JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Selective Service Now include women?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1878 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I was reading various news articles and came across this : https://timesofsandiego.com/military/2019/02/23/san-diego-based-mens-group-wins-u-s-suit-women-must-register-for-draft/

It says "Even though America hasn’t had a military draft since 1973, men — but not women — are required to register with the Selective Service. A federal judge Friday said that must change — ordering the government to register women 18-25 as well. U.S. District Judge Gray H. Miller in Houston agreed with the San Diego-based National Coalition for Men and granted its request for summary judgment in a class action suit. “The male-only registration requirement of the Military Selective Service Act, 50 U.S.C. § 3802(a), violates the Due Process Clause of the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution,” says Miller’s “final judgment.”

And it reference what looks like a class suit action : https://ncfm.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/190224-SELECTIVE-SERVICE-DECISION-full.pdf

Is this legit or someone just wasting their time? I am not familiar with the newspaper so I thought maybe someone here might know.

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

1 hour ago, cricket246 said:

Even though America hasn’t had a military draft since 1973, men — but not women — are required to register with the Selective Service. A federal judge Friday said that must change — ordering the government to register women 18-25 as well.

I have thought that this might happen..pray for our sisters if it is true!😯

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/24/us/military-draft-men-unconstitutional.html It spread all the way to the New York Times, but it was just a declaration - nothing the government has to act on, I guess he's just "advising" them lol.

The Pentagon declined to comment on Sunday.

Judge Miller’s ruling was declaratory, and it did not specify any action that the government must take to comply.

The ruling comes at a time when an advisory panel, the National Commission on Military, National, and Public Service, is studying the draft system, considering whether it should continue and whether women should be included.

“Personally, I don’t think we will remain with the status quo,” Joe Heck, the chairman of the commission, told USA Today in January. “But where we end up on the spectrum is yet to be determined.”

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

Seems only fair that in this era of equal rights and equality that women would be subject to the draft equally.  People cannot demand to be treated equally on the one hand, then expect preferential treatment on the other.  

Women can serve in front line combat positions just like men.  Why should they be exempt from selective service?

We just need the Kingdom.

https://www.inspire2serve.gov/reports/interim#universalServiceConsidering

(This is a government website about the committee) It looks like the government formed a committee to review the selective service and are now considering changing it, scrapping it or taking a more drastic approach : The Commission is charged with considering a range of proposals to strengthen the pathways to service, help the nation defend itself against future adversaries, and break down barriers to military, national, and public service. Below are some examples of alternatives that we intend to discuss at public hearings and in continued conversations with the American people in the coming months. (They are discussing universal service.)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/02/25/federal-judge-all-male-draft-unconstitutional-now-what-selective-service/2979346002/

The all male draft was considered unconstitutional, so we may see selective service requirement and compulsory military service in the US for women as well as men. So, in the future, if any wars break out before the "call for peace and security", we might have to be concerne for our sisters being just as ill treated for our stance on neutrality as the brothers.

I just want respect, to be treated like a human being lol,  not to register for the draft 🤣 They either take it too far one way or the other.... No wonder Jehovah said people would be backwards in the last days...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/03/05/male-military-draft-elizabeth-kyle-labell-lawsuit-constitutional-selective-service/3066858002/

As has been my experience, every brother has been required to register for selective service since it was instituted. There's notifications in the US KM's going back many years. 

I registered when I turned 18. When i reported for bethel service in 86 one of the forms I was given was to register my new address. (I had not done so previously as I had changed locations. didn't know I needed to.)

Many brother's I've met over the years registered and were called up for service in Vietnam. One brother I was close to was jailed for not taking the induction oath. he was 20yrs older than me but was a friend all the same.

I've teased my daughters about having to register eventually until they turn 26 as my 18yo son has.  It's not a big deal. the big deal comes when you have to report. 
selective service registration is recognized as paying Caesars things to Caesar by the body. If it changes to include women so be it. nothing has really changed.