JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Android tablet help

Hi all you android experts

I have (had?) a Lenovo yoga 8 tablet which suddenly refused to start after working fine for nearly 4 years.

The android version is 4.4.2

It just showed the splash screen at the beginning then did nothing.

After looking up info on the internet it seemed a hard reset/factory reset was in order.

I applied the power button/volume control combination to get to the Android System recovery screen and this was successful.

So I chose from the menu “wipe data/factory reset” and got the message “All data will be deleted. This cannot be undone” So I selected “Yes” and got the android character with the spinning thingy and the word “erasing” underneath. Then a message that data had been wiped.

So I tried “reboot system now” from the menu but instead of rebooting it goes back to the spinning android character with “erasing” again. I have tried this many times but the same thing happens and no reboot occurs.

So I am stuck with a bricked tablet.

So my question is where do I go from here?

Is there no way to reboot this tablet to be able to use it again?

Perhaps some of you experts know what to do from here.

Thanks in advance.

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-the-samsung-galaxy-tab-reboot-loop/

It may be a reboot loop.  Some suggestions are offered in this article, and also read the comments section.  One has to do with removing the battery and installing it again.  It seems to be a hard issue to solve, going on the comments in the article.  All the best!

If your tablet had ADB (Android Debug Bridge) enabled (probably not), you might be able to plug it into a PC and functionally reinstall the operating system from System Recovery. I buy tablets that allow rooting and installing custom operating systems for this. Your operating system or recovery partitions are probably corrupted. If you can't do it, Lenovo would have to do it, which might cost money. In that case a new tablet is probably a much better value. Lenovo's Customer Support would know.

Oh, and if you have an SD card in it, take it out. Make sure its charged and try Factory Resetting again anyway.

Edited by Myew

19 hours ago, Catalyst said:

I applied the power button/volume control combination to get to the Android System recovery screen and this was successful.

So I chose from the menu “wipe data/factory reset” and got the message “All data will be deleted. This cannot be undone” So I selected “Yes” and got the android character with the spinning thingy and the word “erasing” underneath. Then a message that data had been wiped.

This sounds like the CWM recovery program.  can you get back there again?  There are other options available (if they have not been deleted).

It might look something like this:

cwm.JPG

@jwhess I don't think so. What he said indicates the stock android recovery. If he does have CWM or TWRP custom recovery, then it would be more feasible to connect it to a PC and go from there. It is sometimes potentially possible to boot into a custom recovery from stock recovery.

21 hours ago, Catalyst said:

Android System recovery screen
got the android character with the spinning thingy and the word “erasing” underneath.

khits.jpg

@Catalyst By the way, it would be much easier if we had the exact model # of your tablet. Is it a B6000 (-F? -H? 3G? Wifi?)? We also need that to know which ROM you might need to reinstall on your device. Apparently there are a few guides and a flash tool to install a stock ROM from recovery mode on Youtube and XDA, hopefully they're not sketchy...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqt2743ij6I You also probably want to avoid using any chinese rooting applications like kingroot or vroot. If its at all possible to download the original ROM and USB drivers from Lenovo themselves, that would be best. But first, just try again as outlined in my post above. As long as you can get into your recovery, there is usually some chance of fixing it, although hardware failure with age can't be ruled out.

Edited by Myew

Hi everyone

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

I have tried countless times as well as all the other options available on the menu but to no avail.

I believe what Myew said is correct and the only way to recover this is by doing what is suggested.

But to be honest, I cannot be bothered to use up my time doing this.

The tablet is old and anything that I had on it like my recent convention notes have been wiped  off anyway 🙁

So I came up with another solution

I ordered an iPad which came yesterday.

So goodbye Android, hello IOS 😀

Thanks for all the suggestions but I am happy with my solution ( except for my lost convention notes)

index.jpg.8efd9569968b461ce0c052a3c8ce90e0.jpg

Bye and thanks for all the fish

Edited by Catalyst

13 hours ago, Myew said:

Sorry I couldn't help, I tried my best. I use Google Docs/Keep (cloud storage) for taking notes on my phone and tablet so that they are backed up and I can access them from any device.

On the contrary, you helped me a lot. I was able to see that there was a possibilty to get the thing going again and I appreciate that.

My plan is to give it to a Brother who has both the time and the desire to see if what you suggested can be done. So all is not wasted.

Actually I usually back up my data on the cloud but this time I was too late to do it. But lesson learned. Maybe I need to do it more efficiently

In the meantime I am familiarising myself with my iPad so that is fun. 😁