several years already the Slave is making sure that absolutely all the elders are up to date regarding those proceedings and that all judicial committees will follow them to the letter. Our children are the most precious good we have and we do everything within our power to protect them. It's hard to imagine why we would want to cover child abusers when we are so strict with any kind of sexual sin.

If that policy is a result of the ARC, then it served some useful purpose. But honestly I doubt it is. The ARC has had virtually no impact in Europe and very little in North America. Most Witnesses are not eve aware that there was an ARC. This child protection packet I think is rather an effort to counteract the misinformation spread by several media. Whatever the reason, I agree that transparency is good and that it's great to have this document (which resembles a lot the one published in 2005) available for everyone. :)

14 minutes ago, carlos said:

This child protection packet I think is rather an effort to counteract the misinformation spread by several media. Whatever the reason, I agree that transparency is good and that it's great to have this document (which resembles a lot the one published in 2005) available for everyone. :)

100 percent agree there. I think as well, this was created primarily with the household of faith in mind, see how its not on the "Publications" side of the website, but in the legal section, where the letter that was read pointed us to.

Bob and Carlos, yes, of course we would never deliberately cover up child abuse, but mistakes were definitely made. You may be right in saying that the primary reason for this packet is to counteract the misinformation in the media, and that the points underlined have been in practice for decades, but how would you explain situations where the perpetrators went on to molest more children after the first victim, despite the elders knowing about the first victim? I am sure you will agree this should have never happened. But it did. This is no media exaggeration, those are facts. A true pedophile does not stop, he merely finds more devious ways.  But with this new packet the likely hood of this happening are much slimmer now, because all relevant persons will be duly informed and the perpetrator no longer able to hide under the guise of "repentance". So I do think that as well as being relevant to those in the media, it is also very helpful for all members of the congregation.

I read all of this and I wonder how many of you  have actually gone  through the whole process ... of discovery ..maybe  family denial .. years going by .. court cases .. denials  ....sexual activity among siblings and close relatives..add as many words and descriptors as you want...

Helping the victims ... supporting the family of the abuser... more court cases.... 

At times a judgement ... but many times no justice from the courts.... enormous amount damage...... at times personal freedom from the revelation... understanding the differences between a victim and survivor 

I have numerous times.... I loose a part of me every time it happens.

It seems that everyone thinks they have clear idea that all these situations are clear cut ... do this ... do that and problem is handled and settled.. We banter back and forth over exact words or phrases, if they were ever used and how much better this sentence  is now.... yep ... so much better.....

Each and every situation I have been involved in last 30 years and all the participating elders....have  been for the protection and aid of the person who says they were victimized... period ... At times even taking the victims  into our home.Each situation the branch was involved with , sometimes to a great extent and others just a notification if it was a  situation of an abuse reported by an adult about a deceased abuser.

Will the explicit guidelines help ?... absolutely

Has all these inquiries and court cases drawn attention to the need to come forward  and deal with the criminal sin and assault ..? yes

Can this give the families in the congregation a clear mandate , to be proactive in  protecting their children ...?. yes

But by far the majority of situations  are not what has happened in the congregation but by what has happened  before anyone was a Jehovah’s Witness... Our role more often is to offer comfort,  help them get some professional help with the side effects and residual effects of the trauma .. often times it is with our brothers and sisters from war torn countries...

So I guess my bottom line is ..debate over words and phrases are interesting and beneficial .. but what is needed is Godly principles and love,that has to be “actively shared “with all victims of abuse and horrific trauma ... just go help someone . Bind up the broken hearts and lives of so many of our brothers and sisters...Please ... just a suggestion ... less debate more action.

We know what has to be done...

Isa 61

He sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,To proclaim liberty to the captivesAnd the wide opening of the eyes to the prisoners, 2 To proclaim the year of Jehovah’s goodwillAnd the day of vengeance of our God,To comfort all who mourn, 

Edited by Lance

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

7 hours ago, annakot said:

Bob and Carlos, yes, of course we would never deliberately cover up child abuse, but mistakes were definitely made. You may be right in saying that the primary reason for this packet is to counteract the misinformation in the media, and that the points underlined have been in practice for decades, but how would you explain situations where the perpetrators went on to molest more children after the first victim, despite the elders knowing about the first victim? I am sure you will agree this should have never happened. But it did. This is no media exaggeration, those are facts.

I don't think you're being fair to us here. I don't recall either of us saying we've always handled abuse properly and any claim to the contrary are lies. That's not what anyone has implied. We know there have been mishandlings, some grave, some not. But mishandling child abuse cases are not the same as deliberately covering them up, as often alleged.

What I have said at least, is that the media has no interest in the truth about our policies. Let me give you three recent, real life examples: In March of this year, the Guardian launched a two-week campaign against us and began openly soliciting ex-jws and apostates for abuse stories. They were even willing to publish stories from anonymous sources. Does that sound like a paper that is interested in reporting the truth, or are they only consorting with liars to report lies? The goal of that campaign was to turn the UK Government against us, as was OPENLY stated in the article leading up to the campaign.

The Netherland media when on record two days ago that "crimes" are being "swept under the rug" without producing a shred of evidence that "crimes" are even taking place!

And earlier this month, the Philadelphia inquirer launched a similar campaign, asking for abuse stories, and they ran a story chock-full of misinformation and outright lies. The writer did not accept any correction on the clear nonsense in that article. These are just three examples out of hundreds I can share.

Now if they were interested in truth, they'd call the branch and ask for a packet explaining how we handle abuse, and they'd compare that with what they are told by oppoers and publish both side by side and let the public decide. But the fact is, truth ruins a good, creepy, salacious, coverup allegation.

Again, no one here is claiming there have been no mistakes. No one is claiming the policies have always been perfect.

Edited by Bob

I understand.... but we easily can spend “ a lot of time” and effort being “keyboard warriors”  with great fire and zeal in our belly beating down every apostate and every false claim on the internet. For the most part those individuals are not the ones who need our time and attention. Those individuals can easily suck us dry and distract us from our main commission.

Jesus was not “sent”to the scribes and Pharisees... But to bind up broken hearted ones.. ones with a desire to know the truth..

These issues need more then lawyerly prose and point and counter point... they need a kind loving heart that can help abused and traumatized people.

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

It is all about time ...  we have a  number of people who are very passionate about discussing the refined policies of the organization, that certain things are written down in absolute black and white... and that is ok to point...

What I have found that those polices have been practiced for the last 30 years even though not clearly written down in a step by step procedure.

The over arching policy or principle we have is do the “ loving thing”.  For the world that is too vague... for the majority of JW’s they get it and do it...

So if we needed a clearly defined marching orders  to act .. good now we have them, but it still boils down to  go out and help those in need ...

As for beating every false claim etc...

We have some who come to this forum to sharpen their skills and gather information to do battle with the Pharisees and Saducces of this world ...

How do we know that .. by the exact same phrases and questions used by opposers...your average brother or sister would not be using the same terminology or discriptors.

It becomes an intellectual game or debate to prove those Pharisees wrong and a great deal of time    and effort goes into the world of trolldom...

We notice that Christ who is the head of the congregation has not directed the slave to gather a whole bunch of “internet pioneers” or “internet publishers” to wage battle with the trolls of this system of things. 

So if we are passionate about this ... I get it... my passion is helping individuals directly... one on one .. or if I know someone needs help. I arrange it that they can get help. We only have so much time in our limited life span...we all to have use it in manner that brings glory to Jehovah and in his direction during these last days...

Edited by Lance