JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Time Article "What Jesus Really Said About Heaven and Hell"

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1459 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jesus-really-said-heaven-hell-173203705.html

There are over two billion Christians in the world, the vast majority of whom believe in heaven and hell. You die and your soul goes either to everlasting bliss or torment (or purgatory en route). This is true even in the land of increasing “nones”: Americans continue to anticipate a version of the alternatives portrayed in The Good Place: regardless of religious persuasion, 72% believe in a literal heaven, 58% in a literal hell. The vast majority of these people naturally assume this is what Jesus himself taught. But that is not true. Neither Jesus, nor the Hebrew Bible he interpreted, endorsed the view that departed souls go to paradise or everlasting pain.

Seems like we would agree with a lot of his arguments, and we see how people react in the comment section.

That was a refreshing read.

And many people disagree, yes. They all seem to not understand that he's not saying there isn't an after life, but in what "form" it takes is what he's talking about and the evidence in ancient translations and culture. But people are so hardended against truth. People look at the title and skim through assuming the writer is saying "there is no everlasting life". I suppose people get emotionally attached to their philosophies a lot of the time. But there is nothing bad being preached here, or painful.

If anything it's positive, no horrible place of torment, but hope for the dead.

Sad how so many people have misunderstandings of several scriptures taken out of context, of which is contradicted when the Bible is read "as a whole".

Edited by EccentricM

It's a good article, but I'd be careful regarding the author Mr. Ehrman. He's very well educated on the Bible but has absolutely no faith in it, he's practically the poster boy for "textual criticism". He's got a christian axe to grind and he's experienced at slowly introducing his ideas of a corrupted Bible text into his articles which otherwise sound reasonable

6 hours ago, Big John said:

It's a good article, but I'd be careful regarding the author Mr. Ehrman. He's very well educated on the Bible but has absolutely no faith in it, he's practically the poster boy for "textual criticism". He's got a christian axe to grind and he's experienced at slowly introducing his ideas of a corrupted Bible text into his articles which otherwise sound reasonable

Perhaps that's why so many people hate the article then, as they see his name and assume he's trying to say Jesus himself was athiest or something.

Edited by EccentricM

30 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

chocolate

I just had a piece -Belgian Milk Chocolate with Almonds.  $5 Cdn for 400 gm at Cdn Walmart.

To tell the truth - I like the Dark Chocolate with Almonds better - I also have one of those 😎 I keep them in the Snack tray in fridge. 😃:eat:

I regularly eat 2 small squares a day. It keeps me regular. 😁

Edited by pnutts

added a line

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

2 hours ago, EccentricM said:

Perhaps that's why so many people hate the article then, as they see his name and assume he's trying to say Jesus himself was athiest or something.

Could be, though I suspect the majority of the people reading his article don't know him and their knee-jerk reaction is to hate anything different. I think the truly sad thing is many of the things he says about Jesus not believing in eternal hellfire and the truth of sheol are 100% true, but then he muddies it but claiming that the Hebrews belief in a resurrection was a late development. Then to top it off he tries to bring Jesus down to Aristotle's level as just a revolutionary philosopher.

Moved to the legit news forum since this is real secular news and not some blog or conspiracy opinion piece.

I thoroughly enjoyed the article. Bart Ehrman's interpretations of scripture are impressive as far as how accurate they are. No hell, no trinity, Jesus did not claim to be God, etc. Unfortunately for him he is an atheist and by extension then a total critic of the scriptures, questioning authorship, dates when written, sees contradictions where there are none, etc.

So close, yet so far away.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!