JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Library on Linux Mint

Actually, it seemed for many years that we were purposely refusing to digitize certain publications (perhaps to help keep 'control' of it against apostates) but that did not work (scanners are cheap to come by) and eventually we threw caution to wind and have gone so far as to release on the public part of our website publications such as the Organized book.

15 minutes ago, Brandon said:

@jwhess If you think JW Library is a proprietary in-house creation then you'd be very surprised to open the "acknowledgements" section of JW Library settings where you'll see fifteen sources of code, probably most of which is open source!

actually no, you could open source the software without actually giving up control (neither technologically nor legally) of the content. You might be conflating DRM with closed source code. I'm not even sure that jwpub files contain any DRM.

as was mentioned numerous times in this thread, even with large attempts to control the distribution and reuse of our copyrighted material, our organization has not been able to stop opposers from impersonating us anyways (including copying and reusing our logos illegally, editing articles and sharing them, etc).

I am not going to dispute the technology, but why do you think making the code for our technology "open" would bless the work, forward the progress of the ministry or in any way make life better for Jehovah's people?  Just curious why you want to do this.

10 minutes ago, jwhess said:

why do you think making the code for our technology "open" would bless the work, forward the progress of the ministry or in any way make life better for Jehovah's people?

please note that I wrote a short essay and the forums didn't save any of it before I accidentally ctrl-w and all my words were lost... and i also haven't eaten and have soup in the microwave waiting for me...

I'll have to brb. I'll just paste the links I need for my message before I lose anything else

https://jwtalk.net/topic/48538-equipd-i-silo/?do=findComment&comment=809467

https://opendyslexic.org/

and I just lost it all for a third time...

honestly why doesn't this forum auto-save your work every few seconds 😭

@jwhess after rewriting my essay like 3 times and losing it each time, perhaps it would be better if you told be why you think our apps don't have serious design flaws including lack of basic things like OpenDyslexic fonts? especially after 8 years

I may just have to do this the instant messaging way I think... hit submit after every paragraph

Edited by Brandon

1. reduce the costs of producing apps by embracing open innovation -- save on dedicated funds

- WHQ was supposed to house 500 witnesses and a large portion of this was in the IT dept -- by the time it was built that number had doubled to approx 1000! (the latter number was given to us by our tour guide a couple years ago)

2. produce more apps including ones that serve the needs of specific groups of witnesses, such as those with disabilities

- the fact that legitimate apps continue to be produced by non-bethelites / non-A19 workers makes it obvious that our current tools, including JW Library, don't meet the needs for everyone. For example there could be apps for people with dyslexia or who have minority learning styles.

Edited by Brandon

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

1. reduce the costs of producing apps by embracing open innovation -- save on dedicated funds

- WHQ was supposed to house 500 witnesses and a large portion of this was in the IT dept -- by the time it was built that number had doubled to approx 1000! (the latter number was given to us by our tour guide a couple years ago)

2. produce more apps including ones that serve the needs of specific groups of witnesses, such as those with disabilities

- the fact that legitimate apps continue to be produced by non-bethelites / non-A19 workers makes it obvious that our current tools, including JW Library, don't meet the needs for everyone. For example there could be apps for people with dyslexia or who have minority learning styles.

So this would allow skilled people who do not have to pass their apps (or coding) to the oversight or GB  just to make their own apps or programs that work on JW Library for instance?

Way back in the days of Qverse, I could add documents, books and so on to the library.  I added worldly material for research.  We scanned elder letters and posted them.  We were told to stop and remove such material. It was not ill intended, just for ease of use.  That is gone, Isilo app is gone Equipd is gone and so on.  Do we detect a theme here?  It has to go to the GB for approval.  You can't just let some skilled programmer in my backyard load things in JW Library just because he has a open-license key.

And what if a faithful brother coded a beautiful program or app that only worked in Kindle.  How would the rest of the world get  access?  Our IT people make everything work for everybody in the same format and as near as possible in the same look or GUI.

Edited by jwhess

On 6/3/2021 at 4:57 PM, Brandon said:

makes it obvious that our current tools, including JW Library, don't meet the needs for everyone.

First remember that we are on Jehovah's timetable not our own personal one. Also don't get needs and wants confused. Jehovah provides everything that we all actually need. JW Library is not needed to gain life. No app is needed to gain life. Internet is not needed to gain life. A proper heart condition is needed to gain life. A person can learn about Jehovah and make changes in their life without any technology at all and Jehovah will make that happen if their heart is right. Its Jehovah that draws people whether its through an app or personal communication or some other means.

Technology can certainly make life easier. But if all the technology failed people will still be drawn to Jehovah because it is his desire. Technology is not going to determine if somebody lives or not. So whether we have it or not all is going to take place according to Jehovah's will and on his timetable.

On 6/3/2021 at 4:57 PM, Brandon said:

makes it obvious that our current tools, including JW Library, don't meet the needs for everyone.

I will rephrase. Jehovah will make sure the needs of everyone is met. This may or may not be through technology.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Equipd Bible is not gone. Please refer back to the link I already posted

Br. Brandon, I know you can still get the Equipd Bible but it is not the research app that contained all of the books, brochures and magazines like the Watchtower Library has.  You could put it on your tablet or phone.  I still have my pre 2013 version working.  The current Equipd Bible will not do this...💗

Just now, jwhess said:

Br. Brandon, I know you can still get the Equipd Bible but it is not the research app that contained all of the books, brochures and magazines like the Watchtower Library has.  You could put it on your tablet or phone.  I still have my pre 2013 version working.  The current Equipd Bible will not do this...💗

We work under Jehovah God’s theocratic system. We realise that the Governing Body has been assigned certain authority under the ruler ship of Jesus Christ, and they do not wish to outsource this responsibility. And also, please remember, that efficiency was never a part of the fruit age of the spirit. (Ga 5:22, 23) The brothers are more than willing to work with and produce material for people with disabilities. We have arrangements for the blind, deaf, people with low reading skills. And more will come, no doubt.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I hope so, because as a neurodivergent person, I feel totally left out

The best thing you can do is talk to your CO about what type of assistance you’d need. Explain it! Show him how you learn, and what issues you’ve got with the applications we use today.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 6/3/2021 at 1:54 PM, Brandon said:

and I just lost it all for a third time...

honestly why doesn't this forum auto-save your work every few seconds 😭

@jwhess after rewriting my essay like 3 times and losing it each time, perhaps it would be better if you told be why you think our apps don't have serious design flaws including lack of basic things like OpenDyslexic fonts? especially after 8 years

I may just have to do this the instant messaging way I think... hit submit after every paragraph

Why not prepare in any word proccessor and cop past to JWtalk when completed.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.