JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Tablet resurrection

As we're in lockdown here and current literature (WT and workbooks) will run out (no deliveries) the Electronic versions are becoming more necessary.

There is a brother in our congregation who lives way out of the territory so it is not easy to deal with.. Money is tight so I naively bought for him a Samsung tablet off eBay with the idea of putting as much literature on it as i could and as up to date as possible.and future proof as much as 3 months worth in advance?.

it is in excellent condition but didn't take too long to understand the problem of buying an older model.. it came with Android 4.1 and you need 4.2 to install JW Library. fortunately it did update to that version from Samsung.. I managed to get JWLibrary on then..BUT boy was it slow to use... 10 - 15 seconds to open up a workbook page and another 15 if you go back to the weekly page. I understand why it takes so long now.. when it opens a page it doesn't just get the immediate text to display, it loads up the scriptures and any WT references at the same time. it does make them instantly available when you are on that page... but it really slows things down.

There was no further update from Samsung (why would they when they can sell another model..

Further research I found some a 'rooting' their tablet Tab 2 GT P3111 models and putting on a third party Android 5 and others to 6 (Marshmallow).. after some learning and tinkering I got Android 6 on it and JWlibray actually is ok now.. I'm totally shocked and amazed!

It is old tablet. I had one galaxy tab 3 10 inch but sell it for little money because it was too slow to run jw library. Had newer galaxy tab S than fir 3 years and after that buyed ipad air 2 and now ipad 2018. It have A10 proc.

Sorry to tell you but it is wasted money to buy 5 years old tablet to use, our app is very heavy for old hardware..

If you ever need a recommendation within a specific budget, please let me know and I'd be happy to recommend something that is newer and far more capable out of the box. My similarly aged 2012 tablet is completely dead at this point.

Respect for rooting and upgrading the OS. XDA has info on that for most every device. Hopefully it was a unlockable through the boot menu and you didn't have to use some sketchy chinese rootkit tool like kingroot. Never use that one.

Edited by Myew

7 hours ago, .Ivan. said:

It is old tablet. I had one galaxy tab 3 10 inch but sell it for little money because it was too slow to run jw library. Had newer galaxy tab S than fir 3 years and after that buyed ipad air 2 and now ipad 2018. It have A10 proc.

Sorry to tell you but it is wasted money to buy 5 years old tablet to use, our app is very heavy for old hardware..

If only I could afford such a premium device.

Sometimes you have little option when money is tight..

However, as I mentioned it is working satisfactorily now.

The person who gets will probably appreciate it... I would.

Edited by Alan

spelling grammar

I've got an iPad 2nd generation so quite a few years old. I got a message that You Tube was no longer compatible with my iPad so I deleted the App thinking I need to get a newer iPad.

However if if you go back to your purchased apps list in the App Store & re-install You Tube it asks you if you want to install a compatible version, which I did & it works. So my iPad can be used for the time being. 

Apparently this works for older apps like Facebook, You Tube, Twitter etc but newer apps that need a higher operating system than I have I still won't be able to DL. 

It's annoying that by the time you buy a tablet it's already outdated very quickly. Let's hope in the new system technology lasts a lot longer 

Some minds are like concrete ...all mixed up and permanently set! 😁

Maybe that explains why my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7 inch tablet won't let me update or dl certain publications, videos and articles on jw library?

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

10 minutes ago, Life4u said:

Maybe that explains why my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7 inch tablet won't let me update or dl certain publications, videos and articles on jw library?

I'm no good with Android tablets cos I've always used an Apple iPhone etc

But you could try deleting JW Library & reinstalling it 

Some minds are like concrete ...all mixed up and permanently set! 😁

I have a 8 inch Samsung Tab A 2015 model t350. So far I have Android 9 , Pie on it. Cdroid v 5.12 which is a bit buggy. The cooker is busy doing overtime at work. He was working on 10, but Cdroid 6. x was not working when he had to put it on back burner.

One secret if you use a custom ROM is use the smallest set of apps that you can to get play store to work. It frees up several GB of internal memory, enable developer tools and force apps to use external SD memory.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

29 minutes ago, Life4u said:

I have a Tab 3 7inch. It will download most of the newer stuff but it won't download some of the video and older magazines. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

18 minutes ago, Julie said:

I'm no good with Android tablets cos I've always used an Apple iPhone etc

But you could try deleting JW Library & reinstalling it 

Done. Same problem. 

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

On 5/26/2020 at 9:29 AM, Floyd said:

Before you uninstall JWL first delete the cache and data then uninstall. 

Thank you Floyd! 

Your suggestion worked!