JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updating Watchtower CD

12 hours ago, Kimmer said:

Having the same issues - cannot get Wt Library to auto update or create a package and update.  Says another instance is running.  After uninstalling, and reinstalling Wt Library, Windows did some updates and a RESTART.  The package I downloaded from Wt Library (not online at JW.ORG Wt Library update) worked after the RESTART!!  When attempting to Apply the Package, It looked like it was frozen up for over 3 minutes, but finally and very quickly (minutes) it updated it to the most current to include CLM workbooks through October 2020.  This was installed on a DELL E6540 laptop.  I had just about given up, especially since I have no issues updating my iMac 2011 with the most current Wt Library updates.  That was a breeze in comparison to Windows 10.

That seems to have been a problem with only one update: #2002. (In a different topic, start at this post and read on.) Someone also reported the same problem with the German version. No one reported any problems here with other updates. Hopefully it was just an unforeseen glitch in #2002 and we're over it now.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, it might mean a full uninstall -  and then a new full download of about 2GB...😪

(Don't forget to check if your Windows is up-to-date before you try this....)

PS I just updated to v2005 with no probs.... sorry for your pain...

WTL-DL.png

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

1 hour ago, Cnjw said:

updating wt library. I cannot do it no matter what i do

Several of us had that problem with one of the large updates awhile back. Have you tried downloading the update directly from jw.org and manually installing it? 

The instructions are on jw.org.

https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/watchtower-library/update-watchtower-library/

Start at the Download An Update subheading and follow the directions.

Edited by Mephibosheth
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

20 minutes ago, Cnjw said:

yes thanks for your reply. Tried that. No joy.

removed and reinstalled. Rebooted. Nada

What's happening when you try to update?

If you decide to uninstall and reinstall, be sure to use the ISO file from jw.org.

Edited by Mephibosheth
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

yes thanks for your reply. Tried that. No joy.

removed and reinstalled. Rebooted. Nada

I get error saying cannot update.. 2 versions running.

I have deleted JW library. Deleted and reinstalled WT library from disc. (didnt work) Update couldnt be applied.

Deleted everything again and installed from JW.org

still same

I merged your topic with a previous one. Hopefully something here will help you.

Did you reboot your PC after you uninstalled WTLIB?

Then did you use the ISO file to reinstall? I believe it has the latest update in it.

Edited by Mephibosheth

Just now, Cnjw said:

Thanks but that is what I did use today.

It installs fine but It still only takes you to 2017 material

Sorry, I didn't know that. I thought it was current.

In about 10-12 hours I can export an update from my computer and put it on my cloud drive for you. It's time for bed now...

• 5 months later...

Hello friends. I am going to be of zero help as I am for all intents and purposes a Luddite of sorts. I need help with my W/T Library as well. I have a windows 10 system and for many years after having installed the library using the cd rom have had it update periodically as required always without issue. Some time in the past year it quit accepting updates, a box would appear saying "Failed to validate update package". I uninstalled/reinstalled the program using a 2016 disk with no success. If fact it was a backwards move in so much as now it was only current to 2016 instead of 2020. When I tried to update it I could see it down load the package but once I try to apply it then I can no longer even open the program. Again I uninstalled it and downloaded the 2017 version from online but again it won't allow the update package to apply. I now find myself with a program that will open but stuck in 2017.

did you delete your temp folder? type %temp% in the win10 search box.  Try to update from jw.org by downloading the update from jw,org.  I had this same problem last year.

Scroll down to the following section of the page.

Download an Update Package

Click the button below to check whether a Watchtower Library update is available in your language. If it is, follow the prompts to save the file to your computer.

follow the rest of the directions on that page.

If you are successful then updates from Watchtower Library may be done from the program update from then on.

That worked for me several months ago and haven't had any more problems.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

• 8 months later...
On 3/7/2021 at 9:44 PM, rocket said:

did you delete your temp folder? type %temp% in the win10 search box.  Try to update from jw.org by downloading the update from jw,org.  I had this same problem last year.

Scroll down to the following section of the page.

This worked beautifully. Thanks so much.

follow the rest of the directions on that page.

If you are successful then updates from Watchtower Library may be done from the program update from then on.

That worked for me several months ago and haven't had any more problems.

• 4 months later...

I just recently started having the same problem in the last week or so.  I tried a manual update, but it did not work.  Error message initially is "Failed to validate update package" After trying to manually update, error message then includes to check and see if another instance of CDlib is running (it isn't)  Is there anything changed from the above conversation before I try to uninstall/install?  Thanks for the help. Ken (Kyrene).

Did you try these steps:

What can I do if Watchtower Library fails to update?
If you repeatedly get a message indicating that Watchtower Library failed to update, follow these steps to update the program manually:

Go to the Update Watchtower Library page on jw.org.

Download the Watchtower Library Update Package for your language.

Follow the instructions under the heading “Apply an Update Package.”

If you are still unable to resolve the problem, follow these steps:

In File Explorer, open the folder “C:\ProgramData\Watchtower\WTLibrary.” (this may be a "hidden folder")

Delete the following two files:

a.ca-bundle.zip

b.cert.pem

If you find it difficult to follow the steps above, ask a friend who is familiar with Watchtower Library to help you, or contact our nearest branch office.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 4 months later...
On 4/24/2022 at 11:57 PM, Qapla said:

Did you try these steps:

What can I do if Watchtower Library fails to update?
If you repeatedly get a message indicating that Watchtower Library failed to update, follow these steps to update the program manually:

Go to the Update Watchtower Library page on jw.org.

Download the Watchtower Library Update Package for your language.

Follow the instructions under the heading “Apply an Update Package.”

If you are still unable to resolve the problem, follow these steps:

In File Explorer, open the folder “C:\ProgramData\Watchtower\WTLibrary.” (this may be a "hidden folder")

Delete the following two files:

a.ca-bundle.zip

b.cert.pem

If you find it difficult to follow the steps above, ask a friend who is familiar with Watchtower Library to help you, or contact our nearest branch office.

Thank goodness - a solution that finally worked!