JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

2 hours ago, The German said:

S-179 says:

12. The videoconference system should not subject users to commercial advertisements.

Neither should it be used to store audio or video files, record the meeting, or post the meeting online.

A friend giving his first public talk asked me to record it for him.

4 hours ago, bigvince said:

Someone had mentioned using OBS, can I use it to record a zoom meeting with audio and video? If so, how?

I have used OBS studio to successfully record a zoom session.

I wasn't able to record my own microphone though. If I tried to record my own microphone it caused feedback.

I had to login to another zoom session with OBS studio to do the recording.

Flashback Express screen recorder was able to do the recording of a zoom session even when I was commenting.

7 hours ago, WilliamChew said:

I have used OBS studio to successfully record a zoom session.

I wasn't able to record my own microphone though. If I tried to record my own microphone it caused feedback.

It is possible to record your own microphone.  Did you enable the microphone as a audio source in OBS?

9 hours ago, jwhess said:

I am not sure that personal requests override theocratic instructions.  Is there any way to record the talk on your own without involving the congregation equipment?

We are all using are own personal equipment at the moment.  The instructions do say that personal recordings are allowed.   When back at the KH, that will mean a brother could record from his seat using an audio recorder device, but not connect to the system.  I can't find where it says that at the moment, but I'm sure I did read it.

Although, recording directly using Zoom is not allowed, and hosts are to disable the option to record.

5 hours ago, On the huh said:

It is possible to record your own microphone.  Did you enable the microphone as a audio source in OBS?

We are all using are own personal equipment at the moment.  The instructions do say that personal recordings are allowed.   When back at the KH, that will mean a brother could record from his seat using an audio recorder device, but not connect to the system.  I can't find where it says that at the moment, but I'm sure I did read it.

Although, recording directly using Zoom is not allowed, and hosts are to disable the option to record.

Br. Jonathan, I did not know if Br. Vince was the A/V person and was trying to use the congregation host position to record the talk.

5 hours ago, On the huh said:

When I enabled the microphone as an audio source, there would be 2 sources (desktop audio and microphone) and it created audio feedback where the microphone was played back on the desktop audio.

1 hour ago, WilliamChew said:

When I enabled the microphone as an audio source, there would be 2 sources (desktop audio and microphone) and it created audio feedback where the microphone was played back on the desktop audio.

That is the same setup as I have it, but I don't get feedback.  I have a echo cancellation setting on the microphone (in sound settings control panel)

My PC updated Zoom to the 5.5.0 release but I don't see how to use the new blurred background feature yet. How do I blur the background?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

It might be device/hardware specific. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

15 minutes ago, AH173 said:

It might be device/hardware specific. 

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360055899751-New-updates-for-February-1-2021

Screenshot_20210201-121310.jpg

Edited by AH173

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

9 minutes ago, AH173 said:

I have read that several times, even before the update was released. I am using a PC so it did receive the Zoom update for Windows, however I don't see any options for a blurred background. I was looking forward to using it..😟

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

18 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I have read that several times, even before the update was released. I am using a PC so it did receive the Zoom update for Windows, however I don't see any options for a blurred background. I was looking forward to using it..😟

Richard, do you have the option of 49 participants you could view? If so you would probably have good processor, ram and video card for your pc. My home pc has the ability to see 49 participants. 

16 minutes ago, bigvince said:

I have blur as a background under virtual backgrounds on my mac.

Vince, what type of processor, ram and/or other specs for your mac? 

Just now, AH173 said:

Richard, do you have the option of 49 participants you could view? If so you would probably have good processor, ram and video card for your pc. My home pc has the ability to see 49 participants. 

No. My PC and Laptop are both a few years old and neither of them would show a virtual background very well, that's why I was interested in the blurred background, however it appears I don't have that option on either device.

1 minute ago, Tortuga said:

No. My PC and Laptop are both a few years old and neither of them would show a virtual background very well, that's why I was interested in the blurred background, however it appears I don't have that option on either device.

OK. I don't think age is an issue. 

My pc is about 6 to 7 years old. At the time I got it (power spec - micro center brand) was 16gb ram (upgraded to 32),upgraded video card (that allows for 3 monitor output) and i5 Intel processor. And plenty of tb of storage. I can view 49 participants. 

2 minutes ago, bigvince said:

@AH173I'm at work, I have the 27" 5K imac, 3.4ghz quad core intel i5, 32gb ram. I haven't updated  my home mac yet.

Thanks. When I get home mine should work well as yours does.