JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How to increase the nutritional value of homemade pizza by substituting the white flour.

Description of the various crusts and accompanying pictures

Story of Pizza

Edited by M'Awan

So glad you use whole flour for your crust. I have never eaten one before. But I guess, I will need to get my taste buds to adjust to it. At one time, I didn't like wholemeal bread and brown rice. Now, I can't stand the alternatives. The problem with brown rice is that you will have to soak  the grains for hours and then replace the water after boiling the rice for a while. Tedious.

In my area, I have never come across Neapolitan pizza made with unbleached/non-bromated flour,  as per the post by Brother John. Need to scout around more diligently. I would think the Indochinese countries would have such premium quality pizzas. 

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com

There are two ways to eat pizza: The unhealthy way (with extra meat like pepperoni and sausage), or the healthy way loaded with veggies.

Regardless, one slice of regular crust pizza has about 285 calories. Since pizza is still a  source of saturated fat (about five grams) and chock-full of sodium, limit it to once a week and load up on those veggies

Edited by M'Awan

Just found out this. 

https://livingmaxwell.com

Another Reason to Eat Organic – No Potassium Bromate in Your Bread

Potassium bromate is an additive used in flour which strengthens the dough and allows it to rise higher. Furthermore, it gives the finished bread an appealing white color.

But, the problem is that this additive is also linked to cancer.

In 1999, the International Agency on Research for Cancer declared that potassium bromate was a possible human carcinogen, which means that it possibly causes cancer.

Here are some other things for you to know about potassium bromate:

– It is not allowed for use or is banned as a food additive in a number of countries, including UK, Canada, Brazil and the European Union.

Yewww, how much of potassium bromate have I ingested! Thank goodness I have just bought a new Panasonic bread maker from the thrift shop for 28 pounds.

I think I should follow your example and cut down on my sugars and bleached flour.

Here's to better health. 

6 hours ago, M'Awan said:

There are two ways to eat pizza: The unhealthy way (with extra meat like pepperoni and sausage), or the healthy way loaded with veggies.

While this type of pizza may be your preferred way - please refrain from calling/labeling others choice of toppings "unhealthy" in this thread.

I do not want this forum/club to become a "meat" verses "vegan/vegetarian" debate.

Thank You

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

9 hours ago, M'Awan said:

Could you edit out that comments or just delete the posts.

It should be noted that the ability to edit or delete posts is not among the actions that an "owner" of a club is granted.

9 hours ago, M'Awan said:

I was just quoting from the website goodhousekeeping.com.

When quoting from a website, I find it helps to either

"enclose the text in quote marks"

or

use the quote box

that way there is no doubt that it is a quote

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, shali said:

Does anyone have a recipe for a nice  thin, crispy crust?  All mine turn out soft.  Is gluten free flour best to use for pizza crust?  How about bread flour?

I find if it's too soft, you might not have enough yeast. At least that's my own experience with wholeflower...  but for "really crispy"? I'm not sure.

5 hours ago, shali said:

Is gluten free flour best to use for pizza crust?

No ... gluten is essential for proper dough texture when making pizza and bread.

There are "gluten free" breads and pizzas - but they will not have the texture commonly expected when eating pizza.

I have found that a dough that is "too soft" is either over-proofed, has too much yeast or not enough gluten development.

Bread flour is fine for making pizza crust.

To get a "crispy" crust, make the crust thinner and cook it at a hotter temp - if you can.

Edited by Qapla

• 9 months later...

shali--I am on my way to work but will try and find a pizza crust recipe I used before.  I have not made it in many years because life has gotten in the way of my having a good time.  There were tips written to make it a custom crust from many different sources.  It was crispy yet airy with a very bubbly crust.  It was more like a cracker crust that you could hear like a chip when you bit into it.  That may be too crispy for you but for me it was perfect.  You could even put a good amount of sauce on it without it becoming soggy and still it was crispy!  I remember it also was perfect when we used the outdoor pizza oven because the temperatures were so much hotter.  The stone we would heat up and then someone told me to quit using the stone because that was what the floor of the oven was for!  I went to a restaurant store in LA and bought the pizza spatula that was the size of an orr for a boat!  You slid it in and removed it with the same spatula.  There was a definite learning curb using it.  If I remember correctly it was 6 minutes for the pizza to cook. We had friends who had a pizza oven they had shipped from italy and it was all stone they had to hire someone to build when it came over.  I work of art this oven was!  If you use a charcoal grill you can still have good results!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Leslie,

Good to hear from you - it has been a while since I have seen a post from you.

If you are cooking in a home oven, one thing that helps crisp up the crust is to bake it directly on a stone. You need the stone to be quite hot. Put the stone in the oven and pre-heat it for at least an hour with the oven set for 500º F or more before placing the pizza on the stone.

The position of the rack in the oven will make a difference in how the pizza cooks. The closer to the bottom the more the crust will cook from the bottom, the closer to the top, the more the toppings will cook while also crisping the crust. The middle of the oven will tend to even out the time between crust and toppings .... but may not cook the crust quite as crisp as the other two positions.