JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Library on Linux Mint

I have got Linux Mint on my desktop computer, but haven't tried using JW library with it. 

I use Wine to run Windows programmes. So you might want to give it a try. You can find it in the software section of the Linux system or download it from an outside source through the command line. 

Edited by Bek

Since JW Library is a Windows Store App on desktops, there's no simple way to run it on Linux as of yet. I'm fairly sure that I've run the mobile APK through Android emulators like Anbox. Emulators can work okay but also have potential bugs. The last time I did it was fairly involved but it seems a bit simpler now. https://docs.anbox.io/userguide/install.html

There are also some Chrome extensions that let you run Android applications inside of them on Linux. This might work. https://www.howtogeek.com/214734/how-to-use-googles-arc-welder-to-run-android-apps-in-chrome/

The easiest and most practical way for me to use it on a Linux desktop is through a virtual machine running Windows or Android, but this comes at the cost of a larger install size. You can grab VirtualBox off of the software repository in Mint, but I'm pretty sure those are fairly old and the most recent versions are on their website. https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads Linux Mint is built off of Ubuntu, so the Ubuntu version you pick will depend on the version of Mint that you are running.

Once you have virtual machine capability, you can install a fresh Windows 10 or Android x86/LineageOS ISO to it. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/ https://www.android-x86.org/releases.html You no longer have to put in a license key for Windows and you can leave the operating system unactivated. You shouldn't have to make a Microsoft account or tie it to an email to use the store. Even if it prompts for it you should be able to bypass that and download JW Library.

Edited by Myew

1 hour ago, Myew said:

Since JW Library is a Windows Store App on desktops, there's no simple way to run it on Linux as of yet. I'm fairly sure that I've run the mobile APK through Android emulators like Anbox. Emulators can work okay but also have potential bugs. The last time I did it was fairly involved but it seems a bit simpler now. https://docs.anbox.io/userguide/install.html

There are also some Chrome extensions that let you run Android applications inside of them on Linux. This might work. https://www.howtogeek.com/214734/how-to-use-googles-arc-welder-to-run-android-apps-in-chrome/

The easiest and most practical way for me to use it on a Linux desktop is through a virtual machine running Windows or Android, but this comes at the cost of a larger install size. You can grab VirtualBox off of the software repository in Mint, but I'm pretty sure those are fairly old and the most recent versions are on their website. https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads Linux Mint is built off of Ubuntu, so the Ubuntu version you pick will depend on the version of Mint that you are running.

Once you have virtual machine capability, you can install a fresh Windows 10 or Android x86/LineageOS ISO to it. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/ https://www.android-x86.org/releases.html You no longer have to put in a license key for Windows and you can leave the operating system unactivated. You shouldn't have to make a Microsoft account or tie it to an email to use the store. Even if it prompts for it you should be able to bypass that and download JW Library.

Anbox is a no-go. The binder file is removed/renamed/changed to binderfs and it doesn't work with Anbox.

ARCwelder is not working. At least I cannot get it to work.

I was hoping not to use Virtualbox, because I guess it will slow down my system. But I might give it a go.

It's not like you need to have the virtual machine running all of the time, but 'slowing down your system' if you're using both the host and virtual OS depends quite a lot on your CPU, having enough RAM, if you have a solid state drive. It's very hard to answer these kinds of questions when people don't provide hardware specs and lists of what they have already tried. There's also running JW Library from Android x86 on a USB thumb drive or dual booting.

Edited by Myew

6 hours ago, Myew said:

Wine cannot run UWP apps.

I see. Not all UWP apps are created equal. As I understand, some UWP apps do run with Wine. I personally have not tried running JW library, but it might be worth giving it a shot. 

Edited by Bek

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Windows_Platform_apps#APPX
UWP is the Universal Windows Platform which uses the .appx file format. JW Library on Windows uses the .appx format.
Anything developed on it is fundamentally different from 32/64 bit Windows apps which WINE provides compatibility for.

https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/jw-library/windows/faqs/ 

"Frequently Asked Questions—JW Library (Windows)

Will the app run on my mobile device?

JW Library is compatible with the following devices:

Tablets, PCs, and phones running Windows 10 or later"

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I used this to install JW Library on Ubuntu and Arch. With Ubuntu, binder will be installed with Anbox install, because Ubuntu has the headers for it. With Arch, you need zen kernal in order to get binder because you can only get headers from zen kernal. With both distros, it is a bit buggy, but still usable. For example, you can't play video or audio, but you can download all publications that are available.

https://www.ronbillings.com/jw-library-app-linux

Enjoy!!

• 1 month later...

In my opinion. JW Library and all of its apps should be available in all platforms especially for opensource projects on  Desktops like GNU/Linux. Not everyone could afford a expensive software nowadays unless you go cracks.

That's true, and you could always write to a branch about that. Though I'm sure that this is something the brothers developing it are aware of and have given thought to. Most developers at least know of or are familiar with Linux. However, there are likely other factors to consider that we are not aware of. There is only so much that they can focus on or give full attention to. Linux is still a very small % of PCs. They likely need to focus on what will bring the most benefit to the ministry globally. You can always use a virtual machine or dual boot if nothing else.

30 minutes ago, Brandon said:

They should just release the source code for JW Library

Without inhouse control, the opposers, apostates and malicious hackers could modify the program to do what they want and distribute it to look like the original.  It would be an unnecessary headache.

Remember, they shut down the Isilo brothers and Equipd (and they were on our side).

Edited by jwhess

1 hour ago, M.J. said:

?? What happened?

The brothers who worked on these private software apps used the information published by the Watchtower Society.  They would convert a book or magazine to a pdb file to be used on an Isilo app on your phone.  Equipd made a very nice app that worked like JW Library app with some extra features that worked on Apple devices only.

Our organization was building the JW Library app to do that work (on all 3 main operating systems simultaneously).  So they asked these hard working brothers to stop the similar effort and quit translating the publications into a different file system.  This was about 10 years ago.  We focus on unity, wide availability (not just Apple or just Isilo).  It protected copyrights and prevented erroneous material from finding a platform to use.  All is well but it reminds me of our need for organizational control of our material.  We are not an "open-source" initiative.

3 minutes ago, jwhess said:

The brothers who worked on these private software apps used the information published by the Watchtower Society.  They would convert a book or magazine to a pdb file to be used on an Isilo app on your phone.  Equipd made a very nice app that worked like JW Library app with some extra features that worked on Apple devices only.

Our organization was building the JW Library app to do that work (on all 3 main operating systems simultaneously).  So they asked these hard working brothers to stop the similar effort and quit translating the publications into a different file system.  This was about 10 years ago.  We focus on unity, wide availability (not just Apple or just Isilo).  It protected copyrights and prevented erroneous material from finding a platform to use.  All is well but it reminds me of our need for organizational control of our material.  We are not an "open-source" initiative.

Thanks for the reminder of the times we used Isilo and Equipd.

The scripture navigation was very fast on both of these apps as we can select the Bible verse directly. On JWLibrary we have to scroll to find the requred scripture verse.

3 minutes ago, WilliamChew said:

Thanks for the reminder of the times we used Isilo and Equipd.

The scripture navigation was very fast on both of these apps as we can select the Bible verse directly. On JWLibrary we have to scroll to find the requred scripture verse.

I still have my pre 2013 versions and they still function but there are no updates regularly available.  Our brother behind the Equipd app states he will not support even if Widows crashes the old version.  Time marches on.

It seems to me that JW Library was primarily developed for mobile devices, like Android tablets and ipad/phones.  At the time, Windows phones and tablets were around also, although never popular.   It is an app to be used with mobile devices for use on the ministry and at the meetings.  No-one uses a Linux device for these.   Of course, there are many who JWL on their Windows laptops and desktops, and it is now the main app for the Kingdom Hall sound PCs.   And its primary use has moved on, it is set to replace Watchtower Library, and has become a full study tool.   And Linux is growing in popularity, so maybe this is the time to develop for the OS.

It seems to me that JW Library was primarily developed for mobile devices, like Android tablets and ipad/phones.  At the time, Windows phones and tablets were around also, although never popular.   It is an app to be used with mobile devices for use on the ministry and at the meetings.  No-one uses a Linux device for these.   Of course, there are many who JWL on their Windows laptops and desktops, and it is now the main app for the Kingdom Hall sound PCs.   And its primary use has moved on, it is set to replace Watchtower Library, and has become a full study tool.   And Linux is growing in popularity, so maybe this is the time to develop for the OS.

When the brothers see (1) a need, and (2) a possibility, they are not unwilling to develop software for new systems.

If you have wishes, write to the branch, or talk to you CO. They report back to the branch regarding the field needs regularly.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

@jwhess If you think JW Library is a proprietary in-house creation then you'd be very surprised to open the "acknowledgements" section of JW Library settings where you'll see fifteen sources of code, probably most of which is open source!

On 5/31/2021 at 7:34 PM, jwhess said:

Without inhouse control, the opposers, apostates and malicious hackers could modify the program to do what they want and distribute it to look like the original.

actually no, you could open source the software without actually giving up control (neither technologically nor legally) of the content. You might be conflating DRM with closed source code. I'm not even sure that jwpub files contain any DRM.

On 5/31/2021 at 11:14 PM, jwhess said:

it reminds me of our need for organizational control of our material.

as was mentioned numerous times in this thread, even with large attempts to control the distribution and reuse of our copyrighted material, our organization has not been able to stop opposers from impersonating us anyways (including copying and reusing our logos illegally, editing articles and sharing them, etc).

Edited by Brandon