JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Using JW LIbrary on a Mac for meetings

I’m considering purchasing an iMac. One reason for a new computer is that the internet for many in our congregation is poor and right now the videos are just poor quality and we really need a brother with better internet to handle the songs and videos for the meetings. I volunteered. Imagine my surprise when I learned that the branch hasn’t released a version of JW Library for Mac yet!

I know there are ways to run Android apps on a Mac (like Bluestacks). Has anyone had success using JW Library on a Mac for the meetings with Zoom? If so, does it run smoothly enough? Or should I just get a PC instead?

I hear Apple are making their own CPU chipsets to break away from Intel. This may create problems for programs that currently use and run under MS Windows 10 - porting them over to the Apple OS.
Apple Macs are a great machine, but it may not be the best choice for running JW library or WT library.

Old (Downunder) Tone

• 1 month later...

The official directions from the organization to the LDC for Kingdom Hall computers was to install Windows PCs (they even provided names and numbers for recommended units from our approved supplier list).

Our old RBC people installed all Mac machines in the halls in the early 2000s up to maybe 2010.  When the organization started using JW Library as a part of the meetings, it was a problem.  Our CO brought recommendations to change over to PCs.  Our Audio / Video expert and elder was in favor.  We changed and it has been a blessing for current hosts and cohosts on Zoom to run the JW Library media during meetings.

On 8/19/2020 at 12:42 PM, McKay said:

the branch hasn’t released a version of JW Library for Mac yet!

they most likely will release, at some point, a catalyst version (which would really just be the iPad version of jw library, but tested for macOS).

when exactly, is hard to say. it could be very soon, or it might be another year (i'm just guess-timating here)

we need someone inside the IT department at bethel to find out for sure...

Edited by Brandon

It ia always good to remember that less than 10% of the computer operating public is using Mac.  So to ask for resources to invent, write, distribute and maintain another OS is a lot.  If Mac could use the Ipad IOS would be easier.

We are currently "winding-down" our Watchtower Library (WTL) that used to be distributed on DVD.  We are unifying the Watchtower Online (WOL) and rearranging our JW.ORG>Library to get the most out of less programming.  We have unified fonts, made publications available in multiple formats and so on.  The goal is to reduce the differences not add another.

22 minutes ago, jwhess said:

If Macs could use the iOS

Bethel already supports three different apple operating systems (iOS, iPadOS, and tvOS) and a lot of the reason they've been able to do this is because the underlying frameworks are the same. apple is currently solidifying the underlying differences even more, so it's extremely likely we'll see JW Library on the mac. Apple only started this endeavour, called Catalyst, just 11 months ago. But by the time it is finalized, it will be extremely simple for bethel to publish a macOS version, if fact, it may "just work," with the push of a single button by the brothers in their IDE. time will tell

• 4 weeks later...

Give it some time, as OS Big Sur will make all applications compatible on all devices more or less. The organization uses lots of Apple products for work and production. The PCs were being used because they have a lower cost effect. But since we are using Zoom more it would make sense to get a Mac but be patient since Apple will be announcing the new macs around the time we start the Pure Worship Book. 

• 2 weeks later...

We use an iMac & have yet to get Parallels to run Windows. A work around is to download all the videos/pictures beforehand. The simplest way is to go the the meetings portion of WOL and you can pull everything from there. 

• 2 weeks later...

So just my 2 cents...

Probably the KH is not the greatest environment for a Mac. This is spoken by a true Apple fan (I even worked for Apple for some years!).

I see some of our Zoom hosts that run the meetings from home on a Mac struggle. Native JW Library is really just a more elegant solution.

Now with the release of M1 MacBooks/Mac Minis that could all change (hoping)! 

Greetings from Israel 

If we are talking about Kingdom Halls then I know LDC specifies Windows for Kingdom Halls. Before JWL we had a Mac for the KH and used VLC as the branch recommended and had no problems with it. JWL is definitely better. We converted the Mac to run Windows when JWL was ready.

I don't understand anybody struggling with any of the operating systems, I really don't. Its just a computer.

If we are talking about Kingdom Halls then I know LDC specifies Windows for Kingdom Halls. Before JWL we had a Mac for the KH and used VLC as the branch recommended and had no problems with it. JWL is definitely better. We converted the Mac to run Windows when JWL was ready.

I don't understand anybody struggling with any of the operating systems, I really don't. Its just a computer.
The OS and machine code shortcuts are what I think causes issues. Apple went down the Motorola path with the 6809, whereas Microsoft went down the Intel 80 series path. To say it is 'just a computer' is like saying 'it's only a language'.
What you say is true, however French & English are so very different. So too with Apple OS & MS OS. And the core CPU differences are where 'emulators' try smooth the path.
My background working at selling IBM PC's in the 80's highlighted even 'clone' PC's struggled with genuine IBM software. And these PC clones were supposed to run the IBM software...
Ah, the good old days....

Old (Downunder) Tone

For me using the language illustration is more like American English versus British English. I switch between Windows, Mac, and Linux seemlessly. I don't think they are that different. I guess some people are not wired that way. Under the hood they are different but as far as what most people see, not so much.

For me using the language illustration is more like American English versus British English. I switch between Windows, Mac, and Linux seemlessly. I don't think they are that different. I guess some people are not wired that way. Under the hood they are different but as far as what most people see, not so much.

It's what is 'under the hood' as you say - that is what is giving the problems.
As you say, they are just computers. They have no 'intelligence'. 1 wrong word, and their program crashes.
As humans, we can deal with a British or American accent. A PC cannot.
While your car analogy is good, it has missed the mark. Apple and PC are like diesel and petrol. Windows, Linux and Mac are like English, French & German.
If it was easy, it would have been sorted long ago.

Old (Downunder) Tone

Well we know the organization has asked the LDC to install Windows PC. They design and produce the software and apps  to work with that system. They do not currently recommend the Mac... and their software and apps don't work with that system.  Maybe we can push against the design (and perhaps find a possible work-around) but that is not currently the recommendation nor the design furnished by our organization.

You might find this interesting:
https://www.techradar.com/au/news/windows-could-run-natively-on-new-apple-m1-chip-if-microsoft-lets-it

(looks like it might be up to Microsoft)

Old (Downunder) Tone

14 hours ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

While your car analogy is good, it has missed the mark. Apple and PC are like diesel and petrol. Windows, Linux and Mac are like English, French & German.
If it was easy, it would have been sorted long ago.

And there are many who can switch between English, French and German in mid sentence. The same is true for computers.   

• 7 months later...