JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Moving to a new server

In an effort to increase the speed and efficiency of JWTalk, I will be moving the site to a new server soon.

Our current VPS server is a shared-core environment with 3.25 GB of RAM and 90 GB of disk space (we are using 45 to date). It is a normal hard drive.

The new VPS server will have 2 dedicated cores, 4 GB of RAM, and 100 GB of disk space. However, this is a SSD drive.

Our current CPU load averages at the time of this writing this are "0.71 0.85 0.92" (those are 1, 5, and 15 minute averages), which means we're utilizing less than 1 core's worth of processor time. Over the last 8 hours, our load never got above 1.3. Since we will be utilizing dedicated CPU cores instead along with an SSD drive, we likely will see a performance improvement. 

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

19 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

Can you please give me a link to the donate button.

1 minute ago, Tortuga said:

Appreciate it. The new server will average $6.50 more per month. If we integrate the IPS Blogs app or the Babble Chat app this would boost it a bit also.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

3 minutes ago, SheyZ said:

Wow! Dismal_Bliss

I know who to go to for computer questions. I have no Idea what all the details you are talking about though. Greek to me! 😅😂🤣

That's why we hired him....

:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

36 minutes ago, SheyZ said:

Wow! Dismal_Bliss

I know who to go to for computer questions. I have no Idea what all the details you are talking about though. Greek to me! 😅😂🤣

6 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

The new VPS server will have 2 dedicated cores, 4 GB of RAM, and 100 GB of disk space. However, this is a SSD drive.

This should be a minimum of a slight performance boost. The dedicated cores and the SSD drive will hopefully lessen the amount of "Is the site acting slow for anyone else today" type comments, lol. There are certain functions that I do as an administrator that really tax the board, making it hang for 30+ seconds or so when I execute them. And then if I we host our own chat (something that we used to have and some members want back) then the extra speed will be helpful.

The next available package would have 4 dedicate cores and 6 GB of RAM (and more space) which, while they are amazing specs, are probably overkill for our current needs. This one comes at a more significant price jump as well, so well hold off as it may never be necessary. We shall see.

I'm gonna initiate the server change. It will be from one machine to another machine in the same datacenter in Texas. The transition should be seamless except for when it is done I need to restart the server. Once the migration is complete and everything is working, I will need to replace EasyApache3 with EasyApache4 so that I can upgrade to PHP 7. The software we use to power JWTalk will no longer support the version of PHP that we currenty use.

In short, 2 things are holding us back from the current available software upgrade -> no PHP 7, and no Tapatalk compatibility yet.

6 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

Dear Rob,

Can you please give me a link to the donate button. I do not see it on my app, and it's about time I chipped in again. (PayPal pls)

Thanks for your hard work.

Tony

Just Older emoji856.png

Yep, I am hitting donate button next week too...yes, I am joining the voice :Thank you Bob for your hard work , appreciated.

This forum is priceless

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

21 minutes ago, SheyZ said:

Are you going to put the option to put a black screen with white words? I would really like... Thanks so much Brother👍

I'm working on it. I still have some bugs to work out. Some areas of the site don't show up well. It's a work in progress. :)

You can follow the development here:

https://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/39485-a-dark-mode-theme-poll/?do=getNewComment

workingonit.jpg

17 hours ago, SheyZ said:

Wow! Dismal_Bliss

He basically means that JWTalk will be moved to a new and more advanced computer. That way everything will work faster and Bob will be able to update the site to a newer version. :)

On 3/1/2019 at 12:17 PM, Tortuga said:

Do the moderators still get the 10% discount you promised?

:popcorn::lol:

They told you 10% hmmm ... I must be doing something better. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

2 hours ago, Stormswift said:

You got a better promise...:lol:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 3/1/2019 at 6:19 PM, Stormswift said:

On 3/1/2019 at 8:27 PM, Tortuga said:

You got a better promise...:lol:

You gotta learn to negotiate better, Richard :P

I place my order for the new VPS server. Now we wait.

On 3/1/2019 at 8:43 PM, Dismal_Bliss said:

You gotta learn to negotiate better, Richard :P

By what I'm td Richard is a very shy retiring character that needs to come 'out of his shell more'.. Might be true... :)

I place my order for the new VPS server. Now we wait.

I think, secretly Jehovah has a set of angels around to help in this... 

His blessing at least..! 

4 hours ago, Alan said:

I think, secretly Jehovah has a set of angels around to help in this... 

His blessing at least..! 

His celestial IT department :D

6 minutes ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

His celestial IT department :D

Server transition will be taking place this morning. I've gotta take the lead in the ministry so hopefully JWTalk is still here when I return :praying:

53 minutes ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

Server transition will be taking place this morning. I've gotta take the lead in the ministry so hopefully JWTalk is still here when I return :praying:

So far so goo

16 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

Are we there yet.... ?
Are we there yet.... ?

Yes, we're officially on the new server.

My next step is to upgrade to EasyApache 4 - this will result in some minor downtime.

Then my next step is to upgrade to from PHP 5.6 to PHP 7.1 - I'm not sure how this will affect downtime.

I'm home now to work on this.

Now if the boys at Tapatalk would finally update their server side plugin, we could finally upgrade to IPS 4.4