JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Arts and Culture from around the world

An opportunity to know and understand our brothers and sisters from the various lands.

Arts : Music, songs, movies, prose writing, poetry, dancing, sculpture, painting, fashion, handicraft(weaving, embroidery, Batik) etc

Culture : People (ethnic groups) Basic local words for Tourists, Cuisine (Food, cooking) education, customs(taboo) etc

Many South East Asian people love Hindi movies and although they may not know the language, they will happily sing along. What a great way to learn a new language! 

Nothing like knowing a few local words to break the ice with natives when travelling abroad.

Hindi Movie Sangam

Song : Bol Radha Bol 

Singer : Mukesh and Vyjaiantimala

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z_wjuV5rxE  (with Hindi subtitles)

Mere mann ki Ganga                                         The river Ganga of my heart

Aur tere mann ki Jamuna ka                            The river Jamuna of your heart

Bol Radha bol sangam hoga ke nahi              Tell me Radha, will they unite or not

Mere mann ki Ganga                                         The river Ganga of my heart

Aur tere mann ki Jamuna ka                            The river Jamuna of your heart

Bol Radha bol sangam hoga ke nahi              Tell me Radha, will they unite or not

Arre bol Radha bol sangam hoga ke nahi      Tell me Radha, will they unite or not

On 4/27/2019 at 6:02 PM, ivy said:

I remembered a Hindi movie that was hit when I was a kid: Kuch kuch hota hai...

And, oh! I have just recently watched a good movie by salman khan, talking about a boy with dyslexia...

I missed watching Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. Heard it was very good. Not really into movies and I watch the Hindi ones on TV. Haven't switch on my TV for ages. Have actually forgotten how to use the remote. Depending on Netflix which is only USD 7 per month. Even then, hardly have time for it.

That movie Taare Zameen Par sounds so interesting. Thanks for the invaluable tip. Didn't know that Indian movie producers are into such serious stuff although I have read recently about some really excellent ones, besides the usual 'song and dance' movies.

The film explores the life and imagination of Ishaan, an 8-year-old dyslexic child. Although he excels in art, his poor academic performance leads his parents to send him to a boarding school. Ishaan's new art teacher suspects that he is dyslexic and helps him to overcome his disability. Darsheel Safary stars as 8-year-old Ishaan, and Aamir Khan plays his art teacher. Principal photography took place in Mumbai and in Panchgani's New Era High School, and some of the school's students make appearances.

taarezameenpar-2s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Kunming, China a few years back and was so impressed with the embroidery skills of the village girls. Each intricately stitched piece was inexpensive and framed with a light trained on it, makes for a dazzling centrepiece in a home. Credit cards accepted.

The Baisha Naxi embroidery institutes I visited was in Dali. There are many such places around Yulong in the district of Yunnan, South China. 

image.png.2b31c06f6b8f3126c46e8d7c73fece12.png

A photo from a Tripadvisor contributor.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.my/Attraction_Review-g1229994-d2401061-Reviews-Baisha_Naxi_Embroidery_Institute-Yulong_County_Yunnan.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=97241327

There is a high speed train from Guangzhou to Kunming.

Edited by M'Awan

I was taught Greek dancing as a teenager, and it was always fun to dance with the congregation at weddings and parties.  I don't remember all the steps anymore.  Need practice! 

Here's seven traditional Greek Dances.  To our Greek speaking brothers and sisters, we know there are variations to these dances.  Maybe you can add your thoughts too. 

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/greece/articles/7-traditional-greek-dances-you-should-know-about/

Image result for greek dancing

Dear Lucy thanks for that fascinating video. Should watch the movie 'My Big Fat Greek wedding'. Next time we have a gathering we should try dancing for a change instead of just games and stuffing ourselves silly. Even line dancing will help to reduce the likelihood of dementia in old age. SO put on your dancing shoes!!! Didn't know about your Greek heritage. Or have I already forgotten. Friends, dementia is reaching epidemic proportions. Do something, anything to stop this preventable disease. Good health to all. At the moment I'm on holiday in East Malaysia for 8 days. Whoa! Way to go..10 bible studies per publisher here.

Edited by M'Awan

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2019 at 6:02 PM, ivy said:

I remembered a Hindi movie that was hit when I was a kid: Kuch kuch hota hai...

And, oh! I have just recently watched a good movie by salman khan, talking about a boy with dyslexia...

Found the song Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, karaoke style. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9DsCP9Th7Y

Brings back sweet memories but as I said I didn't bother to watch the movie. Just like Hindi songs and by extension, Hindi language. But never had time to learn the language though. Perhaps I don't know anyone who speaks that language. I did buy a book to learn that language. Never got round to learning it though.

Enjoy. feeling it the simpsons GIF

Edited by M'Awan