JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Traveling to Australia for the International Convention - Need all the tips and suggestions we can get

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1652 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Is the cane toad as big of a problem as they say or is it bigger? 

What about the rabbit fence. Is that a sight to see or just a thing to chat about?

Parrots are native to the rainforests in Australia. Is it easy to go see them in the wild or is there an aviary somewhere to see them best?

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

2 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Parrots are native to the rainforests in Australia. Is it easy to go see them in the wild or is there an aviary somewhere to see them best?

In my park ..next door.

Often you see parrots in the suburbs.. (especially eastern suburbs of Melbourne - which is less industrial)

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

What about the rabbit fence. Is that a sight to see or just a thing to chat about?

Cane toads are a serious problem, but I would not waste time seeing one. Parrots, Galas, Rosellas and Cockatoos are pretty prolific. Most zoo or sanctuaries would have some. Currumbin Wildlife Santuary in Gold Coast (QLD) or Healesville Santuary near Melb (Vic) would be my suggestion.

Rabbit fence.... Like cane toads, there are better things to see.

Just Older

Just now, TonyWenz said:

Cane toads are a serious problem, but I would not waste time seeing one. Parrots, Galas, Rosellas and Cockatoos are pretty prolific. Most zoo or sanctuaries would have some. Currumbin Bird Santuary in Gold Coast or Healesville Santuary near Melb would be my suggestion.
Rabbit fence.... Like cane toads, there are better things to see.

Just Older emoji856.png

I would just travel here for decent coffee with donut! LOL ..forget parrots ..LOL :drink:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

18 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Little kid feeding parrots near where I live..

1-IMG_0526.jpg

I saw a lot of cockatoos in Hall's Gap. Raiding the trashcans. I believe there are signs telling visitors not to feed the wild animals like parrots and kangaroos. Human food is bad for kangaroos and make them more likely to attack humans.

One Indian man was feeding the kangaroos, muruku in the field next to my hostel. The locals quite sportingly just stood around and didn't say a word. 

they become dependent on us for food and they also have a liking for Western Red Cedar...which is what a lot of the local houses are made of. So eventually, they'll eat your house.....well, bits of it. They really are great birds though, with heaps of character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uHI6OGMvXI

Edited by M'Awan

• 3 months later...

Hello dear brothers and sisters,

Greetings to all! Thank you for all your messages and suggestions so far. They have been really helpful in knowing the landscape of this great land. 

We are very excited as the day of our travel comes nearby. We will be in Melbourne from 18th Nov to 26th Nov  and then will visit the Gold Coast for 3 days and then Sydney for 3 days after Gold Coast and then fly back to Mumbai on 5th December.

We are really excited and are looking forward to making some life-long friends when we get to meet them in this trip and enjoy our brotherhood in the International Convention. We just needed some help in finding some inexpensive accommodation in Gold Coast and Sydney. We are a bit tight on budget and hence are looking out for some inexpensive places to stay in these 2 places. 

Any suggestions, dear brothers?

With warm Christian love and greetings.

Regards,

Dominic

12 minutes ago, Dominic Pereira said:

Hello dear brothers and sisters,

Greetings to all! Thank you for all your messages and suggestions so far. They have been really helpful in knowing the landscape of this great land. 

We are very excited as the day of our travel comes nearby. We will be in Melbourne from 18th Nov to 26th Nov  and then will visit the Gold Coast for 3 days and then Sydney for 3 days after Gold Coast and then fly back to Mumbai on 5th December.

We are really excited and are looking forward to making some life-long friends when we get to meet them in this trip and enjoy our brotherhood in the International Convention. We just needed some help in finding some inexpensive accommodation in Gold Coast and Sydney. We are a bit tight on budget and hence are looking out for some inexpensive places to stay in these 2 places. 

Any suggestions, dear brothers?

With warm Christian love and greetings.

Regards,

Dominic

I am sure, you will enjoy your trip - Melbourne - Sydney and Gold Coast will keep you busy ..so much to do so little time LOL

Have you looked up airbnb in those locations ?

The accommodation standard in Australia is very good, so even inexpensive places will be satisfying.

In which area are you staying in Melbourne?

I would also say look at airbnb.
How many are you and will you have access to a car while in Gold coast? I know some close to there but depends if you have a car and where in gold coast you want to go.... the theme parks? Or the city itself?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hello brothers and sisters,

We are a group of 5 brothers and sisters, ranging from 27 to 70 years of age.

We have a good airbnb in Gold Coast and are booking  today.

Are there any friends and sisters here with whom we can stay in Sydney for 4 days, from 1st Dec? We are very keen to actually stay with the local brothers and sisters and make some good friends. 

We will be staying at the branch-designated hotel for convention delegates in Melbourne - Bayview on the park.

Looking forward to your views dear brothers and sisters. 

Regards,

Dominic

7 hours ago, Dominic Pereira said:

Are there any friends and sisters here with whom we can stay in Sydney for 4 days, from 1st Dec? We are very keen to actually stay with the local brothers and sisters and make some good friends. 

Hi Dominic,

I am not able to help you with any accommodation, but I come from Sydney originally and may be able to help you pick a better area to rent if you can't get accommodation with brothers.  Sydney's transport is quite hectic, and if you choose a cheaper accommodation out in the western suburbs, you will waste a lot of time getting back into the city.  Look for inner city suburbs from the city down Anzac Parade to Botany Bay. Avoid Redfern area as this is a bit rough.  I did a quick search on airbnb, and for 4 nights for 5 people you can get a whole house for a reasonable price around $500-$600.  Please PM me if you need any help.  Your itinerary is ambitious, but you will enjoy the Gold Coast after Melbourne.  I too am heading to the Melbourne assembly.

Note: to get to Bethel, the train from Green Square gets you directly to Ingleburn Station and then taxi to Bethel in an hour.

https://transportnsw.info/trip#/?wSpeed=4&wDuration=20&itFromMode=walk&itToMode=walk&routeFilter=time&metro&train&bus&ferry&lightRail&coach&schoolBus=false&accessible=false&arrDep=dep&opalOnly=false&from=suburbID:95301031:1:Waterloo:4889482:3758963:GDAV&to=10101293&selectedWalkDuration=20&selectedCycleDuration=20&selectedDriveDuration=20&dateTime=201910140930

Edited by hatcheckgirl

add more info

On 10/12/2019 at 4:10 PM, Dominic Pereira said:

Hello brothers and sisters,

We are a group of 5 brothers and sisters, ranging from 27 to 70 years of age.

We have a good airbnb in Gold Coast and are booking  today.

We will be staying at the branch-designated hotel for convention delegates in Melbourne - Bayview on the park.

Looking forward to your views dear brothers and sisters. 

Regards,

Dominic

You could pick an area in Sydney and ring the congregation, the COBE will be able to let you know who has some room available.