JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How do you button?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2085 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

On 7/11/2018 at 1:10 PM, Brother Jack said:

One of my favorite ties is too long and when I tie it either the side that’s supposed to be shorter is too long and sticking out under the front of the tie or the front part looks like one of Donald trumps ties. I’m going to get the narrow end shortened a few inches.

Or....tie it the correct length and then discreetly tuck the small end flat inside your shirt at the neck. It does not show, it does not distract, and it takes minimal effort to look "well arranged".

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

Or....tie it the correct length and then discreetly tuck the small end flat inside your shirt at the neck. It does not show, it does not distract, and it takes minimal effort to look "well arranged".

Thanks. I’ve tried tucking it in my shirt near my belly button but not in the section by my neck. When I would tuck it in, it would always pop out.  I would think that would make a lump in my shirt and make it hard to wear a tie clip.

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

4 hours ago, Kyle said:

Or....tie it the correct length and then discreetly tuck the small end flat inside your shirt at the neck.

Many years ago my little brother wore one of my dads ties to the meeting, it was so long for him that he tucked the small end in his shirt, it was still too long, so he tucked it in his pants. It was so long that it unrolled down his pant leg so during the meeting he tucked the end into his sock!

After the meeting the tie end slipped out of his sock and he stepped on it with his other foot, tripping and choking at the same time!!

:lol1: 

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

When my husband learned the truth in the early 1950s , he had just come in from the range. He was raised on a cattle ranch and was a real cowboy who all his life had worn Levi jeans. My dad was the "company servant" and there were hardly any men in the congregation of about  15 or so publishers. So Dad decided right then and there to break this cowboy in with parts on the meeting. So true to his lifestyle he always wore his best pair of Levis, a very nice western shirt along with his best Levi jacket an of course boots. He looked very nice and this was his style until the Circuit Overseer came! The CO was nice about it but he told him he needed to wear a suit and tie. Well, he had a suit, the one he wore to funerals-so he had to pull it out and hunt up a necktie. Now he was ready for the stage. We have laughed about it since then but he went on to serve in every servant capacity except "company servant" then when the elder arrangement came in he was appointed an elder and is still in that position. He just turned 91 but his mind is not up to par to carry the elder's load but he is still loved and respected in the Congregation.

16 hours ago, Katty said:

I never noticed how brothers button up their jackets tbh. I'll have to pay more attention

I think I began to notice not only because I'm just really into details, but I raised a son without a father. I gathered a lot of information about what was "well-arranged dress" for a brother, what was "correct" in menswear in general and wanted to train up his aesthetic and eye for detail. Clothing does make an impression and as a young brown boy, even more attention is paid to how he carried himself.  Adam looked/looks good.

Now, to actually *be* good... :(