JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

In what ways do you think the new world will be a utopia?

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1520 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

(Deuteronomy 28:8) Jehovah will decree for you a blessing on your storehouses and every undertaking of yours, and he will certainly bless you in the land that Jehovah your God is giving you. (Deuteronomy 16:15) Jehovah your God will bless all your produce and all that you do, and you will become nothing but joyful.

This world is nothing but futile misery, so I can't comprehend or imagine 'nothing but joyful'. But to know for fact that every endeavor will be blessed with Jehovah's support, with freedom of expression, to always be ready and willing to try anything and go anywhere with no reason to hesitate, is more than just some utopian dream. That is what Paradise means to me.

Edited by Myew

1 hour ago, Myew said:

(Deuteronomy 28:8) Jehovah will decree for you a blessing on your storehouses and every undertaking of yours, and he will certainly bless you in the land that Jehovah your God is giving you. (Deuteronomy 16:15) Jehovah your God will bless all your produce and all that you do, and you will become nothing but joyful.

This world is nothing but futile misery, so I can't comprehend or imagine 'nothing but joyful'. But to know for fact that every endeavor will be blessed with Jehovah's support, with freedom of expression, to always be ready and willing to try anything and go anywhere with no reason to hesitate, is more than just some utopian dream. That is what Paradise means to me.

I do look forward to being “ nothing but joyful “ My joy waxes and wanes very readily. Even reading through these many fine observations I find their contrast with the mundane world of my experience to be troubling. So, that single statement and promise “ nothing but joyful is the thin bit of ledgerock that I often cling too. 

I look forward to the development of anthropology, linguistics and history.

Much of these areas is left underdeveloped due to 'forgotten facts' because no one who knows is around..

How did people pronounce Chinese characters at AD 200?

How did Asians come to exist genetically? 

What exactly happened during Noah's days? 

Etc... 

By the end of 1000, the world will be enlightened, not only spiritually but also academically. 

5 minutes ago, Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual said:

By the end of 1000, the world will be enlightened, not only spiritually but also academically. 

Good point, I often contemplate about the "gaps" in knowledge both secular, and Biblical

Resurrection will enable us to know real facts, from people who lived during "those events" - looking forward to the enlightenment!

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

19 hours ago, New World Explorer said:

Rely, is rather strong position to me ...perhaps perfect person will be able to produce anything he wants.

Even in today’s world there are many self-learners accomplishing goals by simply learning how to do things, (courses, You Tube, books offer that help) 

Personally I want to learn how to make things like shoes, clothing, building houses, etc etc.... and more. 

This taps into the - very interesting - topic of Specialization

Specialization is what allows us - as humans - to invent, create, and progress. To illustrate, when one person specializes in producing food, they can feed themselves and the person who specializes in making clothing, who clothes themselves and provides protective clothing for the person who gathers fuel (wood, coal, whatever), who is also fed by the farmer and ultimately provides fuel to warm the farmer and dressmaker. 

That is, of course, an oversimplified example. One more close to home would be Bethel. We all provide a need of Bethelites (money) to allow them to specialize in a way that helps us (spiritual food, organizational direction and structure, tools for the ministry and our personal study, disaster relief programs).  Even within Bethel, members specialize to facilitate the other's ability to do these things (food services, maintenance, lawyers, doctors, Governing Body, janitors, all play different, integral roles)

There's an interesting Awake article on the "need" of money today that says:

*** g86 10/22 pp. 3-4 The Need for Money ***
Where would we be today if money did not exist? There was, of course, a time when money was not used. The agricultural households were then fairly independent and took care of their own needs. They would barter for any items they could not supply themselves, directly exchanging their own goods for those of another. Yet, some difficulties were encountered, particularly for one who specialized in a certain trade or was a hired laborer.

Just imagine if you were such a worker and instead of receiving money as wages you received a certain amount of grapes!
Now, you might love grapes, but you certainly would not want a steady diet of grapes. You would want a more substantial and varied menu, including meat and vegetables. You would also have need of shoes, clothing, and fuel, as well as other goods and services. So you would have to locate people who would be willing to trade those items.

But what if those people did not like or want grapes? Then you would have to find someone who would take your grapes and give you something else that you could exchange for the items you needed. The whole trading process might take longer than the time it took you to earn the grapes in the first place!

Another problem that arises is that of assigning values to the items exchanged. For instance, how many grapes is one chicken worth? How many for a pair of shoes? Every item traded would have to have a corresponding value in every other item.

“If, for example, there were 1,000 different goods and services on the market,” says the book Money, Banking, and the United States Economy, “instead of 1,000 dollar prices being available to measure their relative market worth, 499,500 exchange ratios would be required!”
Not only is that a lot to remember, but the list would need constant revision and adjustment as situations varied. And if the item you have for trade, such as a cow, is worth more than the ax blade you wish to acquire, how do you settle the matter? Who gets the cow if you wish to use its value to purchase several items from various persons? How difficult transacting any business would be under such circumstances! A common denominator for exchange of goods or services would certainly be needed. Enter the need for money.
Money, therefore, serves the following basic functions:
● It is a medium of exchange that enables us to have easy access to the goods or services of others.
● It serves as a measuring rod of value—a standard unit of account—by which the values of all goods and services can be compared and expressed.
● It serves as a store of value, a means by which you can save, or accumulate, your earnings for later use.

Of course, just because one person or family in the new world specializes in something, doesn't mean they wouldn't be caring for their own needs, it may simply be that there is not enough time in the day or season to produce an additional commodity that one could more easily get from a neighbor. 

Now for the really important matter: Let's assume climate is relatively similar to today's and say I get assigned to live in the higher reaches of North America, how will I ever get my coffee??? 

As a side note, I found this infographic about "How much yard would I need to live off the land?" The answer? two acres for a family of four.

(You may have to click the image to see it clearly)

how big a backyard would you need to live off the land?

Edited by 1MKnight

What I can't get past in my mind is that in Isaiah it says that we will build homes but not for others what are we going to do with all the homes that are currently here that will be vacant. I visited Kennebunkport a while ago and saw former President Bush's home on the water I'd really like that one since he probably won't be there. And another thing what about all the Home Depots and Lowe's these are corporations that won't exist anymore are we going to be able to go inside and take whatever supplies we need it won't belong to anybody. All I know is if these things still exist such as the Maserati sale store just down the street from me I might have to take it for a little spin.

13 minutes ago, Todd komaniak said:

What I can't get past in my mind is that in Isaiah it says that we will build homes but not for others

It's just my personal opinion but I suspect that scripture isn't as literal as some think it is. We may be building homes for resurrected ones and ones assigned to work..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

13 hours ago, Bro Richard said:

It's just my personal opinion but I suspect that scripture isn't as literal as some think it is. We may be building homes for resurrected ones and ones assigned to work..

Or how about we will build homes “ sequentially “? Forever is a long time.

To travel absolutely everywhere in the world. To be familiar with the entire globe and its inhabitants. To study everything to my heart's content. To have all my questions answered by the people who know the answers. To see the end of ALL badness--forever-- at the end of the 1,000 years. To celebrate when the entire earth is declared to have fulfilled Jehovah's idea of paradise.

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

• 3 weeks later...

Besides the resurrection and having a part in teaching resurrected ones - one of the things I most look forward to is peace among all mankind and all animals!  (Isaiah 11:6-9; 65:25)

Like this picture from  our book: "Mt Book of Bible Stories" story # 115-

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101978174

People enjoying the animals in the Paradise earth

STORY 115

A New Paradise on Earth

LOOK at those tall trees, pretty flowers and high mountains. Isn’t it beautiful here? See how the deer is eating out of the little boy’s hand. And look at the lions and the horses standing over there in the meadow. Wouldn’t you like to live in a house in a place like this?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 8:48 PM, Bro Richard said:

I too always understood this a little differently.  MY husband had a fireplace and chimney business in LA.  Lots of celebrity clients.  He had a job for a famous producer (think former hairdresser for Barbara Striesand)who lived in The Colony, an exclusive gated community in Malibu. This mans neighbor had a home (castle) with a convertible roof.  He never knew they existed till that day.  While he and my son were repairing chimney flashing on their clients home, the house next door roof's started to retract.  He said that he and my son grabbed the chimney for support because at that moment they thought an earthquake was beginning. In their peripheral vision they saw the movement and thought it was connected to the house they were standing on.  He said that when they realized what was happening that they  could a man in a bathrobe sitting in a chair reading the paper and drinking a cup of coffee while enjoying the sunshine.  Rick said he and Jason stood there, in awe, witnessing something someone with wealth and opportunity was oblivious to..  That man was Larry Hagman from I Dream of Jeanie and Dallas fame.  Google: Who Shot JR? for all you young ones.  Anyway my point is, Was it an outlandish feature?  A necessary feature? Something that wasted money or something to show-off their wealth and exclusicality" (probably not a word but it should be).  I now think this scripture means we can build homes for others but we too can still have the same features if we want!  We wont be excluded because we can not afford them. The majority of construction workers build these lavish homes for others to enjoy while barely making ends meet.  S0 unfair and heartbreaking!  At the time I thought it was a shameful act of showing off what you had.  Now I just want one!  Our perspective changes with everything we learn.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

2 minutes ago, Todd komaniak said:

Well you can't take over Larry Hagman house because he's going to be resurrected probably want it back

And that would be great! I just want one!  I think my bedroom where I could lay in bed and watch the stars at night.  So peaceful.  I came home from work the other night and reached up to pull the sunroof screen closed and noted the stars.  I sat mesmerized staring at them.  I went inside and got a pillow and came back to the car and made myself a very cramped space (Fiat 500) and curled up to watch the sky.  It was so peaceful.  I stayed till I woke up so cramped I could not move.  But enjoyed it immensely none the less.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Well my image of what the new system is going to look like is way different than most in one of the recent watchtowers in one of the pictures it showed six boxes that showed all the things that this system of things has done to people weather homelessness famine sickness dying war and one of the boxes showed factories a train car and what appears to be a nuclear power plant and also overhead electrical wires. When we're out in service we use Revelation 21 3 and 4 a lot to show what we could look forward to but I like to look past that to verse 5 and the one seated on the throne said " look I am making all things new" also he says right for these words are faithful and true. Jehovah says that he himself is going to be making all things new. And that's why I take the verses in Isaiah about building our own homes and not for somebody else literal because there won't be all this here it'll be like a blank canvas. And I don't mean blank as in just bunch of dirt but trees Lush fields of grass and of course many many fruit trees to feed the millions that come out of Armageddon.