JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

i got stung by a scorpion

So sorry to hear that Sis, did it die after biting you?....

When I lived near Palm Springs I used to have a couple as pets...they are neat little critters, but I did not relish the thought of getting stung....

I much preferred my tarantulas and my 8 foot Burmese Python...

I am not aware of any old school remedies for the pain, perhaps a quick search will get you some info---

How did this happen?.... contrary to what Chuck said, I think the brown one are worse. The ones I had were almost a greenish color, a yellow tint that almost glowed in the dark...

When I lived near Palm Springs I used to have a couple as pets...they are neat little critters, but I did not relish the thought of getting stung....

I am not aware of any old school remedies for the pain, perhaps a quick search will get you some info---

How did this happen?.... contrary to what Chuck said, I think the brown one are worse. The ones I had were almost a greenish color, a yellow tint that almost glowed in the dark...

Did you ever go to the pet store (Incredible creatures) in Yucca Valley when you were in Palm Springs?

Nope, never made it there....heard about it, just never went....

My BIL lived in Morongo, my flyin partner in 29, was all over the area, just not into the pet store---

That was my store, I closed it in 1994. I bred albino Burmese pythons among many other things.

Nope, never made it there....heard about it, just never went....

My BIL lived in Morongo, my flyin partner in 29, was all over the area, just not into the pet store---

That was my store, I closed it in 1994. I bred albino Burmese pythons among many other things.

well now, small world, aint it?

I lived in DHS from '91 to '97...right around '94 I met a young lady(thru common snakey friends) that had just acquired a pair of albino Burmese, a male and a female, one 14', the other around 11'....might these have been yours?...makes you wonder.......

This girl, to be nice about it, was a whack-job, full on nut case, kinda spooky to be around...I went to her house, once, to see the snakes....she had torn a hole in her living room floor and dug a pit about 15' deep under her living room.. that was where the snakes lived....she used an aluminum extension ladder to get down there to care for them, pulling it up into the room when done....

She asked me to go down in that hole with her to check something out.:scared::nope: I made some kind of excuse and burned rubber outta there, never looked back--did find out, tho, how squirrely a 924 can get on dirt roads, when pushed kinda hard ::o

Sorry about the thread drift:offtopic:...............

I think I know who you're talking about and you're right, she was "disturbed". She used to buy feeders from me. As you know, Burmese when raised from a young age and handled a lot are very tame. Her's were not. She once wanted me to come and help her drag them out of that hole she kept them in because they were too much for her to handle. She made the mistake of feeding them in the same place she kept them, so there were always ready to strike when anything moved. It's been too many years and I don't remember her name. I sold my breeders to someone in San bernardino.

I also got out of it :)

We'd best take this conversation to PM if we continue it. It's only fair to the Dawn. Who we hope is recovering nicely! :)

Yes, I was asleep and woke up to this incredible burning on my leg. I went to the kitchen for some ice, but the burning would not stop.

I went to work with the pain, and a few hours later my leg went numb - I was in a training session for work, and told the teacher I think I was stung

by a scorpion--I said "think" because I did not see one, but i know that there are scorpions around--He said that if it were him, he would go to the ER.

I did not, was holding on for it to subside. Then Yesterday when I was changing my bed linen, there it was a dead light brown scorpion in my bed---I guess I killed it!!---(that's some serious holy spirit) just kiddin'..............So tekman, do they die after stinging you? that was weird, a really bad sting.......

Visit my website: www.Hcgessentials.com

Growth Demands Change!

I'm so sorry Dawn for your tribulation. I hope you will feel better soon. I hear they have lots of rattlers in AZ also, be careful.

thanks, i didn't expect this type of tribulation as well.....

Growth Demands Change!

Oh no!! I'm so sorry. I've read that is can quite painful. Hopefully your's isn't bad.

:ohmy:

Ohh that kind of thing freaks me out... we don't even have as much as a snake in this country ... hope your leg stops hurting soon Dawn :kisscheek:

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

I had to do a search on the critters....these are for you Dawnmarie :flowers:Scorpions come in a variety of colors—from tan to light brown to black. Each has a long tail segment that contains a stinger. Scorpions occur naturally in South, West and North Africa; North, Central and South America; India; and the Caribbean. Among the scorpions in North America, the 'unpleasant' ones are typically to be found in Arizona, New Mexico and on the Californian side of the Colorado River, whereas the other North American species are fairly harmless. Scorpions are nocturnal animals and, therefore, typically only emerge at night. They often hide in dark cracks and vegetation. Ideally, accommodation should have a ledge that's at least 20cm high to prevent entry of scorpions. In areas with scorpions, it's also necessary to watch out for dark hiding places indoors: in cupboards, under the duvet and bed, or in shoes (look under the duvet and bed, and shake your shoes thoroughly before putting them on).

70858=3938-images.jpeg Arizona Bark Scorpion The majority of scorpions are harmless to humans, although the sting is extremely painful and will require painkilling treatment. The following may be observed in cases of moderate to more serious poisoning: malaise, sweating, heart palpitations, rise in blood pressure, salivation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. These symptoms should be treated in a similar way to snake bites, and a doctor should be consulted as quickly as possible. hyperacute (typically allergic) reactions in the form of blurring of consciousness, unconsciousness, convulsions, fall in blood pressure, shock and consequently the threat of death may occur.

Yes, I was asleep and woke up to this incredible burning on my leg. I went to the kitchen for some ice, but the burning would not stop.

I went to work with the pain, and a few hours later my leg went numb - I was in a training session for work, and told the teacher I think I was stung

by a scorpion--I said "think" because I did not see one, but i know that there are scorpions around--He said that if it were him, he would go to the ER.

I did not, was holding on for it to subside. Then Yesterday when I was changing my bed linen, there it was a dead light brown scorpion in my bed---I guess I killed it!!---(that's some serious holy spirit) just kiddin'..............So tekman, do they die after stinging you? that was weird, a really bad sting.......

Perfect place for a joke but I think I want to live.

Poor little guy.

Seriously, I hope you feel better soon.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

............So tekman, do they die after stinging you? that was weird, a really bad sting.......

My apologies Sis, I was making a poor joke at your expense--I have never been stung by a scorpion

but the things that DO bite me, DO die.......

I am glad you are doing better, sorry for your pain...

............So tekman, do they die after stinging you? that was weird, a really bad sting.......

My apologies Sis, I was making a poor joke at your expense--I have never been stung by a scorpion

but the things that DO bite me, DO die.......

I am glad you are doing better, sorry for your pain...

LOL.....I thought you were serious.....there are insects that i have read about that do die after they have committed the crime.......

Growth Demands Change!

I had to do a search on the critters....these are for you Dawnmarie :flowers:Scorpions come in a variety of colors—from tan to light brown to black. Each has a long tail segment that contains a stinger. Scorpions occur naturally in South' date=' West and North Africa; North, Central and South America; India; and the Caribbean. Among the scorpions in North America, the 'unpleasant' ones are typically to be found in Arizona, New Mexico and on the Californian side of the Colorado River, whereas the other North American species are fairly harmless. Scorpions are nocturnal animals and, therefore, typically only emerge at night. They often hide in dark cracks and vegetation. Ideally, accommodation should have a ledge that's at least 20cm high to prevent entry of scorpions. In areas with scorpions, it's also necessary to watch out for dark hiding places indoors: in cupboards, under the duvet and bed, or in shoes (look under the duvet and bed, and shake your shoes thoroughly before putting them on).[/b']

70858=3938-images.jpeg Arizona Bark Scorpion The majority of scorpions are harmless to humans, although the sting is extremely painful and will require painkilling treatment. The following may be observed in cases of moderate to more serious poisoning: malaise, sweating, heart palpitations, rise in blood pressure, salivation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. These symptoms should be treated in a similar way to snake bites, and a doctor should be consulted as quickly as possible. hyperacute (typically allergic) reactions in the form of blurring of consciousness, unconsciousness, convulsions, fall in blood pressure, shock and consequently the threat of death may occur.

Thanks Sian, --I'm glad I did not read this directly after I got stung, I certainly would have been breaking the doors down to the ER. lol........and that is exactly the scorpion that bit me. I just could not imagine the friends saying at my memorial..."can you believe it, she died from the bite of a scorpion.....not quite the way I imagined leaving this system.....lol

Growth Demands Change!

You really need to be careful who you crawl into bed with Dawn Marie...:infatuated:

Especially, brown recluses, black widows, tree bark scorpions (our variety) and Gila Monsters.

My wife has been stung 3 times over the years, the large yellow or brown scorps are harmless, the rare little white clear-transparent scorpions are the ones that cause most of the havoc. Usually nothing more than the feeling of a bee sting. But the last time we called the poison center, she had numbing of her tongue, mouth, pain up her arm, loss of coordination, and the shakes. They told us she would be fine and just to monitor her condition. Because of the varieties here It's extremely rare in Arizona to die from a scorpion sting. Rattlers are another story...

Glad to hear you are still with us, I thought you were moving into town ? They must have built the apartment complex on a massive infestation.

I feel sorry for the little critter, you didn't have to kill him...just cut-off the stinger and let him go...:D