JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

In response to Covid-19, Jehovah’s Witnesses in NZ stop door knocking

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1510 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

We have? My husband takes the group tomorrow.

Aah have read article - a NUMBER of Jehovah's Witnesses have stopped door knocking.

There are still many either doing a letterbox drop for campaign or going from door to door - we have not as yet been told not to down this way.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

The door to door preaching is just one method of preaching. There are many other methods that is being used by Christians today as Jesus and his early followers did. 
- word of mouth 

- example

- obedience to secular authorities 

- informal teaching

Let’s not forget his instruction in Matthew 28:19 GO (where ever people can be found) and teach them (not by one particular method) but by what ever means possible. 
This might be a wake up call for many rightly disposed ones to move to action. When the world starts to missing us at the doors it’s an opportunity for then to show Jehovah and Jesus that they know what we were doing when we were at their doors. This can very well be the right time for some and too late for others

SONG 84

Jehovah knows just what we need

To bring us joy and to succeed.

So he provides so many ways

In which to serve and spend our days.

(CHORUS)

Reaching out, giving all,

for our God above.

And where the need is great, there we’ll be,

reaching out in love.

2. There’s work to do in ev’ry land.

Where there’s a need, we lend a hand.

By reaching out, we show we care.

We want to help and want to share.

(CHORUS)

for our God above.

reaching out in love.

3. And here at home, in towns nearby,

We plan, we build, new skills we try.

We learn to speak a foreign tongue

And bring good news to ev’ryone.

(CHORUS)

for our God above.

reaching out in love.

Tom went to FS this morning and an elder from our sister congregation came in and stopped FS for their congregation. But, as Tom hasn't been told not to - he continued. They are doing letterbox drop for campaign.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Many congregations in Auckland have cancelled their memorial campaigns. I’m guessing that those who meet in multi-plexes will exceed the 500 limit on gatherings imposed by the government, so no point inviting the general public.

The memorial will still go ahead in some form, although what that proves to be will be decided by each BOE in due course.

its a developing situation...

3 minutes ago, Dave said:

Many congregations in Auckland have cancelled their memorial campaigns. I’m guessing that those who meet in multi-plexes will exceed the 500 limit on gatherings imposed by the government, so no point inviting the general public.

The memorial will still go ahead in some form, although what that proves to be will be decided by each BOE in due course.

its a developing situation...

Totally fluid - like it's changing every hour. 

Oh and apologies if I sounded harsh in my response to you - i was totally surprised and wondered if Tom had missed some vital instruction.

Edited by Stormswift

We are not doing any door to door work though the carts are still being done.  I guess that's because if people choose to come and talk to us then that is fine.

The Memorial campaign is for (unbelieving) family and acquaintances only. But like Dave said, it's a developing situation and who knows what  will come next.

I was talking to an elder yesterday and he said the BoE are talking about telephone and letter writing which can even be done in our own homes, not necessarily in groups.

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

Our congregation had announced last night - no more field service, no carts in mall, no campaign. RV's BS and phone witnessing ok.

Memorial still at Hall at this stage, but with over half the congregation on the phone last night can see this changing.

We have only three elders out of seven able to attend and organize meetings and down a few MS's too.  I can see us going to streaming options.

Just to clarify - we all on the phone for sake of social distancing - due to health conditions or age. No-one i know has the virus - NZ Govt has been very strict on social distancing - the Branch is working in sync with this.

Edited by Stormswift

We had a large auditorium rented out for a good number of congregations in our city for the Memorial and they had to cancel that due to the government restriction (not over 10 to congregate in U.S.) and we have been instructed that our C.O. visit is postponed and our Circuit Assembly is canceled also and that we will receive links to watch each meeting on our smart phones including the special talk on April 5th and the Memorial on April 7th too!  At least the brothers in Bethel can congregate and hold meetings inside that are then sent out to us!  All the Bethel facilities are closed up tight - no visitors.  No meetings of any sort, including meeting for service.  That we are to witness to family, friends, workmates (if you can go to work which a lot are not able to right now), to make phone calls or to send letters.  No one I know at this time has the virus but the info released by the CDC is very scary and I appreciate that they are trying to stop the expected carnage here in the U.S. that has been happening in Italy.

• 2 weeks later...