JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

virtual backgrounds in Zoom

The host or co-host cannot make any changes to the background of the group.
The Virtual background is only controlled by the actual user. You cannot turn off someone else's background. But a host can turn off the video (and Mic of course) and lock some settings...
Not all systems allow virtual backgrounds. Older PC's and Android devices will not show the virtual background option.

Old (Downunder) Tone

Why would we want to turn off virtual backgrounds? Some use them because they do not have a good place to have their camera turned on otherwise.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

6 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Why would we want to turn off virtual backgrounds? Some use them because they do not have a good place to have their camera turned on otherwise.

https://gawker.com/never-forget-sarah-palins-turkey-slaughter-interview-1472708426  (Cut and paste)

Sarah Palin should have had a virtual background for her Turkey Pardon interview.

Caution not reccomended for younger ones

Sorry silencing Sarah works best.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

35 minutes ago, Qapla said:

I had read somewhere that the virtual backgrounds somehow cause an issue if there are a lot of users or for those who have a poor connection.

So by turning off the virtual background this apparently helps with connectivity for everyone. 

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

How can I make a virtual background on my Samsung tablet?

Sorry, not possible on Samsung.

Virtual background will only be available for hardware that can support it.

On the bottom left of the screen, to the right of the Mic and video control - is an 'up arrow.' (looks like this: " ^ ")

If you press on the up 'up arrow' it will expand to show some options. If you are able to use the virtual background, it will show up as on option. If you do not see it there, then your device is not be able to handle this option, and you will not see that option displayed.

As far as I know, no Android device (as yet) can use this feature.

Old (Downunder) Tone

How can I make a virtual background on my Samsung tablet?

See above.

Old (Downunder) Tone

2 hours ago, Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz said:

Sorry, not possible on Samsung.

Virtual background will only be available for hardware that can support it.

On the bottom left of the screen, to the right of the Mic and video control - is an 'up arrow.' (looks like this: " ^ ")

If you press on the up 'up arrow' it will expand to show some options. If you are able to use the virtual background, it will show up as on option. If you do not see it there, then your device is not be able to handle this option, and you will not see that option displayed.

As far as I know, no Android device (as yet) can use this feature.

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

See above. emoji115.png

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

Thank you so much for explaining that. I plan on using my Tab A next time..so we'll see!

imageproxy.gif

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

what funny is my camra dose not work on zoom but will if i use face time,  and i can change the background  on my desktop 

but on my laptop and tablet i can not change the back ground and the camra works the only think i dont like about the tablet 

is it hids the rase had and i spened  10 mins try to get it to come up to rase my hand 

2 hours ago, bobby said:

what funny is my camra dose not work on zoom but will if i use face time,  and i can change the background  on my desktop 

but on my laptop and tablet i can not change the back ground and the camra works the only think i dont like about the tablet 

is it hids the rase had and i spened  10 mins try to get it to come up to rase my hand 

May I ask..which Facetime app is the best to use on Android..there are several in the store.

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

On 4/11/2020 at 10:03 PM, Qapla said:

the suggestion from the branch to brothers who are hosts is that we disable virtual backgrounds.

however as this seems to not be a universal setting - it only affects the host machine, i assume its to minimise bandwidth and reduce  CPU/RAM usage as virtual backgrounds use a bit more PC resources, and the host machine is doing a lot more work that everyone else.  i guess everyone else who is connected is expected to use common sense!

i used a virtual backround on sunday as i had the talk, and i didnt want the brothers to be distracted by the background, (which ironically is a green screen as my wife teaches online) but i turned it off as soon as i was "out the spotlight" because i was also the host machine.

Our host, who is also our WT Overseer and a remote Bethellite, has not told us to disable virtual backgrounds. He uses one of the KH stage so he looks to be on the platform. His wife, who operates the music, also uses a virtual background.

We were asked not to use a "distracting" background ... this includes virtual ones as well as real ones - in particular, we were asked to make sure we do not have a ceiling fan in the picture as the spinning blades are quite distracting.

We were emailed a list of other things to try to avoid. They included:

• Eating and drinking on camera   :drink:  :tea: 
  • Getting up with the camera on  :nope:
  • Having a bright window or other light behind you making you look like you are in witness protection  :facepalmpo2:
  • Sitting in the dark so you can't be seen  :tsk:
  • Playing with your pets or having them in your lap with the camera on  :deadhorse: 
  • Placing you camera at a good angle and avoid "up the nose" shots  :wall: 

We were told if our background is deemed distracting the host will turn our camera off - sadly, we have had all the things on the list happen, thus the email ... this past Sunday, no one needed their camera turned off by the host  :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/13/2020 at 10:40 AM, Manwithnoname said:

the suggestion from the branch to brothers who are hosts is that we disable virtual backgrounds.

however as this seems to not be a universal setting - it only affects the host machine, i assume its to minimise bandwidth and reduce  CPU/RAM usage as virtual backgrounds use a bit more PC resources, and the host machine is doing a lot more work that everyone else.  i guess everyone else who is connected is expected to use common sense!

i used a virtual backround on sunday as i had the talk, and i didnt want the brothers to be distracted by the background, (which ironically is a green screen as my wife teaches online) but i turned it off as soon as i was "out the spotlight" because i was also the host machine.

Actually the branch directions say turning off virtual backgrounds is optional.

On 5/7/2020 at 9:22 PM, Floyd said:

Actually the branch directions say turning off virtual backgrounds is optional.

Indeed it is an optional suggestion 😁
It is a good idea though to minimise system resources on older hardware.

But on newer PC it should cause no problem.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2020 at 10:40 AM, Manwithnoname said:

The branch specifically said this suggestion is optional.

A week ago we attended the meeting where our married daughter attends - our 6 year old granddaughter was interviewed in that part for the kids

When I joined the meeting, the host told me "The organization has said we are not to use virtual backgrounds - could you turn your off"

I did not try to "correct" him and insist that it is optional ... I simply turned mine off and let my greenscreen be my background.

At out meeting we have several with virtual backgrounds ... I have had some nice comments on my collection - if you join one of my Virtual Gatherings you can see some of them ( Let's Meet )

We check all the backgrounds to see if they are distracting or inappropriate. We had to tell one person to turn off theirs or change it. But we didn't think it was fair to punish everybody because of one person. I guess I have a pet peeve about making local rules and then saying the branch said it. If a body wants to make a local rule that's fine but own it. 

On 4/13/2020 at 3:40 PM, Manwithnoname said:

On 5/31/2020 at 3:38 PM, Floyd said:

The branch specifically said this suggestion is optional.

My apologies my brother if I appear contrary in my meaning.

In my part of the world the word "suggestion" can mean its optional whether we follow or not, (depending on context) sorry if it didn't come across like that.

I am not disagreeing with you, and I agree we should not be making local rules.

I just wanted to explain the technical reason why the branch made there suggestion and why we might decide to follow it.., or not.

Once again apologies for any confusion.

On 6/7/2020 at 2:48 PM, Floyd said:

The way I read "optional" is that they really didn't care. In this context we felt that they were not suggesting one way or the other.

yes,  very true.

i think a lot of the optional selections are things that might have an impact on older machines if left on by default or might be distracting to others.
but the security items are required.

it still amazes me how many congs i have given talks at lately dont have the settings done in line with the direction though!
although the latest update has changed a lot of them to default.