JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Walkie Talkies, GMRS, FRS, 2 Way Radios

I was wondering if anyone could give advice or has experience in using long range GMRS or FRS 2 way radios / walkie talkies?

Here in the US we must have a license for GMRS, but these have much longer range than FRS.

Are there any radios you recommend?

I have seen a variety of reviews and there are many different opinions, and many products state they are long range but many reviews by users explain that they could only get short ranges.

I am not experienced with such radios, so any thoughts, suggestions I will appreciate, thanks

radio GIF

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

I have used the RCA and Midland radios (and a Garmin unit that ( bought for GPS features).

The long-range noted on the retail packaging is maximum and optimistic.  If it says "26-miles" that would be from one mountain top to another mountain top with no obstructions, trees or buildings across a large valley.  In reality the range on such a unit might only be 3 or 4 miles in regular use.  Even less in a big city with tall buildings.

The license for the additional channels in the GMRS frequencies is just a form.  There are many options (special codes and notification sounds and so on.  You may have to change channels in more congested areas if several people are using the same as you are at the same time.  Our family uses these devices when we travel in two cars together especially is one of the groups gets out of sight.  My granddaughter used to carry one with her when she went walking in the woods near our house so she could check in with the family or respond to our call to come home.

2 hours ago, jwhess said:

Our family uses these devices when we travel in two cars together especially is one of the groups gets out of sight. 

We have used it on the cruises for personal communication (some of those ships are huge and cell/mobile phone does not have reception)

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

2 hours ago, jwhess said:

I have used the RCA and Midland radios

3 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

We have used it on the cruises for personal communication (some of those ships are huge and cell/mobile phone does not have reception)

John, Greg, which models do you have if I may ask?

And are you happy with these or do you wish you would have bought different ones?

Thanks for your input (tu)

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

18 minutes ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

John, Greg, which models do you have if I may ask?

And are you happy with these or do you wish you would have bought different ones?

Thanks for your input (tu)

I don't remember the model (I was given one from another member of the family)

I suspect they were Uniden UH750-2

I would never buy "cheap ones (any product) - as I often upgraded to better ones down the line" same goes to 2-radio ways (just my hint)

Edited by New World Explorer

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

18 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

Good policy to have, if you're going to use it more than one time.

Buy once, cry once...

I have run out of tears .... now I just swallow, and drop my arms down with resignation LOL :lol1:

7 hours ago, jwhess said:

Our family uses these devices when we travel in two cars together especially is one of the groups gets out of sight.  My granddaughter used to carry one with her when she went walking in the woods near our house so she could check in with the family or respond to our call to come home.

We have found this to be a blast when traveling with a group. We helped in seldom worked territory in Utah a couple of summers ago and had four vehicles in our group round trip from Washington State. The running commentary from everyone while driving was hilarious. It also helped us keep in synch for needs to make a pit stop. Anyway, good memories and much more fun than texting.

On 8/16/2019 at 6:17 PM, Beggar for the Spirit said:

was wondering if anyone could give advice or has experience in using long range GMRS or FRS 2 way radios / walkie talkies?

Long range? Did you know, that you can call me on regular phone ? LOL :lol1:

9 hours ago, jwhess said:

Our current models are GXT1050 Midland units. They work well for our purposes.

Thanks John, so are you able to use these without a licence?

And what is the range you have found, such as in the woods or when traveling? 71nN6JzeERL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

On 8/16/2019 at 1:17 AM, Beggar for the Spirit said:

I was wondering if anyone could give advice or has experience in using long range GMRS or FRS 2 way radios / walkie talkies?

Here in the US we must have a license for GMRS, but these have much longer range than FRS.

Are there any radios you recommend?

I have seen a variety of reviews and there are many different opinions, and many products state they are long range but many reviews by users explain that they could only get short ranges.

I am not experienced with such radios, so any thoughts, suggestions I will appreciate, thanks

https://midlandusa.com/why-do-i-need-a-gmrs-license-how-do-i-get-it/

• Applicant must be 18+
• Not a representative of a foreign government
• Only available to individuals, aka no new business GMRS license (there are some that are grandfathered in, but that’s a different story circa 1987)
• No test, just payment; $70 and good for 10 years
• License covers you and your immediate family (husband, wife, kids, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, you get the point!)
• If you have been convicted of a felony in the past, you will need to disclose more information as to the context of the charges (this does not mean you will automatically denied)
• And finally, follow the rules set forth by the FCC

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I have a pair of two way radios in my grab bag. That reminds me its time to check they still function to spec and swap the batteries in the grab bag for new ones. There may be a time when the mobile phone networks are down or a time when they are monitored and a fast coded radio burst to the friends would be required. I do not know the make of the units with out checking -  I purchased them about five years ago.

2 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Thanks John, so are you able to use these without a licence?

And what is the range you have found, such as in the woods or when traveling? 

Br. Neil, the range really varies.  At my farm, with woods and fields and hills, the range is probably a couple of miles at best.  In our cars on vacation going down an Interstate Highway with semi trucks and concrete overpass structures it can be 500 yards to 5 miles (plus the added problem of others using the dame channel. Br. Jerry just listed the license requirements.  Using the FMRS (family radio) channels is free but the range is shorter.

If you know someone with a pair of these units, give the a try by walking around your neighborhood.

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

Me and my son are both licensed ham radio operators. We are also both learning Morse code. We both have handheld ham radios we can hit the repeaters and we both have hf radios for real long distance coms

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your post. May I ask which handheld radios do you have?

And I am just learning about the "repeaters", is it hard to get permission to use these? And are there some public repeaters?

You can get an app called repeater book and it will list all the repeaters in whatever radius you choose, the frequency, the offset and the tone. Once you have all those parameters programmed in your radio, you can talk on that repeater. (Provided you are licensed for that band)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have a yaesu ft-270 for a handheld. No mods on it yet

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk