JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Install JW Library on an SD card instead of the c:/drive

Has anyone had success in installing JW Library on an sd card instead of the c drive?

I have tried and the app installs and runs for awhile. When I start the app again it crashes.

I am using a Surface Pro 7. The same thing happens when I move the app in apps and features in settings.

I was able to successly move my JWLibrary android app over to the SD card on my Samsung

Galaxy Tab E. with android version 7.1.1 .

At first, I just had it storing everything on the SD card, but then I noticed the brothers had

made an allowance to move the entire app over onto my SD card.  So I did and the app runs

just as well on my SD card as it did on my tablet's internal memory.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

@nealbrooks Regarding the Windows App version, no, I have not tried installing it to an SD card, but I have stored the media files to an SD card. It's typically always better to install an app on your main storage drive, and store it's media files if necessary on an SD card, where applicable. I'd recommend making room on your internal hard drive.

@Sheep Regarding Android tablets, I really do not recommend putting JW Library on your SD card. Even with a high end card, it will load much slower than the internal storage. I've had several times where people ask me why JW Library keeps crashing, is loading so slowly or thinking that their tablet is to blame and after a while of troubleshooting I end up finding out that it's on the SD card. No. Bad user. Don't do that. I put it back on the internal, and everything works again. The best thing to do is immediately following an install, before downloading anything or updating the cache, change the settings to store the extra data on the SD card. If you've already downloaded publications and it's bloating your install size on the internal, then you should start over after making a backup.

Thanks for your responses.

@Myew I am aware of what you say, however I like to push the envelope on these machines and apps. It appears that when JW Library is installed on another drive it loses connection with a necessary file of folder. I want to know why. Thanks for your feed back anyway.

1 hour ago, Myew said:

Regarding Android tablets, I really do not recommend putting JW Library on your SD card. Even with a high end card, it will load much slower than the internal storage. I've had several times where people ask me why JW Library keeps crashing, is loading so slowly or thinking that their tablet is to blame and after a while of troubleshooting I end up finding out that it's on the SD card. No. Bad user. Don't do that. I put it back on the internal, and everything works again. The best thing to do is immediately following an install, before downloading anything or updating the cache, change the settings to store the extra data on the SD card. If you've already downloaded publications and it's bloating your install size on the internal, then you should start over after making a backup.

My tablet doesn't have enough internal memory with all the uninstallable bloatware that came already on it.

The bloatware apps are using up all the tablet's internal memory, and I never wanted them on my tablet

and I don't want them on my tablet now, and I won't want them on my tablet ever.  But I have no say in what

Samsung pre-installs on my device's internal memory. :( 

If we were only able to uninstall all those useless bloatware apps...without having to root 

our phones and tablets, then I'd have tons of room for JWLibrary. :( 

I have no problem with my app taking longer to load, or crashing.  But, that is just my Galaxy Tab E. :D

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Even if you only have 8GB of total storage with the operating system taking up most of it, it should be possible to disable stock bloat apps and delete any updates for them to have enough room for JW Library as long as your data is immediately set to the SD card. Using Android Debug Bridge (ADB) along with a computer can basically do the same thing as disabling and a bit more if certain apps do not allow disabling from the system.
https://www.maketecheasier.com/uninstall-system-apps-without-root-android/
https://www.androidpit.com/uninstall-system-apps-without-root
https://www.xda-developers.com/uninstall-carrier-oem-bloatware-without-root-access/

If you need to make backups first for peace of mind (and you should) of your android device and apps to a computer, you can use ADB with https://www.fosshub.com/MyPhoneExplorer.html It also allows remote control, installing/deleting apps, transferring files, etc from your computer.

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2020 at 6:41 PM, Friends just call me Ross said:

Screenshot_20200221_183733.jpg.4be92cc9617702a26e53efa6e2c6104e.jpg

Screenshot_20200221_183817.jpg.d64f5bd7e0865d4d15653034b9425abe.jpg

But, now the question is, how do I move that data to the SD card as well? I have nearly four gig of data stored in the internal storage for JW library and that needs to move. Is there a way to move it or do I have to delete it and download every publication again?

Being able to move an Android app from internal to external is dependent on the app itself, the version of Android settings, and your device model/manufacturer. It would normally be under Settings > Apps / Storage, one of the two. JW Library's settings menu only puts music and videos on external storage, not books. But if you have Android running JW Library off of an external SD / drive, and then set JW Library's storage setting to external, it will store music and videos on your device's internal storage.. As mentioned previously, I really recommend against moving the app itself to the SD card. Also, if your device only has 8GB or even 16GB of storage now, you're probably better off getting a new device.

This is a little "off-topic" because the comments are about installing Watchtower Library.

When we used to install the Watchtower Library (on DVD) from a CD or DVD disk, it used to ask where or what drive letter to use.  I could ask for another letter that was my backup hard drive and it worked.  I do not get that request anymore. 

More on topic:

Twenty years ago I was able to install the JW Library app on an SD card once but it never worked in windows when you accessed it.  I gave up.