JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

TouchPad vs Mouse: Do you remember how to switch between?

I can't remember.  I must have done it my mistake.  I've googled several ways trying to find out...but to no avail.  

I thought it was a keyboard command...but can't seem to find it.  

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

"Be imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." Hebrews 6:12

There should be an option in your "Settings" that allows you to adjust how your touchpad/mouse interact.

If set correctly (depends on your particular device) your mouse should automatically be turned off while the mouse is plugged in and be turned back on when the mouse is unplugged

I am not aware of a keyboard shortcut 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

Sr. Brenda, is this a windows 10 tablet?

I should have mentioned...his is Windows 7 on a Toshiba laptop.  I didn't purposely change anything to use the TouchPad...I must have hit something by mistake.  That's why I thought it might be a keyboard command or a Fn + F#.  I can't see the little icons well enough to decipher what they mean.  

Does this make any sense?

"Be imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." Hebrews 6:12

6 hours ago, humblebumblebee said:

Fn + F9

It helped me just now to be able to switch on my touch pad and able to move my curser again.

It was puzzling what I had done but happy that I now know what F9 is for.

My  laptop is a Asus; win 10

Hope this helps : )

Vonny...I'm so happy your issue is fixed.  I know how frustrating it can be.  But I'm glad things are back to where you can use you keyboard as normal.  

I tried what you said to my laptop...it didn't work with my system.  I can't imagine what I did...I didn't notice anything.  I think your Win 10 seems easier to fix than my Win 7.  But I will keep trying...I don't give up easily.  LOL

15 hours ago, Qapla said:

There should be an option in your "Settings" that allows you to adjust how your touchpad/mouse interact.

If set correctly (depends on your particular device) your mouse should automatically be turned off while the mouse is plugged in and be turned back on when the mouse is unplugged

I am not aware of a keyboard shortcut 

Br John,   I agree with what you said...it seems logical.  But for some reason it's not working on my system...or I am just missing something.  I will keep asking locally ... there is one brother who is into computers I will have to ask him.  I hate to bother ones at the Hall, they have young children and families.  But I will have to ask him.  But thanks for taking the time to reply...much appreciated.

Brenda, have a look at this:

https://support.dynabook.com/support/viewContentDetail?contentId=4009158

Those are the most common ways to enable and disable the touchpad.

EDIT: If you can tell us the exact model of your laptop I could have a look at the manual. I see that for most Toshiba models it's pressing FN and F9 at the same time.

Edited by carlos

• 2 weeks later...

Carlos,  I just saw this reply.  I tried the suggestions from the link you provided...they didn't work...unless I was doing something wrong.

My Toshiba model is Satellite A305-S6837...an oldie.

I really appreciate your help...this is driving me crazy...LOL

On 3/17/2020 at 2:11 AM, Brenda said:

Carlos,  I just saw this reply.  I tried the suggestions from the link you provided...they didn't work...unless I was doing something wrong.

My Toshiba model is Satellite A305-S6837...an oldie.

@Brenda , from the posts above I am not sure of what is not working in your laptop. Is it the touchpad or the mouse? Actually, in most computers they work at the same time.

This Toshiba video explains how to troubleshoot a touchpad that is not working. It includes the Fn+F9 explanation to enable a disabled touchpad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLruGEAcT_4

If it's your mouse that is not working, please change the USB connector where it is connected. If it's a wireless mouse, make sure the batteries are charged. Sometimes mouses have a switch to turn them on/off.

Edited by carlos

Br Carlos, I was feeling bad for you taking your time to help me...and it ended up not being the TouchPad after all.  

But then I realized, your helpful suggestions you provided did help me out a lot.

After reading what you wrote...and playing around a bit with my mouse and TouchPad...I realized it was my Mouse.  The left button is not working...so the only way I could move was to use my TouchPad.  It was working okay.

So I had to move the Mouse with my right hand and then use the TouchPad to Click.  I'm not coordinated that well anymore.  LOL  

So I just went to Amaz...and ordered a new mouse for $6...so should have in 4 days.  

So thank you very much for your help...I wouldn't have thought of this without your help.

I'm sure this will take care of my problem.

Edited by Brenda

typo