JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Equivalent iOS app for Android Ministry Assistant handling territories

Being in the Android world with phone and tablet I am using for my ministry the most excellent app Ministry Assistant. Since we now use in the congregation territory maps created using the program Territory Assistant they can be easily imported into the Ministry Assistant app by just using their respective QR code. After trying this past week the features now available in Ministry Assistant because now I have a imported territory, I came to the conclusion this is a must have for any pioneer and publishers that are determined to work any territory efficiently. (Sort of like the IBM PC's first killer app Lotus 1-2-3)

What I really appreciated in Ministry Assistant is that you can quickly send a copy of the map via SMS/MMS to others in the group. It is very easy to enter Do Not Calls as well as Not at Homes and you have at a glance what has been covered in the territory. Bottom line just the thinking that went into the usage of this app shows inside into what pioneers ask for in a field service app. The Android crowd in the congregation is elated, but the iOS crowd is not very happy and so I am looking for some suggestions of an app in the iOS world that will handle territories besides just having a map available.

I know of Service Planner and one person in the congregation has the app and I will explore it's ability to handle the working of territories. Listed in the iTunes store is the app Ministry (Field Service Assistant) which could possibly handle territories judging by the screenshots. Perhaps someone could post their experience with the app in this thread.

The creator of Ministry Assistant will not port it to iOS because of the tremendous work involved. So besides getting an Android phone for the ministry is there anything in the Apple world that handles territories in a decent manner.

No effort = No bananas
More efforts = More bananas

I think I found the answers. It depends on what was used to organize and setup the congregation's territories. If it was Territory Assistant then ONLY Ministry Assistant (Android) can import it. If Territory Helper was used then Ministry Assistant (Android) can import it but also Service Planner (iOS) can use the API to import and use the created territory maps. Ministry JW can only import a picture which is not very helpful for working a territory.

So in our congregation the Android guys are all smiles with easy usage and integration in the Ministry Assistant app but the iOS guys have to use the Web Browser with the link created by the QR code reader.

Since the conversion of the territories to electronic versions with updated maps due to added streets and subdivisions it took almost a year to complete. Territory Helper is free for 30 days, Territory Assistant is donation based. Let the BofE decide which one to use.

No effort = No bananas

I love Ministry Assistant. Have used it for years to track all ministry activities. Just recently got an iPad and found it wasn’t available. 😔 I found the only app that does what MA does is Service Planner. However, Territory Assistant is also available on iOS. Does it not work with Any apps on iOS?

Edited by Buttrfly71

"For God is the one who for the sake of his good pleasure energizes you, giving you both the desire and the power to act." Phil 2:13

A territory card created with Territory Assistant creates a QR code. When reading the QR code it depends on the application if it can import this and if it uses the program specific API (Application Programming Interface). Ministry Assistant can handle both territories QR codes created with Territory Assistant and with Territory Helper.

When reading the QR code you get to choose which application should open it. The default browser will always be able to read both but the application has to have implemented the API of the program which created the Territory's QR code.

While I agree that Service Planner is most likely iOS's best ministry activities program it only supports natively territories created with Territory Helper. An iOS device that reads the QR code from a territory created by Territory Assistant has only one choice open it in Safari or your browser of choice. This will only give you the boundaries, streets and any other notes attached to it.

However in Ministry assistant you can create, modify and edit any houses, homes attach notices to the imported territory. Once you return the territory you can archive it and should you work in it again you have all your previous notes like, this person will waste your time or this home is a RV or study by someone else. You can't do any of that in a webpage.

Thanks for replying and I feel your pain having to work without Ministry Assistant on your iOS device. As I mentioned earlier some applications are killer apps, Ministry Assistant is one of those and gives Android devices an edge in the field.

No effort = No bananas