JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Romantic love Gene

I'd imagine there's a gene related to oxytocin production. Only thing I knew of it, was that it's a hormone responsible for causing the uterus to contract and bring forth the child in the birthing process. It's also thought to contribute to the emotional attachment  between mother and child, and husbands and wives. It's also thought that this hormone facilitates social interactions.

Other sources have this to say about it: Oxytocin is a hormone that acts as a neurotransmitter. It plays an important role in reproduction. In females, the hormone triggers labor and the release of breastmilk. In males, oxytocin helps move sperm.

I also found this article. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/11/study-oxytocin-the-love-hormone-makes-men-in-relationships-want-to-stay-away-from-other-women/265314/

I would throw out the caution flag though. Jehovah tells us HE is love. Does this degrade him simply into a hormone produced in our brain?

I love science, but I love Jehovah way more. 

8 hours ago, Buddy said:

I Heard on the radio today About a study that there was a Gene responsible for Romance and love. The ladies will love that, if it is true. Has anyone Heard of that. The reason I say the ladies will love that is because there is hope.

Hope for what?  :confused:

21 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Hope that there husbands will be more romantic and loveable in the new system

We are already romantic and loveable. Now wives can not see that with their imperfect eyes. 

The good news is that this will change in the new system.

It is not important where we serve nor in what capacity but, rather, whom we serve. MARKUS HARTLIEF

Basically, people take the idea too far that we are just chemicals and cells. The ideology and philosophy of determinism. That all our behaviour and thinking revolves around chemicals, but it's more than that.

Basically it's a chicken and egg scenario. Athiestic determinism teaches that chemical reactions come first, and therefore there is no real love or freewill, we are controlled by chemicals, but this is not biblical at all, because it would mean we are robots with no free choice.

Rather, chemicals are a "reaction" to our "higher selves", our inner desires, beliefs, feelings etc, which manifest in a physical concious way. It's also how we can tell someone or ourselves has a brain disorder, like anxiety and depression, because we are "aware" that the feelings we have are not natural and in turn feed thoughts, negative thinking patterns that we don't want or actually believe in, etc, but... we are not quite "controlled" by it as individuals.

So with this "love chemical", its the "physical buzz" of romance and love, which can even be increased by foods, and so on. But... eating say, choclate (one thing that increases the sensation) doesn't "make you fall in love" with a person you're looking at, of which the notion of chemical determinism tries to advocate.

Edited by EccentricM

• 3 weeks later...