JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Headphones, speakers, earbuds, wired vs wireless

Headphones, earbuds etc...  

13 members have voted

1. 1. How important are a good set of headphones /earbuds to you?

• What I have kicking around is good enough so long as they work right?
    • I like a good sound experience
    • It's speakers for me
  2. 2. What's your preferred method of listening

• Wired
    • Wireless

Hello Everyone out there in music land, 

Does anyone wanna talk about headphones and such and their experience with them?  Because what is music with out a good output medium? 

Edited by Vinnie

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

Since I have hearing problems I prefer a good headset - it helps me hear all that is delivered by the audio.

That said, my fidelity is not what it used to be so a little drop in performance is not as critical as it was "back in the day". What I use also depends on what I am using them for. 

On my PC for Zoom I have three basic methods for listening (I also use a 4th method - more about that later *) - these include my PC speakers and two different headsets. I have a pair of Harmon/Kardon Multimedia Speaker (02320V) that may be old but work quite well for general sound for the PC.

image.png.81d58386f3835c099f23f31cc5c6ff8d.png

I also have a Logitech H390 headset.

image.png.4613c46c3875c6dea2512a7971b8e578.png

This has been called "the best headset for Zoom" by some review sites because it delivers good volume with clear definition AND has very good noise-cancelling in the swing down mic. I used these for quite some time for JW Meetings with Zoom and when I needed to hear the PC without disturbing others (my PC is in the LR). The main drawback to this headset is that it is "on ear" and can become uncomfortable for prolonged use.

I recently got a Logitech Pro X Gaming Headset

image.png.2ce7d3ce1da7eaebb6ef5423217bbb45.png

This is what I use for Zoom and private listening n my PC. The fidelity is quite good and, since they are "over-the-ear", they are comfortable for extended wearing. Not only are the speakers in the headset adjustable by EQ, there is a whole set of adjustments for the mic. These also have "side stream" so I can hear myself when I am talking on Zoom. This is a great help when I am on while my girls are asleep. Since I do not have the best hearing I cannot always tell when I am talking loud. With a "normal" headset, I cannot hear myself at all and, since the headset is blocking my ears, I really can't tell how loud I am. Additionally, if I am using the PC speakers on Zoom, I also cannot hear how loud I am talking since I do not realize I am too loud (I am often reminded I am getting loud when the family is in the room with me).

For the meetings, I send the Zoom to the TV for the family to easily see. I also send the sound to the TV (I use the HDMI connection on the TV). When we first started with Zoom for the meetings I could only send the picture to the TV so the sound came from my PC speakers. All could hear just fine but, it is a little "odd" when the picture your looking at is in the center of one wall and all the sound is coming from "off to the side" of the room. Now the sound comes from the same place as the picture. The sound quality is not as good - but it is fine for the meetings. The camera is still on my PC - I "duplicate" my PC screen instead of "extending" it so I can still look at the camera when I am on instead of "looking up and toward the TV".

Now, as for other audio listening, I have a Bluetooth transmitter on the TV output so I can use a BT headset for hearing the TV. I have a couple methods for this. I have a Skullcandy Hesh 2 BT headset

image.png.6025e78297c42f64985a45d41f3c7ddd.png

I have had it for quite some time and it is starting to show some age (I need to see if I can replace the ear cushions). It has nice fidelity and is plenty loud. The controls are easy to reach and simple to use. Although the headset has a mic - I never use that feature since I do not use this with my phone.

I also have a set of J Labs ear buds

image.png.85c72c0f992d6c266594aff24cebe1c2.png

I sometimes use these for the TV as well - especially if I forgot to recharge the headset(s) or just to give my ears/head a break from wearing a "headset".

I recently got a Sennheiser HD 458BT headset. 

image.png.575a3a17e2e6f8c55a237f1eadc407e7.pngimage.png.102c322c599f91afc770dd9d4cefbcb8.png

These are also "over-the-ear", although I would prefer a slightly larger ear cup, and work quite nicely. Not only do they have really good fidelity, they also employ Active Noise Cancellation" and block out sounds like the ceiling fan and other background sounds you don't realize you could hear.

When I am in my truck (my radio doesn't work) I usually listen to audio books or talks streamed from my phone. For that I usually use a BT speaker - I have the Altec Lansing Lifejacket 2

image.png.4096768537aa351decfd147e3f757918.png

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Nice info, Qapla. You have a lot of alternatives!

Agree completely with the original post. I've been into music production from my early teens and 25 years later I'm doing freelance production work. My main cans are the Beyerdynamic DT990 250 Ohm version, which are a great set of pro-level budget headphones. They have served me well for about 10 years now. I've replaced the ear cushions twice and the headband is currently due for a replacement, but this is one of the nice things about a solid set of headphones - they can be maintained rather than having to be replaced entirely. A set of AKG 240's is also in my studio, but they really only get used when I'm travelling and don't want to bring the Beyers. They are surprisingly good for the price - I think they were about £30. 

I hope to get a set of Audeze LCD range headphones in the future. Very expensive, but if I can save time on second guessing mixing decisions they will pay for themselves.

Speaker-wise I'm still using my trusty Adam P11A nearfield studio monitors which I purchased 15 years ago. They are 2-way with 7" drivers and ribbon tweeters. Quite clinical sounding, so coming from hifi speakers they feel pretty cold and boring, but they work well for audio engineering. For a while I had the matching Adam Sub10 subwoofer which extended the bass down to something like 25 Hz (!), but it became overkill when I moved into a much smaller space.

Improving room acoustics is very important when you need accurate sound reproduction, so I've been focussing on that in recent years rather than looking at better speakers. Done a lot of DIY and my room is pretty good now except for a big problem in the upper bass range which I am hoping to solve by building some so-called limp mass bass traps.

How about you, Vinnie? 🙂  Apologies if I went too far with my audio nerdiness...

Nah,  ALL nerdiness is  ALL good.  I appreciate a bit of deeper insight. 

I'm finding I  have some hearing damage and tinnitus because of work so a good pair of speakers might be wasted on me now, nonetheless:

I've always bought the cheap $7-10 earbuds but then one day I decided to see if there was a difference in more expensive ones. 

Audiophiles say they can tell a big difference . I'm not an audio guru but I've always wanted to know if I could tell the difference between cheap and half decent, so here is my experience so far.

The ear pods that came with my apple iPhone XR are really good all around  sound but they don't stay in my ears nor are they noise cancelling. They feel loose and I would say I lose out because they're not a well fit.

My LG Tones HBS 780  are wireless and in-ear and the battery lasted a full day or more before needing a recharge.  They sound great but alas one side broke after some 3-4 years use. The plus side is that now that battery lasts 3 days. lol

My Sony WI C400 are  the replacements to the LG ones. They are wireless too with good sound, but I think the sound  in the LG  are a bit better and the LG battery lasted longer before needing a recharge. Both of those wireless were in ear type so they fit great for me.

This week I splurged and got me 2 pairs of wired earbuds because I was annoyed that  the wireless go out and need recharging at the worst time.

I bought two pairs to try out. For $23can  the 1More Piston fit  and for $40 a pair of  RHA MA390 Universal earbuds.  Both have great solid  crisp clean sound but the RHA definitely feel better sounding.  They both got good reviews for earbuds under $50

I have an old pair (over 20yrs old) of ...I think they are Marshall regular phase stereo headphones . I need to get another  jack adapter from 1/4" to  small to test them again but i remember they sounded great.

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

On 11/15/2020 at 11:49 AM, Vinnie said:

My mistake , they are Fostex RP series  headphones, not Marshall headphones

Fostex is a solid brand. The fact they're 20 years old does not mean much when it comes to quality audio gear. 

Like you, I've had issues with earbuds not sitting right, and I don't like them much because of that. Music which has bass in it does not sound good to me when the low end disappears. Feels like I'm only getting half the experience. I did get some wireless JBL ones because I needed a handsfree set for my mobile and thought it would be nice if they were decent for listening to music too. They are good and sit fairly well as they have a soft part which you get a few different sizes of included in the box. They were about $70 Canadian (had to look up the exchange rate lol). Not the cheapest but my experiences with sub $50 buds and headphones have been poor. I am sure there are decent ones to be found if you do your research though (like you did)!

Forgot to mention I have a JBL GO mini speaker which I use as an alternative reference when mixing and for bringing to the kitchen when doing the dishes. At $20 it's a steal. No bass to speak of, but it's quite punchy and I really like how tiny it is.

Here's what I use:

Wireless headphones: Bluedio TM T Monitor

image.thumb.png.ad0e1a33fd080e17f6ca1beae76a386c.png

These has quite a big drivers (57 mm) so they're called over-ear and are really comfortable for a long use. I use them as stationary headphones for my PC so that they don't fold is not a big deal.

Advantages: comfort, deep bass (even bouncy), excellent battery life (up to 30 hours, but after 30% and lower of battery capacity I'm getting warnings every minute, it's so bad...), EQ, price.

Disadvantages: non-foldable, not very sound-isolating, no 3.5 mm jack (USB-C).

Speakers: Logitech Z200

image.png.e50310d111c60500c53164c2e9fdd6ff.png

These are a bit older but still very good entry-level speakers with an excellent quality for the price. For my environment, where my PC is, it's more than enough.

Earbuds: Xiaomi Haylou GT1 Pro

image.thumb.png.6ef4e6514fde01ef875daf70cd41d566.png

Use them while travelling and these are my first ever earbuds. I have quite mixed feelings about them. On one side, they are really good budget earbuds with an nice quality, excellent battery life. But on the other side, sometimes they make me nervous because of their pairing/unpairing problems and very sensitive control buttons. I've accidentally unpaired them soooo many times while putting them in ears and every time I get sick of it... 😃 

For studio work i always use my beyerdynamic dt770 pro(Closed Back) , or dt990 pro (Open Back).

They let you hear the sound as it is, no colloration, or frequency enhancing.

almost a flat curve.

and thats what you want when you record or do some engineering work.

but i use them for regular music listening too, i hear thing i normally wouldnt hear.

even with the songs from the friends from the site.

its amazing!

but i also love the high end stuff.

i would love to get my hands on the senheisser orpheus.

the 50.000 headphone :P

just would love to hear through it once.

word is that, electrostatic headphones are the best.

but also most expensive, since it needs an idependant power supply.

and driver.

But its always nice to dream :)

Greets,

Your Brother, Ilias Bosman

• 2 months later...

I have a pair of Beyerdynamic headphones for the rare occasions I need to listen while not affecting others, and a pair of Grado earbuds to use on the go with an Astell & Kern portable hires player.

Most listening is using Tannoy Stirling SE Prestige speakers with Tannoy supertweeters.

6504A4CB-452F-461D-A3D1-5CB068AF323A.jpeg.be07646cd6874f8bd4b1daaf15ed736a.jpeg

• 1 year later...

I mainly use Sennheiser Momentum free in-ear wireless when I mow the lawn, as they are loud enough to drown out the mower, also I use the top button of my shirt to secure them to me, just in case they are ripped out of my ears from tree branches. Also they have a very good battery life (6 hrs of use).

product_detail_x2_desktop_momentum_free_sennheiser_01.jpg

• 1 year later...

Wireless is great, but I feel like as soon as you start making music you need wired. My guitar amp, audio interface and E-Piano have wired outputs so I never invested into good wireless headphones, but have a good pair of wired ones.

Also the wire catches your phone, if it falls down😅🙌