JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Heatwaves

Lewis

18 minutes ago, Witness1970 said:

I had to look up the Celsius and Fahrenheit temperatures to make a comparison and help me get perspective.  The chart below shows approximate values.

Farhenheit   Centigrade
5   -15
10   -12
15   -9
20   -7
25   -4
30   -1
35   2
40   4
45   7
50   10
55   13
60   16
65   18
70   21
75   24
80   27
85   29
90   32
95   35
100   38
105   41
110   43
115   46
120   49
125   52

I guess I just showed my age.  I used Celsius in one place and the old term Centigrade in the other.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/21/2023 at 9:41 AM, Witness1970 said:

I guess I just showed my age.  I used Celsius in one place and the old term Centigrade in the other.

I have heard the word centigrade used a couple of times recently.  I did some research and found that the man who devised the centigrade scale was named Celsius.  The word centigrade can be confusing, because of other uses.

It is winter here down under.  Where we live has mild winters.  Yesterday it was probably around 22-24C.  We had a few over to lunch yesterday and sat on our big back verandah in the beautiful sunshine.  I’m wondering are we in for a hot dry summer.  

12 hours ago, MullumMiss said:

Where we live has mild winters.  Yesterday it was probably around 22-24C

Wow, that's your winters ? :D 

I consider it's winter when we go under 0°C here :D
24°C is like cool evening in summer (what we basically got yesterday)

18 hours ago, Witness1970 said:

I have heard the word centigrade used a couple of times recently.  I did some research and found that the man who devised the centigrade scale was named Celsius.  The word centigrade can be confusing, because of other uses.

Yes, Anders Celsius. It's called 'centigrade' because Celsius divided up the thermometer into 100 equal parts :)

From the Awake! magazine....

Awake! 22 February 1991, pages 12 to 14: "What Do You Know About Temperature?"

A contemporary of Gabriel Fahrenheit was Anders Celsius, a Swedish astronomer, who lived from 1701 to 1744. In 1742 Celsius devised a temperature scale that is also identified by its inventor’s name. The scale is based on two fixed points: 0 degrees is the freezing point of water, and 100 degrees is the boiling point of water at sea level. Since Celsius divided his thermometer into 100 equal parts, it is also known as the centigrade temperature scale. The Celsius scale is used wherever metric units have become accepted.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101991125#h=8

18 hours ago, Witness1970 said:

The word centigrade can be confusing, because of other uses.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/centigrade

relating to, conforming to, or having a thermometric scale on which the interval between the freezing point of water and the boiling point of water is divided into 100 degrees with 0° representing the freezing point and 100° the boiling point

35 minutes ago, Imagine said:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/centigrade

relating to, conforming to, or having a thermometric scale on which the interval between the freezing point of water and the boiling point of water is divided into 100 degrees with 0° representing the freezing point and 100° the boiling point

Thsts why I hope we will use Celsius scale in the new system. It’s based on Jehovah’s creation 😀

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/15/italy-temperatures-48c-mediterranean-heatwave-hotter

A fierce anticyclone named after Cerberus, a three-headed monster-dog that features in Dante’s Inferno, had not even ended before Italians were warned that a more intense one called Caronte, or Charon, who in Greek mythology was the ferryman of the dead, was on its way.

Italy sweltered in temperatures reaching highs of 38C over the weekend, while Caronte will grip the country from Monday, sending the mercury beyond 40C in central and southern regions, with the islands of Sicily and Sardinia possibly hitting a peak of 48C.

Spoiler

image.png

19 hours ago, MullumMiss said:

It is winter here down under.  Where we live has mild winters.  Yesterday it was probably around 22-24C.  We had a few over to lunch yesterday and sat on our big back verandah in the beautiful sunshine.  I’m wondering are we in for a hot dry summer.  

From what I read, the Indian Ocean Dipole will be kicking in this summer for Australia.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/outlooks/#/overview/summary/

Long-range forecast overview

Issued: 12 July 2023

• For August to October, below median rainfall is likely (60% to 80% chance) for most of Australia, increasing to very likely (greater than 80% chance) for parts of Victoria, south-east SA, south-west WA and some parts of the inland north.
  • For August to October, above median maximum temperatures are very likely (greater than 80% chance) for almost all of Australia.
  • For August to October, minimum temperatures are likely to very likely (60% to greater than 80% chance) to be above median for almost all of Australia.
  • This forecast is influenced by a number of factors, including likely El Niño development, the potential development of a positive Indian Ocean Dipole, and record warm oceans globally.

Yes, I fear this heat is coming. In the west, we usually have hot summers with heatwaves, but the last 2 summers were unusually much cooler while the East coast flooded. 

A return to the blistering heat like Europe is having is scary, since that means bush fires, and we still remember the devastation in 2019’s summer 🥵

I prefer our winters, though this year it’s been a lot colder in the west, with snow down south. Where @MullumMisslives is a beautiful coastal, closer to sun-tropical climate on the east coast. 

I'm on the north west coast of the US, we are known for long springs with cool drizzle until after July 4th, jokingly they say our summer doesn't start until after July 4th. But this year is completely different. We really haven't had rain since the last of April. Everything is bone dry. My lawn is dandelions and brown grass. I don't remember it looking like this before August.......well ever. I guess if I research it it may show another time but when you combine my area drought with the excessive heat in other parts of the world and the problems it creates it becomes part of the whole. It's messed up.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Extreme heat across the world is showing that climate crisis has arrived.

Arizona continues to have extreme heat above 43C for more than 20 days now

China had its hottest day over 50C

Europe reaching over 45C and expected to get worst for the next month or two

Arctic Circle is in heatwave

Greenland extreme surface melt is at 60% for 8th day and 50% for 24th day

Antarctica sea ice is 2.6M km2 behind than normal, now posing possible threat to glaciers stability (calving events)

10,000 new heat and rainfall records broken in the last 30 days.

I'd like to remind everyone that as JW's, we have a different view on the 'Point Of No Return' from the rest of the world. All their numbers depend on the population as it stands. JW's (heaven forgive me for saying this) don't expect most of the human race to be around on day one in Paradise.

7 hours ago, Thomas Walker said:

10,000 new heat and rainfall records broken in the last 30 days.

I'd like to remind everyone that as JW's, we have a different view on the 'Point Of No Return' from the rest of the world. All their numbers depend on the population as it stands. JW's (heaven forgive me for saying this) don't expect most of the human race to be around on day one in Paradise.

So true.

The world thinking when it comes to point of no return is that there is no hope for mankind, since the world rely on Scientists and news as their main educators, Scientists have been pushing the no hope message for some time now as one Scientist even states “only love remains”.

We however know full well the kingdom hope and there is no doubt about it.

On 7/18/2023 at 8:16 AM, hatcheckgirl said:

Yes, I fear this heat is coming. In the west, we usually have hot summers with heatwaves, but the last 2 summers were unusually much cooler while the East coast flooded. 

A return to the blistering heat like Europe is having is scary, since that means bush fires, and we still remember the devastation in 2019’s summer 🥵

I prefer our winters, though this year it’s been a lot colder in the west, with snow down south. Where @MullumMisslives is a beautiful coastal, closer to sun-tropical climate on the east coast. 

We are preparing for a bad bushfire season, and we have already had 3 grassfires within 2km from our home within a week.

Having a very cold winter with frost has created a potential issue, as we have had plenty of growth during the last 3 years of La Nina rains, and the frost has killed of the long tall grass in the paddocks, which makes it vulnerable for grassfires in the middle of winter.

At the moment, it is only 16.5C (61.7F) in our area, and we have already several fires within our state of NSW.

image.png.4fabd20cf77fb7ee5a7144bd6160fa37.png

The temperature for most of the state is about 20C (68F) or under and yet we have this many fires already.

image.thumb.png.57ea23a7c551af67cb377925314ea67e.png

So you can imagine what it is going to be like in the coming summer when our temperatures will be above 35C (95F).

• 3 weeks later...