JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How do you button?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2111 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

6 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

Waaiiittt, ....whut? You got any specific date? or time?...

This is me, about a month ago.  Steve, with his back towards us, is almost exactly the same size as myself.  I think I am about half inch taller.  I gave him that suit so I don't think it knows how to button itself....

(This pic looks funny, like I have a big belly...and I don't)

See I would actually prefer unbuttoned to just one.  This looks fine to me. 

When you asked about which buttons to close, I thought you were talking about my dress Bib Overalls.  We are mostly concerned with the two buttons on both sides (see picture-1).  Got to button both buttons or the trousers flap open on the sides. Here are a couple of other snapshots.  My wife and I going to meeting (pic-2), my brother coming home from service (pic-3) and a new brother (got hi m to wear a tie but we have to work on the grooming)....Just kidding, I couldn't help myself.  We live in the rural area and have had publishers in bibs.....😉

bib-2.jpg

bib-4.jpg

bib-3.jpg

bib-5.jpg

bib-3.jpg

Edited by jwhess

missed a pic

15 minutes ago, cerebral ecstasy said:

It's also a great way to show off a new tie, especially if your wife bought it for you...:)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

16 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

It's also a great way to show off a new tie, especially if your wife bought it for you...:)

So true!  The only tie my husband owns is the one he wore on our wedding day, a tie that I selected because it matched the red of my dress.  I was actually just looking at our wedding photo to see how he had buttoned and I was thinking how handsome he was with his black suit and that tie.  :wub: 

29164_432058690627_999689_n.jpg

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

My Brother gave a talk on the TMS (when we still had that) and he was wearing his cowboy boots (they were clean and shiny).

After the meeting he was told by the TMS Overseer that, if he wanted to give another talk, NO MORE COWBOY BOOTS! He said they were not to be worn on the platform.

A few weeks later we had the visit of the CO - it was the first visit with our new CO - he was wearing cowboy boots :lol1:

So, I guess the point is, if you cannot show the direction is from the FDS (you know, in writing) it simply becomes "personal opinion".

As to bare knees - I have seen plenty of them at the meetings and on the platform .... and no comments were made about them not being allowed :shrugs:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Just thought I would mention .... we just had our RC last weekend. I am not one who takes a lot of pictures during the meeting and/or the Brothers giving their parts so I do not have any pictures to post.

That said, I can tell you, we DID have some Brothers give parts on the platform who DID NOT have their coats buttoned.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

In the business world an indicationof hwo well negotiations are proceding is to watch for the negotiators unbuttoning the suit jackets when they are becoming more at ease with their counterparts. Maybe the brothers on the platform where just at ease with their assingments.

Yeras ago (sorry to use that term again but it was "years ago") we had a DO that was a very good speaker. He was also very fond of food. He never buttoned his suit coat, and probably couldn't if he tried. He was dropped as a traveling brother shortly thereafter. Most of us concluded it was because he set a bad example in being very overweight.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, Old said:

In the business world an indicationof hwo well negotiations are proceding is to watch for the negotiators unbuttoning the suit jackets when they are becoming more at ease with their counterparts. Maybe the brothers on the platform where just at ease with their assingments.

Yeras ago (sorry to use that term again but it was "years ago") we had a DO that was a very good speaker. He was also very fond of food. He never buttoned his suit coat, and probably couldn't if he tried. He was dropped as a traveling brother shortly thereafter. Most of us concluded it was because he set a bad example in being very overweight.

I remember a DO that was very portly, he once called my mom "toots". She thought it was funny...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 7/6/2018 at 11:33 AM, Hope said:

Brothers on the stage should button their jacket or get a jacket that fits properly.  It IS an attention to detail that matters, I think.  It can look a bit sloppy to not have buttons fastened when on display, as in photos, on stage/TV.  Donald Trump never buttons his jacket (plus that over long tie! 😮 ) and it is notable... and unkempt looking.

You NEVER see brothers on the assembly/convention platforms or presenting in videos with their jackets undone. Ever.  I believe that is a good standard for all to follow.  It looks good.

There's another conversation about sport coats vs full suits, but I know that's nearly as endless a debate anymore as beards are, so I won't go there.  Suffice to say, there was a time not long ago (or maybe it was just my congregation) that brothers needed to have a matching suit if he was going on the platform.  Sport coats were viewed as too casual.. and it was remarked as such in the TMS Guidebook of yore.  I know standards have relaxed but I consciously notice it every time I see a brother onstage with an unmatched suit.

Yes, being on stage with an unbuttoned jacket looks too casual. I never get on stage with an unbuttoned jacket. Yes, Donald trump needs to quite with those over long ties. And I swear that he doesn’t know how to tie a tie. They are always wrinkled at the knot. I’ve never seen him with a nice crease in his tie. I also think sports coats are too casual. Anther one, and this is just my opinion, is long sleeved shirts over dress shirts and ties with no jacket like in the picture below. You often see brothers doing this during cooler months. It’s fine for field service but way too casual for the meetings. I once saw a brother/elders son wearing one with no jacket handling the mics. I was like woah!

28492BE0-992C-4EA0-8AEC-05990E08B2C4.jpeg

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

2 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

Yes, being on stage with an unbuttoned jacket looks too casual. I never get on stage with an unbuttoned jacket. Yes, Donald trump needs to quite with those over long ties. And I swear that he doesn’t know how to tie a tie. They are always wrinkled at the knot. I’ve never seen him with a nice crease in his tie. I also think sports coats are too casual. Anther one, and this is just my opinion, is long sleeved shirts over dress shirts and ties with no jacket like in the picture below. You often see brothers doing this during cooler months. It’s fine for field service but way too casual for the meetings. I once saw a brother/elders son wearing one with no jacket handling the mics. I was like woah!

It's also about a size or two too small for him, same with those pants!

Yes, being on stage with an unbuttoned jacket looks too casual. I never get on stage with an unbuttoned jacket. Yes, Donald trump needs to quite with those over long ties. And I swear that he doesn’t know how to tie a tie. They are always wrinkled at the knot. I’ve never seen him with a nice crease in his tie. I also think sports coats are too casual.

Anther one, and this is just my opinion, is long sleeved shirts over dress shirts and ties

I don't know this ; long sleeve shirt over dress shirt? Sounds weird! 

with no jacket like in the picture below. You often see brothers doing this during cooler months. It’s fine for field service but way too casual for the meetings. I once saw a brother/elders son wearing one with no jacket handling the mics. I was like woah!

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:39 PM, cerebral ecstasy said:

Agreed ~ that one button rule is goofy in light of longer ties - and that is not just a trump thing. 

A couple years ago I found myself researching as to the rule and apparently this had to do with some portly king a hundred years ago. 

Given that ties are longer right now and it poking out at the bottom is quite distracting ~ We will look back one day at photos and cringe at the sight of a pink tie poking about the nether regions and reflect that we thought that was classy? :)

The so-called "perfect tie" is supposed to be 'dimpled' or have a wrinkle or crease in the side  next to the knot.  see below.

I wear a vest from fall to first of summer (when it just gets too hot).  My tie length is hidden behind the vest.  I usually wear knit vests (sweater vests) rather than buttoned ones.

Tie.JPG

2 hours ago, NW2018 said:

Agreed ~ that one button rule is goofy in light of longer ties - and that is not just a trump thing. 

A couple years ago I found myself researching as to the rule and apparently this had to do with some portly king a hundred years ago. 

Given that ties are longer right now and it poking out at the bottom is quite distracting ~ We will look back one day at photos and cringe at the sight of a pink tie poking about the nether regions and reflect that we thought that was classy? :)

No... ties are not longer right now.  They are slightly different lengths for men of different heights, but the length that a tie is supposed to hit on a dress shirt has never changed - at least the length that is considered "classy".  Ties should touch just the top of the belt... and if one's belly is over the belt, that means a larger waistband is needed. :)  It's not really appropriate to wear one's pants under the belly; it does not look neat.

tie-length-short-guys_2048x2048.jpg

tie-length.jpg

tiebeltbuckle.png

I don't mean this as a criticism but something I've noticed over the years about the brothers ties is that they aren't straight. I'm sure when they are first put on they are but it seems after a time, possibly the movement of the jacket or something else, they seem to go askew. Most of the time for some reason they slant to the right side.

I've seen this locally at the KH and even speakers on the Convention...

I think when tie tacks/bars were in style they prevented this from happening but in some areas they seem to be not used anymore. . just an observation fwiw...😊

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

The plaque down the front of many dress shirts contributes to this problem. The plaque does not allow the tie to return to its orininal position, keeping it pushed to the right. A propoperly fitted jacket alleviates the problem to a degree. I like tie bars and tie tacks but lose them with greatregularity.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

10 minutes ago, Dove said:

I don't mean this as a criticism but something I've noticed over the years about the brothers ties is that they aren't straight. I'm sure when they are first put on they are but it seems after a time, possibly the movement of the jacket or something else, they seem to go askew. Most of the time for some reason they slant to the right side.

I think when tie tacks/bars were in style they prevented this from happening but in some areas they seem to be not used anymore. . just an observation fwiw...😊

That’s why I bought a tie clip. I got so tired of my tie being all over the place.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

1 hour ago, Hope said:

No... ties are not longer right now.  They are slightly different lengths for men of different heights, but the length that a tie is supposed to hit on a dress shirt has never changed - at least the length that is considered "classy".  Ties should touch just the top of the belt... and if one's belly is over the belt, that means a larger waistband is needed. :)  It's not really appropriate to wear one's pants under the belly; it does not look neat.

tie-length-short-guys_2048x2048.jpg

tie-length.jpg

tiebeltbuckle.png

Ahhh!   So there in lies the problem - too many wearing the wrong length of tie - adding to the trouble is an incorrect fit on the jacket.  It is just down right creepy looking. 

23 minutes ago, Dove said:

I'd like to add that it's not just with the brothers I've seen this..all walks of life; actors, politicians, even Trump once or twice. Maybe that's why he doesn't button his jacket..😊

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

One of my favorite ties is too long and when I tie it either the side that’s supposed to be shorter is too long and sticking out under the front of the tie or the front part looks like one of Donald trumps ties. I’m going to get the narrow end shortened a few inches.

Edited by Brother Jack

I didn't know ties were supposed to have a crease at the knot; I deliberately work at getting it out:shrugs:

I tie my tie (that sounds weird) with my shirt untucked, I usually match the long, wide end of the tie to the bottom of the shirt, that usually gives me a finished knot about the right length.  If it's a little too long, or too short,(within reason)  I don't worry about it.

One thing I do not like about ties is the real thin materials,  like a silk or similar material. I am losing feeling in my hands and it is getting harder to tie them.  I don't like how they result in a smaller knot and sometimes I will need to re tie it a couple of times.

Except,  that doesn't happen.

Denise likes to pick out my shirt/tie combo so I I will try it once, if I don't like how it feels or I have trouble tieing it, it's done. I will toss it and just grab a another one I like the feel of. Usually black. And thick. 

If I do wind up using a thin tie, if I can get it tied ok on the first try, I often just give it away at the meeting. There are several younger guys in our Congregation and I will gift it to one of them.  Denise flips out sometimes because she really liked it or it wasn't cheap, it doesn't really matter to me,  if I don't like it, I won't use it, I don't want it around taking up space on my tie rack....

What type of knot do you prefer to tie your tie? I’ve been using a Four-in-hand knot since my school days; simple, quick and gives a standard look to the tie. I tried the Windsor knot for a short while during the 80s before returning to the Four-in-hand. 

Most common knots in our Cong are the Four-in-hand and Windsor type knots. Occasionally someone will try a fatter knot. Pocket squares are rarely seen and same goes for bow ties. Ties are one way Bros can express their personality through colour and patterns.Though some leave the choice of shirt and tie to their wife.

I dislike having to re-tie my tie every time I dress. When I get a new tie and I’ve knotted it the way I prefer, I loosen the knot and slip it off over my head. Next use I slip it back over my head, cinch the knot and I’m good to go.

21 minutes ago, DavidMc said:

Most common knots in our Cong are the Four-in-hand and Windsor type knots.

I usually use a Half Windsor and occasionally use a Full Windsor.