JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

And now for the good news - Pisa is straighter

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1965 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Hey, it's still leaning, so we can still take those crazy pictures.  But the boffins have engineered a way to keep it at a safe lean, recovering from the days when it was closed for 11 years, and clouded in scaffolding as they tried to rectify. Now it's 4 cms or 1.5 inc straighter!

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/leaning-tower-of-pisa-straightens-up?cx_cid=edm:newsam:2019

22 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Hey, it's still leaning, 

Y'know, I'm gonna call that lean a design feature...

from the article:

'The medieval tower, a symbol of the power of the maritime republic of Pisa in the Middle Ages, has leaned to one side ever since building started in 1173'

So, a Maritime power, what does it have?

Ships.

What do ships do when they are under sail?

They lean....

(Sorry, I couldn't get the bolding to stop)

22 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

Y'know, I'm gonna call that lean a design feature...

Hey, do you think mom was named after the tower?

Ilene...

:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Hey, it's still leaning, so we can still take those crazy pictures.  But the boffins have engineered a way to keep it at a safe lean, recovering from the days when it was closed for 11 years, and clouded in scaffolding as they tried to rectify. Now it's 4 cms or 1.5 inc straighter!

4 cm! Uf, I was holding my breath. :lol:

The news report I heard said that they don't want to fix it too good - tourists won't come to see the perfectly vertical Tower of Pisa.

That reminds me of the story about the grown-ups  making fun of the child. They would hold out a nickle and a dime and tell the child to pick one. They would laugh hysterically when the child took the nickle, "because it was bigger".

Then someone took pity on the child and told him the dime was worth two nickles.

Child said "I know, but then the game would end".

Does this mean the other side is sinking?

They think this is a good thing?

:eek:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

17 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Does this mean the other side is sinking?

They think this is a good thing?

:eek:

Actually, yes.

On the program Engineering Catastrophes they discussed the problems with the Millennial Tower in San Francisco.

They compared the problem to the Tower of Pisa.

So, what they did in Italy was to drill many holes at a low angle until they reached under the tower. By boring out dirt, they made it so the weight of the tower would collapse the "swiss cheese" foundation, and essentially cause the tower to tilt a little bit more in the opposite direction, this correcting the tilt.

Of course, this won't work in congested San Francisco. But the theory is credible.