JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Drunk on Vanilla Extract!

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2004 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://wgntv.com/2019/01/26/driver-arrested-for-being-under-the-influence-of-vanilla-extract/?fbclid=IwAR0_qcPIYDaGQ-CYYnZOEdsgq8ctqOC6Fmn2ImWMpLcxG83VOJqcPRPzplI

NEW CANAAN, Conn. — Police say a Connecticut woman charged with driving under the influence was drunk on vanilla extract, which contains a significant amount of alcohol.

Hearst Connecticut Media reports that New Canaan police found 50-year-old Stefanie Warner-Grise sitting in a car at an intersection with her eyes closed at about 4:45 p.m. Wednesday.Officers say they found several bottles of pure vanilla extract inside her vehicle.

They say they detected an odor of vanilla on her breath, her speech was slurred and she was unable to answer basic questions.

Police say she was arrested after failing field sobriety tests.

Warner-Grise was released on a promise to appear in court. No lawyer was listed for her in online court records.

7AAA2E8C-901A-47B8-B829-ACFE62E6096D.jpeg

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

Pure vanilla essence is potent. In Australia the alcohol content must be displayed on alcoholic drink bottles.
However 'essences' slipped through the net as they were not considered 'drinks'.
This was until after one school child died after drinking too much 'essence.' It was 80 proof. He was found 2 days later.
http://www.abc.net.au/pm/stories/s314745.htm

Just Older

In Canada years ago when I was younger, they stopped selling pure extract in big bottles due to the abuse.

Alcoholics would buy them since it was cheaper than regular booze. Now pure vanilla comes in expensive little bottles.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

My daughter manages an ALDI's grocery store and she passes on some crazy insane stories.  A couple of months ago, a female customer picked up an entire case of vanilla extract.  She then placed the case of vanilla, inside another empty cardboard box and walked around the store with it.

Next, she went to the restroom but before entering, she set down the cardboard box on the floor next to the entrance to the bathroom, to make it appear that she was leaving it there while using the restroom.  In reality, she had placed the outside box on the floor and quickly removed the inside case of vanilla which she brought into the bathroom with her.

She left behind an entire case of empty vanilla extract bottles in the bathroom - discovered after she was long gone. 

Can you even imagine drinking a case of vanilla extract?!?  :nope:  :drink:  

(Deuteronomy 28:3)  “Blessed you will be in the city, and blessed you will be in the field.

Being blessed by Jehovah is not contingent on location, assignment or circumstances. 

1 hour ago, EccentricM said:

I had no idea vanilla could be alcoholic!

All extracts (almond, vanilla, lemon etc) and medicinal tinctures are made by soaking the item, vanilla beans in this case, in alcohol for a period of time, typically 6-8 weeks.  Once completed, you're left with the flavored alcohol.  The only way around this process is to grate the vanilla bean - not very practical.

During "cold" season, I make elderberry (immunity boosting) tincture by placing elderberries in vodka for 6 weeks and then straining - take a teaspoon at a time to prevent illness.

I also make a syrup by boiling the elderberries and then adding honey - just like taking cough syrup.

Extracts are to be used sparingly for cooking & baking, it's all alcohol - 80 proof = 40% pure alcohol.

These people drinking extract are basically doing vodka "shots."

(Deuteronomy 28:3)  “Blessed you will be in the city, and blessed you will be in the field.

Being blessed by Jehovah is not contingent on location, assignment or circumstances. 

38 minutes ago, Loje said:

All extracts (almond, vanilla, lemon etc) and medicinal tinctures are made by soaking the item, vanilla beans in this case, in alcohol for a period of time, typically 6-8 weeks.  Once completed, you're left with the flavored alcohol.  The only way around this process is to grate the vanilla bean - not very practical.

During "cold" season, I make elderberry (immunity boosting) tincture by placing elderberries in vodka for 6 weeks and then straining - take a teaspoon at a time to prevent illness.

I also make a syrup by boiling the elderberries and then adding honey - just like taking cough syrup.

Extracts are to be used sparingly for cooking & baking, it's all alcohol - 80 proof = 40% pure alcohol.

Since alchohol boils (evaporates at 173 f.) far below the tmperature of boiling water, one need not worry about too much alchohol remaining in cooked food, it is long gone. The remaining extracted flavors may be too strong for tastes but any buzz is totally imaginary.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

45 minutes ago, Loje said:

I drank half a small bottle of vanilla essence, and felt unaffected, I loved the taste though, lol. Hence my surprise. Unless that's different stuff.

Edited by EccentricM

22 minutes ago, Old said:

Since alchohol boils (evaporates at 173 f.) far below the tmperature of boiling water, one need not worry about too much alchohol remaining in cooked food, it is long gone. The remaining extracted flavors may be too strong for tastes but any buzz is totally imaginary.

Jerry - Yes, no problem in cooked food.  However, the extracts if used directly from the bottle, have not been boiled - the alcohol remains.

Matthew - half a small bottle is probably about 1 oz of alcohol, less than one shot which would be 1.5 ozs.  which is why you didn't feel it.  Drink a couple of bottles and you would - NOT RECOMMENDING THAT YOU DRINK ANYMORE EXTRACTS!!  :facepalmpo2:

The irony is that vanilla extract is FAR more expensive than vodka.  However, it is readily available in grocery stores and no doubt easier to pocket, if that is your goal.

LOL, we've come full circle, from talking about a woman drinking vanilla extract to drinking it ourselves!  Yep, I just drank 1 teaspoon of it.  It's nearly (there is a small bit of water in it) the strength of vodka but will never be my drink of choice, for sure.  Really hoping this doesn't turn into a "Vanilla Extract Challenge."  

All this talk about vanilla gave me a sudden urge to bake cookies.

vanilla chug.jpg

6 hours ago, Hope said:

An 8 oz bottle of pure Madagascar Vanilla extract costs $54.95

I haven't seen a bottle any near that size in Canada in 50 years..

8 hours ago, Old said:

Since alchohol boils (evaporates at 173 f.) far below the tmperature of boiling water, one need not worry about too much alchohol remaining in cooked food, it is long gone

Not my wife's RumRumRum Cake. She melts butter and sugar in a pan then adds 1/2 cup Rum ( spiced works really well - there is a 1/2 cup in mixing batter for flavor too ). Immediately it is poured into the bunt cake pan and allowed to soak up the mixture.

Don't eat and drive. :eat::nope::scooter::oops:

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping: