JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updating Watchtower CD

A few months back, my computer crashed. My wife replaced the hard drive (I think?). She reloaded my 2015 CD Rom and it tried to update but didn't take. Gave me two more opportunities

but still didn't take. It never gave me another chance. I miss the feature of being able to extract and print scriptures from articles when studying. My wife deleted it and reinstalled it and it still did not let me update.

Not sure where the CD is now but she could likely find it again. Is there a way to get it to update?

Edited by Mephibosheth

The WTLib installation package is available on jw.org. 

https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/watchtower-library/

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Br. Richard shows the download installation package from our JW.Org website.

If you have to install from a DVD, you will need a newer copy than 2015.  There was an error on that disk that prevented the updates from working.  Use the installation package if possible, but if not try to find a copy of the 2017 DVD disk and install from that source.

I don't remember how to respond to your individual post but thank you Bro Richard and jwhess for the help! My wife was able to install it without needing a new CD. I think it may have updated my CD? Or perhaps replaced it? I don't see 2015 on my ICON now. I am back in to printing off cited scriptures when I need to!!!

Sorry Mikey, I don't know how to help you. Have you tried to download the two things in the link for Bro Richard?

Edited by M&M

Saw another post

Hi again, my wife tried to install it to my tablet and it didn't work. Looks like you likely cannot. 😟

Is their a way to get it on you tablet?

https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/watchtower-library/install-watchtower-library/

Install Watchtower Library

The downloadable file is about 2 GB in size. If internet bandwidth or cost is an issue, you can obtain an installation DVD from a local congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Click the Download button to find out if Watchtower Library is available in your language.

System Requirements

Watchtower Library requires a computer or laptop with a Pentium-compatible processor or higher, running Microsoft Windows 7 or higher, with at least 48 MB of RAM for the application and 3 GB of free disk space on the 😄 drive.

Note: If your computer is running Microsoft Windows 7, you will first need to download and install a third-party utility that allows you to mount an ISO file. You can find such a utility by visiting the Microsoft website.

15 minutes ago, M&M said:

My wife said Windows 10 is not available for this my Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5", 128GB

Only a Windows device (PC desktop, tablet, notebook,etc) can install the Watchtower Library.  All other devices can use the JW Library app or the Watchtower Online Library (WOL).

I'm still getting failed to update messages even after reinstalling fresh from the online downloaded installation.. then after the failure (it is usually a message saying is there another instance of WT Lib running; there never is)

Now WT library opens after 10-15 seconds now. like all of my other installations do; following that failure.  annoying because it is so useful to me. 

1 hour ago, Alan said:

I'm still getting failed to update messages even after reinstalling fresh from the online downloaded installation.. then after the failure (it is usually a message saying is there another instance of WT Lib running; there never is)

Now WT library opens after 10-15 seconds now. like all of my other installations do; following that failure.  annoying because it is so useful to me. 

Ditto that.

I have that same 15 second or longer delay in opening WTLibrary. This began after my first of many failed update attemps. JWLibrary has alway been slow to open in windows, but this is a first for WTLibrary.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

6 hours ago, Old said:

Ditto that.

I have that same 15 second or longer delay in opening WTLibrary. This began after my first of many failed update attemps. JWLibrary has alway been slow to open in windows, but this is a first for WTLibrary.

It puzzles me that the auto updates work for some and not others, the downloaded ISO works for some and not others.  All of my devices updated automatically with no problems.  My desktop PC (a 5 year old Dell) opens WT Library in 2 seconds.  My Microsoft Surface 3 tablet (2 GB not PRO) takes about 9-10 seconds.

The PC runs Windows 10 Pro and the Surface runs Windows 10 Home.  I just can't see how the same file works in one situation and not another....😟

7 hours ago, Alan said:

I had same issue as well. Had to manually download update package and install it. 

https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/watchtower-library/update-watchtower-library/

7 hours ago, Alan said:

Now WT library opens after 10-15 seconds now. like all of my other installations do; following that failure.

Same problem too, now I have to run the program as administrator,  extra step but it helps and improves the loading time.

I have a 5 year old Dell laptop. Has performed well for anything I have called on it to do except this current WTLibrary update. I get the same message each time. installation has failed close any other WTLibrary you might have open. I did have WTLibrary 2013 on it so I could keepsome of the dropped publications but was not running the 2013 edition. I removed from my computer ans still get the same failure and message.

I assume the problem will get figured out sometime as I continue to run the update once a day.

Anyone want to give me a hint at what content I am missing.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 hours ago, Old said:

Anyone want to give me a hint at what content I am missing.

This method has worked for some.

1. Use this link and go to the Download an Update Package subheading.

2.Download the update package from jw.org. it's about 2.8 GB and dated 5-29-2020.

3. Read the instructions on how to Apply An Update Package. 

4. Reboot your device

5. Open WTLIB and Apply the update package as per the instructions on jw.org. 

Edited by Bro Richard
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

15 hours ago, Bro Richard said:

This method has worked for some.

1. Use this link and go to the Download an Update Package subheading.

2.Download the update package from jw.org. it's about 2.8 GB and dated 5-29-2020.

3. Read the instructions on how to Apply An Update Package. 

4. Reboot your device

5. Open WTLIB and Apply the update package as per the instructions on jw.org. 

Thanks....Kept getting error message on regular update...Follwed instructions above to do it manually. It worked and I didn't have to reboot

5 minutes ago, Foxes53 said:

Thanks....Kept getting error message on regular update...Follwed instructions above to do it manually. It worked and I didn't have to reboot

Some have reported that they were getting an Error message that multiple versions of WTLIB were running, so rebooting should ensure that WTLIB was completely shut down before reopening it to Apply the package. 

I'm glad this help you.

43 minutes ago, Bro Richard said:

Some have reported that they were getting an Error message that multiple versions of WTLIB were running, so rebooting should ensure that WTLIB was completely shut down before reopening it to Apply the package. 

I'm glad this help you.

Tried that, made no difference. :nope:

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

We may as well start getting used to using something else since its going away. I haven't used it in years.

The WOL requires an internet connection.  The JW Library index is a shortened or reduced material source.

I have my WT Library on my tablet and laptop.  I also still carry the older Isilo (with the same publication) references on my Android phone.  No internet required.

I have downloaded the PDF versions of publications going back to Russell on my Iphone in the Documents program.  No internet required....🙂