JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Earthquake in Sicily after Eruptions

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1941 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Key points:

• The earthquake struck before dawn on Wednesday (local time)
  • 10 people were injured, while 18 are being treated for panic attacks and shock
  • Experts say the volcano is calming down, but the activity may last for weeks

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Another part of the article:

“It toppled a Madonna statue in a church in Santa Venerina and broke up sidewalks and a stretch of highway, forcing it to close.”

Didn’t think that could ever happen. :lol1:

Sorry poor humor.  ☺️

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

Oh, that’s so close to my father's village! I’ve been to those places mentioned. It has a very destructive history. The massive 7.4 earthquake in 1693 destroyed most of the East coast of Sicily, and everything was rebuilt in the Baroque style, replacing the Medieval buildings. The faded Baroque beauty is still visible on the East coast architecture. Two thirds of the population of city of Catania  were killed and the resulting tsunami destroyed many villages along the Ionian Sea. The previous eruption of Mt Etna, a massive one in 1669, was thought to be related to this later earthquake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1693_Sicily_earthquake

Its a dangerously seismic place to live, but very beautiful, just like all volcanic/seismic areas on the earth seems to be. I’ve  lived on the slopes of Mt Etna, and climbed the summit to a “spent” crater , and I shudder every time I read about something like this. 

Edited by hatcheckgirl

20 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Oh, that’s so close to my father's village! I’ve been to those places mentioned. It has a very destructive history. The massive 7.4 earthquake in 1693 destroyed most of the East coast of Sicily, and everything was rebuilt in the Baroque style, replacing the Medieval buildings. The faded Baroque beauty is still visible on the East coast architecture. Two thirds of the population of city of Catania  were killed and the resulting tsunami destroyed many villages along the Ionian Sea. The previous eruption of Mt Etna, a massive one in 1669, was thought to be related to this later earthquake.

Its a dangerously seismic place to live, but very beautiful, just like all volcanic/seismic areas on the earth seems to be. I’ve  lived on the slopes of Mt Etna, and climbed the summit to a “spent” crater , and I shudder every time I read about something like this. 

I didn't know Sicily had such a devastating  earthquake history.  So sad for such a beautiful place.

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

Oh yes, very destructive, but very fertile and beautiful, so the peasants stayed. My father's village was completely swallowed up by the eruption in 1928. Mussolini had it rebuilt in the 1930's a few kms down the slope. It the only village with “modern” linear architecture compared to the other towns and villages. They just rebuild and wait for the next one. 🥺

My parents were born on the other side of the island in the Palermo area. The small towns of Borgetto and Vita. My Mother left when she was little, around  6 and my Dad left when he was around 25. They've only recounted stories of drought and famine in the area.

Edited by Vinnie

season for no reason

First and foremost.  May I offer my condolences to anyone who has lost loved ones due to these, 'so called natural disasters'  Thankfully we have that wonderful hope of the resurrection.  In the meantime.  I am so interested in natural history.  History, NO.  Why? because IMO with all the world history at our fingertips, mankind still hasn't learned.   The world wants peace, so mankind searches and develops more ways to destroy each other and also planet earth.

Returning to natural history.  So much is out there for us to learn.  Sir David Attenborough is so often condemned for his misleading commentaries of the natural world.  Lets be honest.  Would we,m the world over, have such knowledge of the natural world, had it not been for him.  A times he is simply reading a script.

So these world locations where people live under the threat of death, due to, natural causes.  Tropical areas like the Phillipines.  Time and again they are hit by tsusamis  often many killed.  As with volcanic erruptions etc.  Then there are locations where homes are built on hillsides.  So we might ask.  Why do people live here?

Does this GOD JEHOVAH really care for his people.  Return to the scriptures.  In the begining...Jehovah set the limits for everything.  Later.  Satan has been allowed to become the ruler of the earth.  Bros/Sis.  Here is a fine platform to open up an express ones thoughts and feelings.  Trust in Jehovah.  He is your refuge.

2 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Siamo "paesani". 😁  Have you been back to visit the relos?

Di Certo.  No, I've never been there. My parents went back and  visited their " long lost " relatives.  They enjoyed it immensely. they described it like -  It was like they never left, it felt so familiar to them.  Famiglia e sempre famiglia.  My dad really liked baking bread in a large old style stone oven, and stuff like  that.   Stuff for the new system to enjoy for me.

Off topic, sorry.  @Vinnie The move Il Gattopardo (The Leopard) is a classic based on and filmed in your part of Sicily, around the countryside of Palermo.

If anyone is interested, here is the 1928 Mt Etna eruption which covered the village of Mascali (my father's hometown). This was the first ever eruption to be filmed.  The lava flow was slow but relentless.  They had time to evacuate all their belongings and strip their houses before the lava came.  The last train left just as the wall of lava destroyed the station.  If you notice at around 2:44 mark the big icons and crosses being paraded in the vain hope they will stop the lava destroying their village.  My dad told me a story that the priest saw that all the praying was in vain, and threw statue of San Leonardo into the lava and fled. 

Man is just so puny.

My parents are from the south-west of the island. We spent most summer holidays there, such a beautiful place. My hubby always said he wanted to go to visit mount Etna one day!! Maybe after the resurrection, and when there’s no fear of devastating eruption he may get the chance.....

Edited by Jothob

35 minutes ago, Jothob said:

My parents are from the south-west of the island. We spent most summer holidays there, such a beautiful place. My hubby always said he wanted to go to visit mount Etna one day!! Maybe after the resurrection, and when there’s no fear of devastating eruption he may get the chance.....

I was thinking of going to Etna next year. It is so lovely around there.  Not sure I will go now though.

13 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

And it seems Stromboli, another volcano just north of Sicily has started erupting. Seismologists believe it’s likely related.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/mount-etna-volcano-triggers-4-8-magnitude-quake-in-sicily-italy

Something big is happening in that area.

Oh my goodness is it?  Stromboli is another place I would love to visit.

I wonder when Vesuvius will blow as well :/

14 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Oh you lived there - that must have been amazing, so beautiful.  

Yes it is terrifying what a volcano and an earthquake can do.

Edited by Naturale

@hatcheckgirl  Thanks again. I'm watching some amazing  U- tube vids on the history of  Sicily. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evVNI4XmvGc 

It's amazing to learn the history of it all and it surprised me to learn how closely intertwined we are to Greek and Spanish and other cultures. Sicily was a melting pot. For me,  it  explains a lot. I love Greek salad and souvlaki and tzatziki sauce.  :)

Haa, Haa!   My mum is Greek.  I felt naturally at home in Sicily. 😁

I looked into my family's history (not geneology, but a look into the local history of the area where my father was born), and have learned so much.  Sicily was much desired and conquered and the crossroads of every single empire of that area starting from the Greeks, Phoenicians and Carthaginians to the Romans, Byzantines, Arabs, Normans, Swabians,  French Anjou, Spanish Argonese, French Bourbons (I think I've covered them all).  And the poor people were exploited for the wealth of the land.  As is always the case with satan's system.

647874887_geographicoriginsofSicilians.png.6717a3a41d4d3aef4057b0484a087ede.png

In 59 CE Paul preached in Syracuse on the way to Rome.

Yes, we are a motley crew.

Things are settling down on Mt Etna, but scientists are not sure for how long. There is no way of knowing for sure, but there may be more flank eruptions down on lower latitudes on the SE of the summit.

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/etna/current-activity.html From the article:

A tell-tale sign that the flank eruption could only be a prelude is that magma continues to stand high inside the volcano's conduit: glow and intense gas and steam emissions are visible from the Bocca Nuova, producing a tall plume rising vertically into the evening sky. The recent eruption has drained only very little of the available magma....

Even though the current surface phenomena are weakening, the general decrease in eruptive activity could be misleading: information obtained from geophysical cannot exclude that magma supply into the same dike that fed the recent eruption is still in progress, and could open its way with new fissures down to altitudes beneath 2,400 m, especially in the area of the southern and western walls of Valle del Bove.